U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Seattle
59 posts, read 80,970 times
Reputation: 56

Advertisements

Affordable




Unaffordable



Housing Unaffordability as Public Policy: The New Demographia International Housing Affordability Survey | Newgeography.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Tribeca
172 posts, read 197,896 times
Reputation: 95
Notice how all of the "unaffordable" locales are good and nearly all of the "affordable" ones are cesspools.

New York, London, Sydney, Vancouver, San Francisco vs Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo and Oklahoma City.

*yawn*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 12,529,628 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
Notice how all of the "unaffordable" locales are good and nearly all of the "affordable" ones are cesspools.

New York, London, Sydney, Vancouver, San Francisco vs Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo and Oklahoma City.

*yawn*
Exactly...add in Houston and Dallas into that mix too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 04:29 PM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,345,132 times
Reputation: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
Notice how all of the "unaffordable" locales are good and nearly all of the "affordable" ones are cesspools.

New York, London, Sydney, Vancouver, San Francisco vs Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo and Oklahoma City.

*yawn*
we must be looking at different lists because there are many on the affording list that aren't cesspools and many that have growing economies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 PM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,429 posts, read 12,764,512 times
Reputation: 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Exactly...add in Houston and Dallas into that mix too.
Because you're SO experienced with these places, right?!?

I can see this thread going bad fast...


But anyway, what's with so many places in Australia being on the unaffordable list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,340 posts, read 5,091,148 times
Reputation: 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Because you're SO experienced with these places, right?!?

I can see this thread going bad fast...


But anyway, what's with so many places in Australia being on the unaffordable list?
Quite a few things really, - Tax Breaks for investors and owner occupires. A rapidly expanding population, greedy state government's not freeing up vacant land or zoning areas for high density housing. (Thus reducing the number of houses that can be built) and a general a lack of supply of housing.

Even finding somewhere to rent in our cities is a hard task that can sometimes take months.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-23-2010 at 12:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,340 posts, read 5,091,148 times
Reputation: 2655
For interest from this came from the housing industry association of Australia, in todays press.

"Australia will have 152,000 dwelling starts in 2010, below the 190,000 required to keep pace with Australia's population growth"

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-23-2010 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Southeast Missouri
5,812 posts, read 16,080,575 times
Reputation: 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
Notice how all of the "unaffordable" locales are good and nearly all of the "affordable" ones are cesspools.
I don't think you can say they are all cesspool unless you have at least visited each of them. Even then, just visiting, it's hard to get a clear picture of a city.

Try Google Streetview around Lafayette Park/Soulard/Tower Grove Park/Downtown in St. Louis. Downtown still has a few empty buildings, but it has greatly improved. Parts of the city (particularly on the Northside) are not good. However, the city as a whole is not a cesspool. I would think many of the affordable cities are in fact great cities if you look past the bad media coverage and your own preconceived notions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 AM
 
39 posts, read 140,580 times
Reputation: 30
Would you say this "housing market affordability" would also provide a peak into affordability in terms of renting an apt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,374,313 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I don't think you can say they are all cesspool unless you have at least visited each of them. Even then, just visiting, it's hard to get a clear picture of a city.

Try Google Streetview around Lafayette Park/Soulard/Tower Grove Park/Downtown in St. Louis. Downtown still has a few empty buildings, but it has greatly improved. Parts of the city (particularly on the Northside) are not good. However, the city as a whole is not a cesspool. I would think many of the affordable cities are in fact great cities if you look past the bad media coverage and your own preconceived notions.
You and I both have enough rep and posts to know that's not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top