Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times

Advertisements

South Bend, Indiana has the slowest drivers I've ever seen! 15 mph under the speed limit is the norm there. I do exactly the limit, and I'm usually the fastest on the road. I DREAD being stuck behind a car with Indiana plates on a 2-lane road.

Once you cross the state line into Michigan, traffic starts to speed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 02:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
What part of DC were you in? During the few minutes of the day when there is no traffic, they drive like a bat out of hell, particularly on certain parts of the Beltway. I guess they're trying to beat the next rush hour? The Virginia side of the DC area drives *slightly* slower due to the heavier police presence on that side of the Potomac.
More Baltimore than DC, but the area has lower speed limits too. I'm constantly having to flash my lights and pass people on the right on the Beltway.

People just can't drive.....anywhere. Although DC is far from the slowest or the worst drivers. Just a little slower than I thought they would be, although they can drive in urban areas well.

LA, suburban Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Toronto, those are fast driving towns. People say Florida is slow and I agree, but Miami people drive pretty fast.

The slowest and most annoying towns are San Antonio and Austin. Good god, move those slow pickup trucks to the right people. The Mexican plates are the absolute worst, especially when towing another car down the left lane of I-35. Kill me with a spoon!

Old 03-14-2010, 01:07 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,767 times
Hate to bump this thread, but Oregon, especially Eugene and Portland. Oregon drivers don't quite understand the idea of efficiency. People don't understand that the "passing lane" is to pass. If you are going to plop yourself in that lane, please for god sakes PASS! In Oregon they just slowly dance in sync and sit there.

I really miss when in Germany, nobody sat in the lane oblivious and delirious. They got crap done there...

Old 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
From what I've experienced, Seattle.

People frequently change lanes with no apparent purpose other than to cut you off. They also go 5 under the limit. In the fast lane. AND the HOV lane. It isn't consistent either, as in some places 70 is the social limit and that's fine ... but then once you get into the city all rules are off and you are lucky to go the limit, and not due to traffic.

And going south on I-5 into the city, for some reason there's ALWAYS a gapers delay at the beautiful scene of the city since the bridge is above Elliott bay. It's like, "OK people, I know it's a beautiful city, but it isn't going anywhere!" Then going back downhill they speed up only to hit congestion as whatever genius decided it would be cool to have a left hand merge lane (or two) only 1/4 of a mile from the first downtown exits that for some reason people LOVE to cut over to take. Take the f*cking surface roads, dummies, and stop screwing up my commute!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,574 times
Indiana, Tennessee, and Kentucky for me. I normally do 70-80 on a highway. 60mph is just way too slow for me, and in Indiana I'm sure they were going 50 lol

Old 03-14-2010, 08:16 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
From what I've experienced, Seattle.

People frequently change lanes with no apparent purpose other than to cut you off. They also go 5 under the limit. In the fast lane. AND the HOV lane. It isn't consistent either, as in some places 70 is the social limit and that's fine ... but then once you get into the city all rules are off and you are lucky to go the limit, and not due to traffic.

And going south on I-5 into the city, for some reason there's ALWAYS a gapers delay at the beautiful scene of the city since the bridge is above Elliott bay. It's like, "OK people, I know it's a beautiful city, but it isn't going anywhere!" Then going back downhill they speed up only to hit congestion as whatever genius decided it would be cool to have a left hand merge lane (or two) only 1/4 of a mile from the first downtown exits that for some reason people LOVE to cut over to take. Take the f*cking surface roads, dummies, and stop screwing up my commute!
I agree, but it isn't always Seattle drivers that cause the problem. I-5 into the city (on both ends), tends to slow down because there IS a lot of scenery. Not sure the natives cause this.

Seattle drivers are passive-aggressive. They can seem slow and non-aggressive, until they become fast and aggressive. It's a no win!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Talking about Florida and then talking about Miami is like 2 different things lol. The rest of Florida tends to have slower drivers but once your in Miami it's totally different.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
cincinnati has to be bye far the slowest i seen. On the freeways the speed limit would be 65 but then everyone goes about 55 especially in the very right lane. In the middle about 60-65 and in the fast about 60-65

Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Here's my top for the slowest drivers

1. Anywhere in Florida(especially the southeren section of florida)
2. Ohio( cincinnati is the worst people go 45-50 the fastest i see is 60 here)
3. Denver(again lots of really slow drivers people merge very slowly which is very dangerous!)
4. Portland(slow drivers but sometime can randomly become a racetrack from salem to Portand, the racetrack still is slow to me but to them its fast)
5. Seattle( again another west coast city)
6. Indiana( they drive fast on the freeways KIND OF BUT ON THE ROADS THEY DRIVE EXTREMELY SLOW!
7. Alabama( they can drive fast sometimes but most of the time i see them just crusing along in the fast lane.
8. Mississippi(similar to alabama)
9. Kentucky( another midwestern state, driving is easy but the drivers can be slow especially in the northern part of the state)
10. Arkansas( slow slow slow but not as slow as these states listed above).

I will be happy if you guys could give me opinons

also excuse my spelling

Old 07-23-2012, 06:27 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,600 times
It's extremely frustrating when I drive in Honolulu coming from southern california. "Island time" refers to all aspects of life there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City