U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:34 PM

13,967 posts, read 21,507,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I think the poster is saying that the Californians on here have better things to do than to dignify a silly question like this with a response. Like enjoy a nice climate, the Ocean, mountains, etc.

And that the Texans (well the Dallasites and Houstonians) on this board seem to have nothing else better to do but to sit around and talk about how great they are or fight over silly crap that really doesn't matter. Who cares who has a bigger Downtown or who sprawls more. Both sprawl for miles on end. Nothing unique or special about that.

I don't know about you all, but that's what I got from it.
But there were Californians on here also. Why are you so pissed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 03:42 PM

13,405 posts, read 19,749,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
WOW, this is a HUGE eye opener. I would NEVER in a million years think that any of those LA county cities would've went republican. I knew about The OC being conservative though.
Its not all that surprising. SoCal is more conservative than people think (outside LA proper). But Lifeshadower is right, a conservative canidate wont get much attention if he/she is anti-immigration. However, as conservative as Bush was, there was one issue that he was alot more moderate and even borderline liberal on. That issue was immigration from south of the border. He wanted to give work permits out quite liberaly and he shuned alot of Republicans for it.

McCain on the other hand wasnt as open minded about immigration. He didnt fare nearly as well in LA county. He still won Orange county and I think San Diego county was close to a 50/50 split.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:42 PM

967 posts, read 1,526,554 times
Quote:
But there were Californians on here also. Why are you so pissed?
LOL, Why am I so pissed? That's like asking the sun why did it rise this morning. I know I need to work on my anger issues!

That post was somewhat of a flame post, but it had a grain of truth to it.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:43 PM

18,005 posts, read 25,249,926 times
Quote:

And that the Texans (well the Dallasites and Houstonians) on this board seem to have nothing else better to do but to sit around and talk about how great they are or fight over silly crap that really doesn't matter. Who cares who has a bigger Downtown or who sprawls more. Both sprawl for miles on end. Nothing unique or special about that.

I don't know about you all, but that's what I got from it.
Maximizing your opportunity to always bash Texas and specifically the citizens of the state every chance you get, I see. BTW, Californians and other residents not living in either state are debating it as well. Not just Texans as you seem to hope that may be.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:44 PM

3,949 posts, read 6,772,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Its not all that surprising. SoCal is more conservative than people think (outside LA proper). But Lifeshadower is right, a conservative canidate wont get much attention if he/she is anti-immigration. However, as conservative as Bush was, there was one issue that he was alot more moderate and even borderline liberal on. That issue was immigration from south of the border. He wanted to give work permits out quite liberaly and he shuned alot of Republicans for it.

McCain on the other hand wasnt as open minded about immigration. He didnt fare nearly as well in LA county. He still won Orange county and I think San Diego county was close to a 50/50 split.
Explains how FOXNEWS manage to survive in LA.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:47 PM

18,005 posts, read 25,249,926 times
Quote:

No it didn't. Re-read the thread. The post basically stayed on topic for the first two pages. After that, it started to name the qualities that Houston and Dallas has or will have in the future. Few comparison's were made between California and Texas. In fact, a few Texans (with the exception of a couple) in here think the comparison is not really that great but acknowledged that there are similarities.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
LOL, Why am I so pissed? That's like asking the sun why did it rise this morning. I know I need to work on my anger issues!

It did have a grain of truth, but I just don't understand peoples obsession with making Texans angry. It's like there on sort of strange mission to make Texans look as bad as possible.(and Southerners in general).lol

Old 02-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

It all makes sense now. Yep, Bush wasn't nearly hard on illegal immigration as McCain was. Most of the Hispanic population in both states(TX and CA) tend to be socially moderate and or leaning conservative(do to catholicism).

Old 02-20-2010, 03:57 PM

580 posts, read 902,411 times
Texas =/= California. I'm sorry, but that's really not much of a comparison. And that's not to say one is necessarily better than the other, but Texas is slower paced in general, and has much more of a Southern/Southwestern feel to it. California is Western/Northwestern. The overall feeling of most Californians that I've met has been a lot more I guess free-wheeling that most Texans I know. Plus the weather is tons better in Cali, and they actually have good beaches. And they're arguably more geographically diverse.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:00 PM

3,949 posts, read 6,772,319 times
Quote:
It all makes sense now. Yep, Bush wasn't nearly hard on illegal immigration as McCain was. Most of the Hispanic population in both states(TX and CA) tend to be socially moderate and or leaning conservative(do to catholicism).
Not entirely true. Considering the vote aganist gay marriage 53-47%, and the black revolt aganist gay marriage was even worse. 70- 30%. Whites and Asian was a narrow 51-49%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or