U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 PM

3,311 posts, read 8,282,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_206 View Post
No offense, but this doesn't work at all. You said:

Los Angeles = Houston: Both are the largest by population

This is actually fairly good.

San Francisco = Dallas: Both seem to be #2 cities in their state(I guess debatable) and both seem very similar, because both seem to be in rivalry with the larger city in their respectable state

No. SF is nothing like Dallas. Not even close.

Oakland = Fort Worth: Both get overshadowed by the bigger important sister city next to them

No.

San Diego = San Antonio: lol they just seem very similar

SD is desirable, SA isn't so much...not even close.

Sacramento = Austin: Both Capitols and "Weird" if you will

Again, No. Sac is wierd? What? Have you been to Cali?
What San Antonio has in common with San Diego is that they are both the 2nd largest city propers in their respective states, while Dallas and SF are considered the 2nd largest because of their metros (actually Dallas Metro is even larger than Houston). Also, San Antonio and San Diego both have a Sea World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,240,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I don't think that way about Texas at all, which is why I put those words in quotes. But it's also strange to me that people think California is ultra-liberal hippie land, considering that this is the home of Ronald Reagan and Proposition 8.
Don't forget Richard Nixon and the tax revolt of Proposition 13. California and Texas are both too varied to be dismissed with such a monolithic paintbrush.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,240,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
So Houston is like LA and Dallas is like Milwaukee?

Yeah thats totally fair.

Houston is like LA to the extent that Dallas is like Chicago.
If we're going to go that route, LOL, they couldve at least compared it to a Plains Midwestern city like OKC or KCMO, LOL.

With Dallas being in the middle of a transitional region, it has elements of the South, the Plains (not Great Lakes) Midwest, and 21st Century Sunbelt.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,805,151 times
What about the cities of El Paso and Corpus Christi?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 PM

6,826 posts, read 12,156,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
So Houston is like LA and Dallas is like Milwaukee?

Yeah thats totally fair.

Houston is like LA to the extent that Dallas is like Chicago.
I didn't mean that as an insult. It was more to do with being landlocked and I've always thought of North Texas as being more midwestern than Southern. As for my Houston and Los Angeles comparison I was meaning that they are both coastal cities with their Downtown being a bit inland from the coast with the suburbs being on the actual coast. Sorry if I came across as saying one was better than the other.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 PM

13,405 posts, read 19,760,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I didn't mean that as an insult. It was more to do with being landlocked and I've always thought of North Texas as being more midwestern than Southern. As for my Houston and Los Angeles comparison I was meaning that they are both coastal cities with their Downtown being a bit inland from the coast with the suburbs being on the actual coast. Sorry if I came across as saying one was better than the other.
My apologies for misunderstanding. It just seemed like an extreme comparison.

Although I dont disagree with what you are saying here. I agree that Dallas seems more midwestern than southern (at least to me it does). In that regard I dont know where I could really compare it to. The only cities that have elements that remind me of Dallas are Houston (being that its in Texas and culturally similar), Atlanta (very comparable in terms of importance, internationalness, and city setup), and Chicago (being that there's a lake near downtown and Uptown/Lincoln Park remind me of each other).

Fort Worth on the other hand seems even more midwestern. It reminds me alot of Kansas City.

The only aspect in which Dallas reminds me of California is that partying in Dallas reminds me alot of partying in San Diego. The Village reminds me alot of Downtown San Diego. Other than that, the only thing Dallas has in common with California is Mexicans/Salvadorans.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,024,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
What about the cities of El Paso and Corpus Christi?
I'd say that El Paso is a lot like the Imperial Valley (El Centro, Calexico, Brawley, Westmoreland, etc.), since they are both transnational regions on the Mexican border, primarily populated by Mexicans and Mexican Americans, and located in the desert (but very different types of desert environments).

Corpus Christi..can't say there is an equivalent in California.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 PM

13,405 posts, read 19,760,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Out of curiousity, what were the reactions of people you knew in LA when they found out you were moving to Dallas? I'm not talking about the Californians who are interested in flocking down to Texas themselves.
Well my wife and I had different reactions from our friends.

My friends were extremely supportive. They tried to look at the positive and didnt say anything bad. I would hear things like "Ive never been, but Ive heard some nice things about Dallas", "I bet its a nice place to buy a home", "Ive heard they have excellent food (nightlife)", etc. Ive even had a couple of them visit me and weve had fun. We would take DART into Uptown, go eat, party, and take DART home. We also enjoyed Fort Worth.

My wife's friends on the other hand were downright nasty about it. One of them went so far as to tell her that he would pay for a divorce attorney for her. They held an "intervention" to try and keep her from going. They also started being very mean to me. They would say things like "Do you want your kids to lose their virginity to a goat?", "Why would you want to live a place where everyone is like George Bush?", "There aren't any Asians in Texas, people will look at you funny (my wife is Asian).", etc. The funny thing is, that of all the people who said these things, none of them have been to Texas anywhere.

On the other hand, her family was very supportive. Her parents are planning to move to Dallas within the next year.

It wasnt a sex (girl/boy) thing either. Most of my friends from LA are girls and most of her friends from LA are gay men.

By the way, Im very happy youre enjoying Dallas!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:14 PM

883 posts, read 1,891,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
When did Dallas become 2nd tier to Houston. Every weather map I have looked at usually has Dallas on it before Houston. Just a further note DFW is the 4th largest metro area in the country over 6.5 million residents. Only on City-data.
I don't know if this is a joke, but really? Using weather maps to back up Dallas as not being 2nd tier to Houston.

It has little to do with population, mostly because Dallas is more centrally located than Houston. It has something to do with population because they don't just plop small cities on weather maps, but even if Greater Houston had more population than DFW, it would still not show up on weather maps due to Dallas' more central location/

When you compare metros, as you should, both area have strenghts and weaknesses, and my personal opinion is that Houston is better. Many would rank them on the same tier, Houston above Dallas,though. Just a further note, Greater Houston has the 4th largest economy in the country. Only on City-Data.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 PM

5,291 posts, read 7,190,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
If we're going to go that route, LOL, they couldve at least compared it to a Plains Midwestern city like OKC or KCMO, LOL.

With Dallas being in the middle of a transitional region, it has elements of the South, the Plains (not Great Lakes) Midwest, and 21st Century Sunbelt.
There are similarities in the topographical since, but that's about it.

Culturally, Dallas/Fort Worth and OK City would share more in common with Little Rock/Nashville/Shreveport.

KC, St. Louis, and Omaha obviously share more cultural affinity with one another as tried&true Midwestern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or