U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 PM

9,919 posts, read 9,795,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Perhaps somewhat... though I don't see Plano and Bunker Hill / Memorial Villages as that comparable. Memorial Villages / Bunker Hill is just over 10 miles west of Houston's downtown, while Plano is what, close to 20 miles? I'd think of Sugar Land as a better comparable to Plano.

Many native Houstonians I've talked to think anything outside of Loop 610 is not "real" Houston!

At 15-16 miles west of downtown, the Energy Corridor is probably the best (and one of the few) examples of a large business district in Houston proper that is not in or near the CBD / downtown.
Either way Bunker Hill is highly suburban. Theres nothing urban about it at all. Whether we compare it to Plano, Richardson, or wherever, its still is what it is. The fact that it lies inside Houston proper doesnt make it more urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 12:32 PM

5,249 posts, read 8,425,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Either way Bunker Hill is highly suburban. Theres nothing urban about it at all. Whether we compare it to Plano, Richardson, or wherever, its still is what it is. The fact that it lies inside Houston proper doesnt make it more urban.
And that's a huge part of the attraction! A green, suburban oasis in the big city. Just look at the real estate prices in there... yeah.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM

1,841 posts, read 2,360,828 times
It's medical office space! I don't understand how this type of comparison has relevance. Suppose the TMC is larger than or will outgrow Downtown Denver, Minneapolis, Oakland, Fort Worth, Atlanta.. what value would that information add?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
It's medical office space! I don't understand how this type of comparison has relevance. Suppose the TMC is larger than or will outgrow Downtown Denver, Minneapolis, Oakland, Fort Worth, Atlanta.. what value would that information add?
Not entirely sure of your point, but the TMC (http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/root/en/GetToKnow/AboutTMC/About+the+TMC.htm - broken link) is a business district and is more than just "medical office space." It's also research institutions, educational institutions, patient treatment and more. And it's HUGE to Houston, being that it's the city's largest employer. From their website, "These institutions include 13 renowned hospitals and two specialty institutions, two medical schools, four nursing schools, and schools of dentistry, public health, pharmacy, and virtually all health-related careers. It is where one of the first, and still the largest, air ambulance service was created; a very successful inter-institutional transplant program was developed; and more heart surgeries are performed than anywhere else in the world."

The point was made because it was insisted by a few others that Houston's business/employment is "sprawled all over" Harris County or something. The TMC is just 3-4 miles outside of the CBD / downtown.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 PM

13,156 posts, read 12,279,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I think that's the best way to put it.

I don't think a whole lot of Americans realize that California was one of the most Conservative states before the 1990s (even the Bay Area, especially before the 1960s!). However, it was conservative in the same way that Arizona is conservative; economic conservatism and social liberalism. There was an apparent libertarianism here, matching up with California's Wild West attitude.

It seems that nowadays, the whole Sunbelt is following the same model as Los Angeles. Initial sprawl, but densifying later. However, unlike LA, Texas cities can afford to sprawl out more and more because of the lack of geographic restraints that would force infill. There are swamps and the Gulf to the southeast side of Houston, but sprawling north and west can still happen. Dallas..I'm not aware of anything that can physically restrain sprawl.

San Francisco and Oakland are HUGE anomalies in California. I would argue that they were the last cities in the United States to build cities according to the model of the east while Los Angeles was the first city to build with the automobile in mind! Physically small, dense cities are more common in Northern California, but I still believe that its a sunbelt area. Just look at satellite photos of the Sacramento area! But even with that, there is still a more public transit oriented development policy in the Bay Area and Sacramento to make up for that. Once BART connects to San Jose sometime maybe this decade, expect ridership of both BART and VTA Light Rail in SJ to go up, with increasing density to follow.

With the exception of Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield, and other Central Valley towns, California's cities are pretty much built out. Texas probably won't have that issue for years to come.
Great post.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:07 PM

967 posts, read 888,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
your point?
I think the poster is saying that the Californians on here have better things to do than to dignify a silly question like this with a response. Like enjoy a nice climate, the Ocean, mountains, etc.

And that the Texans (well the Dallasites and Houstonians) on this board seem to have nothing else better to do but to sit around and talk about how great they are or fight over silly crap that really doesn't matter. Who cares who has a bigger Downtown or who sprawls more. Both sprawl for miles on end. Nothing unique or special about that.

I don't know about you all, but that's what I got from it.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 PM

13,156 posts, read 12,279,101 times
Quote:
I think people forget that there really are alot of conservatives and Republicans in California. Orange and San Diego counties were huge opponents of Gay Marriage and are economically very conservative. LA county even voted to ban gay marriage. The southern half of the state is more conservative than people think. Even Torrance (where I grew up), voted for Bush in 2004 as did alot of LA suburbs and Orange County.
WOW, this is a HUGE eye opener. I would NEVER in a million years think that any of those LA county cities would've went republican. I knew about The OC being conservative though.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:13 PM

3,555 posts, read 3,955,011 times
Dallas is also landlocked by its suburbs. I believe the best thing that could have happened to Dallas. Now the city is building vertically more so than horizontal and investing in a strong urban core and infrastructure. Fort Worth on the other hand is not locked in by its suburbs. The city can expand northward into Denton County, Westward into Parker County, and Southward into Johnson County. The city of Fort Worth has already been actively annexing land to the north.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:30 PM

521 posts, read 701,087 times
Quote:

My theory is that diversity is a new thing for Dallas (and Atlanta too). I dont think the people here have figured out quite how to handle it. Its not like Houston or the Bay Area which have been diverse for years. Diversity happend all at once in the last 10-15 years.
I can agree with this.

And I'd add a few other cities, in my experience, that are more diversity friendly besides D.C. and NYC.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
your point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I think the poster is saying that the Californians on here have better things to do than to dignify a silly question like this with a response.
The original topic is comparing Texas up against CA. Not the other way around. Of course there are going to be more replies from Texans.

BTW... I think the post being referred to (#74) is basically a flame post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City