U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
 
Location: NYC
1,158 posts, read 3,090,514 times
Reputation: 1078

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Californians seem to have a very low opinion of all Texas cities minus Austin and (to a lesser degree) San Antonio.

Dallas and (especially) Houston are hated.
I think this can go both ways and that's what I meant in my post. For as many Californians who look down on "backwards, redneck, overly religious Texans" there are probably just as many Texans who loathe "liberal, tax-loving, hippie, communist Californians".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2010, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,826 posts, read 12,145,841 times
Reputation: 5715
Both Texas and California have variety of geographical areas that are far more varied than most of the other states. Mountains, coastline, forest, hills, desert, and plains. The climate can vary drastically as well unlike other states. There can be a blizzard in the Texas Panhandle while it's 90 degrees in South Texas. I'm guessing California is like that too.

If I compared the cities with each other I would probably pair:

San Francisco with Austin

Los Angeles with Houston

One great thing I like about California is how the large cities are all on the coast. Texas large cities are all over the place with Houston being the only one on the coast. Although it's probably best that the cities in Texas aren't all on the coast because of hurricanes. Neither state should feel insulted for being compared to each other. Each state has their negatives and positives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,826 posts, read 12,145,841 times
Reputation: 5715
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I think this can go both ways and that's what I meant in my post. For as many Californians who look down on "backwards, redneck, overly religious Texans" there are probably just as many Texans who loathe "liberal, tax-loving, hippie, communist Californians".
It seems strange to me that people view Texans as being "backwards, redneck, and overly religious". Houston just elected it's first openly gay mayor. The largest city in the United States to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,237,276 times
Reputation: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I don't think you'll too many people in either city who would want this comparison.

The only similarities that I see between Dallas and SF are (1) Theyre multipolar metro areas with multiple major cities and (2) Both have a reputation for having populations that embrace the extreme polar ends of politics, with the SF Bay area having a reputation as being extremely liberal, while the Dallas/Ft Worth area has a reputation as being extremely conservative. With both metros, the truth is often more complicated than the stereotypes convey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 PM
 
Location: NYC
1,158 posts, read 3,090,514 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
It seems strange to me that people view Texans as being "backwards, redneck, and overly religious". Houston just elected it's first openly gay mayor. The largest city in the United States to do so.
I don't think that way about Texas at all, which is why I put those words in quotes. But it's also strange to me that people think California is ultra-liberal hippie land, considering that this is the home of Ronald Reagan and Proposition 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Seattle & Bellevue
253 posts, read 811,769 times
Reputation: 111
No offense, but this doesn't work at all. You said:

Los Angeles = Houston: Both are the largest by population

This is actually fairly good.

San Francisco = Dallas: Both seem to be #2 cities in their state(I guess debatable) and both seem very similar, because both seem to be in rivalry with the larger city in their respectable state

No. SF is nothing like Dallas. Not even close.

Oakland = Fort Worth: Both get overshadowed by the bigger important sister city next to them

No.

San Diego = San Antonio: lol they just seem very similar

SD is desirable, SA isn't so much...not even close.

Sacramento = Austin: Both Capitols and "Weird" if you will

Again, No. Sac is wierd? What? Have you been to Cali?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,826 posts, read 12,145,841 times
Reputation: 5715
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_206 View Post
No offense, but this doesn't work at all. You said:

Los Angeles = Houston: Both are the largest by population

This is actually fairly good.

San Francisco = Dallas: Both seem to be #2 cities in their state(I guess debatable) and both seem very similar, because both seem to be in rivalry with the larger city in their respectable state

No. SF is nothing like Dallas. Not even close.

Oakland = Fort Worth: Both get overshadowed by the bigger important sister city next to them

No.

San Diego = San Antonio: lol they just seem very similar

SD is desirable, SA isn't so much...not even close.

Sacramento = Austin: Both Capitols and "Weird" if you will

Again, No. Sac is wierd? What? Have you been to Cali?
I agree with all of this. I've never thought of Sacramento as being weird and San Antonio is nothing like San Diego. The only thing they have in common is San. Dallas is nothing like anything in California. It's more like a Midwest city like Minneapolis or Milwaukee in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,405 posts, read 19,735,764 times
Reputation: 10098
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
The only similarities that I see between Dallas and SF are (1) Theyre multipolar metro areas with multiple major cities and (2) Both have a reputation for having populations that embrace the extreme polar ends of politics, with the SF Bay area having a reputation as being extremely liberal, while the Dallas/Ft Worth area has a reputation as being extremely conservative. With both metros, the truth is often more complicated than the stereotypes convey.
I echo what westhou said and I agree with your last statement. San Francisco hasnt changed as much in the last 15 years as Dallas has. I would argue that Dallas (and DFW) have changed more than any other city/metro area in the state and the country (with the possible exception of Atlanta) in recent years. Just like Houston has a gay mayor, the Sheriff of Dallas county is a hispanic lesbian.

Dallas may have been a haven for conservative politics at one time, but Im not so sure it is now. Dallas county went democratic in 08, and split 50/50 in 04 (even with Texas' golden boy running). I dont know that I would call it liberal either. There are parts of DFW that are liberal and there are parts that are conservative, but even moreso, there seems to be a lot of moderates here too. Probably because just under 50% of DFW was born in another state or another country.

This isnt the Dallas or 1970, 1980, 1990, or even 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,405 posts, read 19,735,764 times
Reputation: 10098
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I agree with all of this. I've never thought of Sacramento as being weird and San Antonio is nothing like San Diego. The only thing they have in common is San. Dallas is nothing like anything in California. It's more like a Midwest city like Minneapolis or Milwaukee in my opinion.
So Houston is like LA and Dallas is like Milwaukee?

Yeah thats totally fair.

Houston is like LA to the extent that Dallas is like Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,237,276 times
Reputation: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Californians seem to have a very low opinion of all Texas cities minus Austin and (to a lesser degree) San Antonio.

Dallas and (especially) Houston are hated.
Out of curiousity, what were the reactions of people you knew in LA when they found out you were moving to Dallas? I'm not talking about the Californians who are interested in flocking down to Texas themselves.

I remember talking to some family and friends of mine from Cali about where I was interested in relocating, and when I said I was considering Dallas, you should've saw some of their reactions.

When my Aunt from the South Bay of LA came down to Atlanta for a visit, I wound up giving a 25 cent tour of the city. While I was driving around, she said, "It's nicer than...Texas," and said the word "Texas" with such derision and vitriol. She had just finished visiting some friends of hers that had relocated from LA to De Soto (Dallas Suburb)., and I guess she was underwhelmed. It would've been comical if she wasn't so serious when she said it. It's really unfair, because Dallas is a nicer city than people think. I'm here on business right now, and I've been pretty impressed with some of the things I've seen. I've been to Dallas before, but I wasn't going around in the 'intown' areas like I am now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top