U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best amusement parks between Boston, Charlotte and Pittsburgh?
Busch Gardens 12 40.00%
Six Flags America 0 0%
Hershey Park 6 20.00%
Six Flags Great Adventure 8 26.67%
Kings Dominion 4 13.33%
Dorney Park 2 6.67%
Kennywood Park 4 13.33%
Six Flags New England 1 3.33%
Carowinds 7 23.33%
Other 1 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2010, 01:33 PM

10,604 posts, read 18,019,010 times

Advertisements

I’m kind of a coaster buff and since moving to the DC area, I will be hitting some parks this summer. We have been to many parks around the country, but mostly in the Midwest, Rockies, Texas and West Coast. I have never been to a theme park east of Ohio. I’m more into modern thrill rides than older or smaller rides as well and do have a younger child so a family oriented park would be good too.

The following is a list of parks around the area I found. Feel free to add more. Tell me which ones are worth the trip and expense (vote more than once if needed). Which ones have the best rides and which ones are operated the best. Reviews online so far are a bit dis-heartening, it’s like half the parks on the east coast are hang outs for thugs and poorly run. I hope the reviews are exaggerated.

Any thoughts, reviews (positive or negative) would be greatly appreciated.

Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, VA (between Richmond/Norfolk)
Six Flags America (between DC/Baltimore)
Hershey Park, Hershey, PA (Near Harrisburg)
Six Flags, Great Adventure (between Philly/NCY)
Kings Dominion (between DC/Richmond)
Dorney Park, (Allentown, PA)
Kennywood Park, (near Pittsburgh)
Six Flags New England (between NYC and Boston)
Carowinds (Charlotte)

Now, I know Cedar Point is awesome, so please don't include that park (or really any of the Ohio parks, I'm more interested in parks east of Pittsburgh, south of Boston and North of Charlotte. Same goes for Florida.

And if you ever go west of Ohio, visit parks in St Louis, Chicago, Kansas City, Dallas and Minneapolis, all have decent parks and of course the west coast has lots too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 01:36 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,247,459 times
Six Flags, Great Adventure in New Jersey is my favorite. Hershey Park in PA is also excellent.

Six Flags Great Adventure

Old 02-20-2010, 01:40 PM

7,177 posts, read 14,954,714 times
I called it a draw between Six Flags Great Adventure, Kennywood Park and Busch Gardens. I can't really say which is the best out of those three.Six Flags New England has Superman (err... Bizarro now) which is a top notch roller coaster, but I believe there are almost identical coasters at many Six Flags.

I urge you to make a weekend out of it and take a road trip to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. It tops all parks on your list and is a roller coaster enthusiast's Mecca. No other park in the U.S. can compare in my opinion. For a day trip, Busch Gardens, Six Flags Great Escape and Kennywood are all great.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:47 PM

11,248 posts, read 16,033,471 times
I'm big on roller coasters too, they all have great coasters and that's what makes it so hard lol. Just for roller coasters I'd say Six Flags Great Adventure, Busch Gardens, Hersheypark, and Dorney Park are probably tied with Six Flags Great Adventure having a slight lead in extreme coasters. Six Flags America is okay but compared to the others its small, however if I remember correctly Hurricane Harbor is connected (don't have to pay 2 admissions), Dorney and I think Hershey are the same way, I forgot how it works at Great Adventure though. I can't speak on Kennywood, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, SF New England as I've never been to those yet.

Busch Gardens is probably the best overall but the rest are no slouches.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,047,262 times
The Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA is probably my favorite. The European-themes is very well done and great looking, the rides are awesome, and just the general atmosphere is clean and has an aura of theme park professionalism.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:59 PM

15,400 posts, read 18,754,782 times
I'd say Hershey Park; it has it all! Each of the original sections of the park have been preserved and any new attractions/rides are either integrated within the original layout or added in new sections, continually expanding the concourses. With the addition of some of the world's largest wooden roller coasters along with newer coasters like the Great Bear....along with a Zoo and the Hershey Candy Factory; this is one family park that's hard to beat!

YouTube - Hershey Park!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 PM

6,150 posts, read 15,163,528 times
Busch Gardens Williamsburg for sure.

I've been to all on the list except Kennywood and Six Flags
New England.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:17 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,299,736 times
Can't beat Hershey!!!!!

If you've ever been to Kings Island, it is far superior to the other former Paramount parks, so basically you've seen them all just by going to KI.

I'm pretty sure Six Flags operates the same way, so if you've swung by Louisville, Chicago, or eslewhere, all is done.

Everyone rags on Kennywood, so I would not advise going there, and as for the others.....

Second to Busch Gardens, first if you're a history buff

Third to Dorney Park

Old 02-21-2010, 03:21 PM

50,714 posts, read 72,809,108 times
Eventhough I voted for another amusement park, this a is a good one that I loved to go to as a kid:

Darien Lake Theme Park Resort: Amusement Park, Hotel, Campground, & Water Park

Old 02-21-2010, 08:28 PM

10,604 posts, read 18,019,010 times
Thanks guys. I'm surprised Kings Dominion was not talked about. I was told that is an OK park, but reviews say it's now poorly run.

Looks like Busch Gardens and Hershey Park will be for sure destinations.

Is Six Flags America as bad as people say it is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or