U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:41 AM

2,531 posts, read 5,322,382 times

Advertisements

^^I will have to admit that I do notice a HUGE difference in the crowds and demos North and South of the Trinity River. I live in Atlanta, a city with a large black population, and the crowds tend to self-segregate there too. I guess because the population of blacks is larger in Atlanta, as a black man myself, I don't "stick out" as much. Here in Dallas, it is a bit different. I thought I'd see more fairly diverse crowds in some locales. I usually tend to be a "chameleon" in crowds, but I do tend to notice if I'm the only person of color in a crowd. No big deal, just an observation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 AM

521 posts, read 1,115,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
^^I will have to admit that I do notice a HUGE difference in the crowds and demos North and South of the Trinity River. I live in Atlanta, a city with a large black population, and the crowds tend to self-segregate there too. I guess because the population of blacks is larger in Atlanta, as a black man myself, I don't "stick out" as much. Here in Dallas, it is a bit different. I thought I'd see more fairly diverse crowds in some locales. I usually tend to be a "chameleon" in crowds, but I do tend to notice if I'm the only person of color in a crowd. No big deal, just an observation...
cool. It's no big deal for me either, just wanted to point out my experiences, and like you, I'm a person of color. Hopefully I don't sound as being overly negative of Dallas. It's a boomtown and certainly has a lot of attractive qualities to it. But I don't see myself living here forever. Then again, I'm not from here and have lived elsewhere.

either way, sorry for any hurt feelings. I know this forum has a lot of Dallas boosters.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:14 AM

2,893 posts, read 4,208,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Knock it off with the ludditeism. Sprawl is luddite. Houston has been "green" building for the past 35-40 years with the skyscrapers. Dallas is not the city of the future with all those wasteful sprawly far-flung suburban campuses sucking the life out of the city proper. It is the antithesis of "Green". In fact, that's how Detroit built out and look what happened. D.C. is starting to turn into a nightmare with the height restrictions in the District.
I realize Houston proper covers a lot more square miles than Dallas proper, but I'm guessing by the tone of your statement that Houston doesn't have that issue? Your city is keeping companies downtown and they're not moving to suburban campuses?

Last edited by First24; 02-20-2010 at 01:24 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 01:34 AM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Texas is where California was in the 1950s. A booming growing state with many metropolis that was pretty conservative but was still a magnet for foreigners and domestic residents. Texas cities are more spread out but is slowly but surely starting to compact itself. You can make an argument that all the city proper of Texas are taking the Los Angeles model. There is nothing equivalent to the built environment of San Francisco in Texas and no city even has a chance to do so if they wanted to.

Two different states but there are similarities. Similarities that are attractive to residents of both states even though they hate to admit it.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 AM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
as a California resident i find this astronomically insulting.
have you ever seen texan women??? esp all the pigs in houston.

SMH
Yes look at this "pig" that is common in Houston.
http://www.indmix.biz/album10/021310d/thumbs/_DSC0164.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-20-2010, 01:53 AM

4,000 posts, read 6,924,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
cool. It's no big deal for me either, just wanted to point out my experiences, and like you, I'm a person of color. Hopefully I don't sound as being overly negative of Dallas. It's a boomtown and certainly has a lot of attractive qualities to it. But I don't see myself living here forever. Then again, I'm not from here and have lived elsewhere.

either way, sorry for any hurt feelings. I know this forum has a lot of Dallas boosters.
LOL man you really misread his entire post.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 AM

521 posts, read 1,115,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
LOL man you really misread his entire post.
hmm may be I'm tripping tonight 'cuz I still don't get it.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:45 AM

14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
So you guys are just gonna COMPLETELY ignore the fact that both states were once part of Mexico, and STILL have the most Mexicans then any other state? I agree that these 2 states are VERY different, but there are at least 2 or 3 similarities. Not to mention that the black community/ancestry in both states are connected through The Great Migration.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Both Texas and California have variety of geographical areas that are far more varied than most of the other states. Mountains, coastline, forest, hills, desert, and plains. The climate can vary drastically as well unlike other states. There can be a blizzard in the Texas Panhandle while it's 90 degrees in South Texas. I'm guessing California is like that too.

If I compared the cities with each other I would probably pair:

San Francisco with Austin

Los Angeles with Houston

One great thing I like about California is how the large cities are all on the coast. Texas large cities are all over the place with Houston being the only one on the coast. Although it's probably best that the cities in Texas aren't all on the coast because of hurricanes. Neither state should feel insulted for being compared to each other. Each state has their negatives and positives.
Exactly.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
It seems strange to me that people view Texans as being "backwards, redneck, and overly religious". Houston just elected it's first openly gay mayor. The largest city in the United States to do so.
Stereotypes are VERY, hard to beat. Texas could very well go blue, and people would STILL only think of GW when they think of Texas. It's funny, because last time I checked, AWNOLD the Govenator is a Republican. It's a VERY liberal state, but I STILL til this day wonder how AWNOLD got elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or