Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDborn View Post
Sorry, but it's been proven Seahawks fans are the loudest. I'm not even a hawks fan, I'm a dolphins fan, but Seahawks fans literally caused a measurable earthquake from how loud they were. You can't argue with that. And who cares about exclusive stadiums? Avs and Nuggets (who, by the way, I like very much) share a stadium, should I hold that against Denver. Look, nothing against either cities, I'm trying to decide which city to move to, including Phoenix, and even as a diehard sports fan, my QOL is more important, and I'm just trying to figure out which of those 3 cities will provide me with the best.
The sports talk never gets old. Seattle and Denver are both great sports cities, though if you read this thread you know what side of the argument I fall on. Phoenix I know less about the sports culture there, but as far as QOL goes, you can't miss with any of these three cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,296 times
agreed

Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
As far as soccer, we have a soccer specific stadium not a smallish NFL multipurpose stadium! We also have a Championship in football and soccer. Does seattle? nope.
How is CenturyLink even "smallish"? Your soccer stadium only holds some 18K people and ours holds 35K with room for more.

A championship doesn't indicate whether a city is sports mad/ dedicated... just that its team won something. Seattle has a lot of dedicated fans, even when the Seahawks are doing lousy. The Sounders have a rabid fan base. To me, that's more telling about the fans; Its not a bandwagon thing.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM

38 posts, read 76,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDborn View Post
..On the NFL front, in last years playoffs, the Hawks fans literally caused an earthquake under the stadium. And if you say the Broncos fans are great fans ATM with all this Tebow stuff, you're a homer...
It's nice and all that the Seahawks fans caused an "earthquake" but in no way is Seattle a bigger NFL city than Denver, no way.

1. Broncos football is literally a religion not only in Denver but the entire state. The following for the Broncos is insane. Bandwagon? LOL! Broncos fans have stuck with their team through some tough years.

2. My entire life, Broncos season tickets have always, and I mean ALWAYS, have been sold out. I have never heard of a Broncos game NOT being sold out, ever.

If you don't believe me, follow the link and look at the home attendance records for all NFL teams last year:

ESPN 2011 NFL ATTENDANCE

Notice where Denver lands on that list and where Seattle lands on that list? And if you think last years attendance record was because of Tebow, feel free to scroll through the last 10 years...notice where Denver ALWAYS lands in attendance? And if you think the Broncos fans are fickle, look up the attendance record for the 2010 season where Denver had it's worse season in it's history at 4-12. Notice where that record still stands? Attendance records are a strong indicator of how large the following for a specific team is. Numbers don't lie.

Last edited by Dwavies; 02-29-2012 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 PM

My point is seattle has a small sized NFL stadium that it has to share with a MLS team. Denver has a much larger and louder NFL stadium and a stand alone MLS stadium that just happens to be home of the Champions as well as most soccer fields at any complex in the US! Denver has always had great fans! Check out all the attendance records the rockies set! And the Avs held the longest sellout streak in hockey for about a decade! And the Broncos have always been one of the best in the NFL! Seattle does not even have NHL, NBA, or NLL!!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 PM

274 posts, read 705,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwavies View Post
It's nice and all that the Seahawks fans caused an "earthquake" but in no way is Seattle a bigger NFL city than Denver, no way.

1. Broncos football is literally a religion not only in Denver but the entire state. The following for the Broncos is insane. Bandwagon? LOL! Broncos fans have stuck with their team through some tough years.

2. My entire life, Broncos season tickets have always, and I mean ALWAYS have been sold out. I have never heard of a Broncos game NOT being sold out, ever.

If you don't believe me, follow the link and look at the home attendance records of all NFL teams last year:

ESPN 2011 NFL ATTENDANCE

Notice where Denver lands on that list and where Seattle lands on that list? And if you think last years attendance record was because of Tebow, feel free to scroll through the last 10 years...notice where Denver ALWAYS lands in attendance? And if you think the Broncos fans are fickle, look up the attendance record for the 2010 season where Denver had it's worse season in it's history at 4-12. Notice where that record still stands? Attendance records are a strong indicator of how large the following for a specific team is. Numbers don't lie.
They both sold out their stadiums all season, it's not like there was anyway for Seattle to draw more fans when the stadium is smaller.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your post

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
They both sold out their stadiums all season, it's not like there was anyway for Seattle to draw more fans when the stadium is smaller.
Which raises the question: could the Seahawks still sell out if their stadium held another 10,000 seats? There is really no way to know.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 PM

89 posts, read 165,466 times
IMO, Seattle doesn't have a football culture, at least from what I've seen. Broncos fans are obviously great, but c'mon, you have to give some credit for a fan base who started an earthquake. On the living side, I'm leaning towards Phoenix. Does anyone know if Phoenix to San Diego is a reasonable weekend trip? I'm also considering (kinda) Toronto, because I've heard great things about it, and I'm a huge Hockey fan.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 PM

They did not start an earthquake, it only registered. Denver does this as well as it is measured in Golden! LSU does the same thing at death valley! Media just ran with the story more so. Many many stadiums can lay claim to being loud/stomping enough to register the motion!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 PM

Also, here is the attendance for the 2011 MLB season:

2011 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Both the Mariners (67-95) and the Rockies (73-89) were lousy last season, but the Rockies still managed to draw over 35K throughout the season. The Mariners 23K is in the bottom third of the league, but they still managed outdraw the playoff-bound Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

In college sports, Washington athletics outdraw Colorado athletics, so they get the nod there. Washington athletics are performing better right now as well, but that is a variable that can always fluctuate season to season. Plus I think that Tad Boyle and Jon Embree have the potential to really rejuvenate the fans in their respective sports.

As for the NBA and NHL, it cannot be compared. Seattle is a thriving city though, and it would not surprise me to see NHL and NBA relocate there in the future. Perhaps there is already discussion of this and the Seattle crowd can bring us up to date?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City