Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:14 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,921,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECyde View Post
2010 Homicide rates for all those cities you listed.

Los Angeles: 297

Baltimore: 223

Memphis: 93

New Orleans: 175

Oakland: 94

Detroit: 308

St. Louis: 142

Birmingham: 63

Cleveland: 105

Dallas: 148

Atlanta: 80

There all as bad as each other buddy.
Those are the number of homicides, not the homicide rate. And it looks like you got some of the numbers wrong. Homicide rate is per capita, which is used to get a equal comparison taking population into consideration. To get the homicide rate, take the number of homicides and divide it by the population, to get per 100k use 1 for 100k. So for Detroit, it has a little over 700k people now and around 350 homicides per year, take 350 and divide it by 7.1, about 49/per 100k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Thats the murder count. It's not the same. These numbers might not be for this year buts an idea what a crime rate looks like.

Los Angeles - Pop. 3,848,776 - 6.25
Baltimore - Pop. 638,755 - 15.3
Memphis - Pop. 667,421 - 18.06
New Orleans - Pop. 336,425 - 13.37
Oakland - Pop. 404,553 - 16.79
Detroit - Pop. 908,441 - 19.67
St. Louis - Pop. 355,208 - 20.7
Cleveland - Pop. 429,238 - 13.95
Dallas - 1,290,266 - 7.92
Atlanta - 552,901 - 11.5

I mean do the math...LA has over 11 times the population size of New Orleans...so LA should have 11 times the homicide count, right? NO has more then half the amount of homicides but is 11 times smaller. Look it up LA is nowhere near as dangerous as some of these places. I know people from South Central that don't like going to Baltimore or Birmingham
You're right, but those population numbers are off. Use the correct 2010 census numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
Cleveland didn't have 105 homicides in 2010, it was 77. The Greater Cleveland area as a whole had 145. And all those counties listed as a whole had a population of 2,780,440. The rate was 5.2/100,000 people. Cleveland saw a big drop from 2009 to 2010, from 122 to 77. Still way too many people losing their lives, but it was a big decrease.
A drop in homicides | cleveland.com
I think 77 was correct, but even with that number Clevelands homicide rate was still 19.5/per 100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 01:57 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Don't take what CelticGermanicPride says seriously, he's the guy who thinks that Compton is soft, and who thinks he could talk crap to the gangsters there with no repercussions, because they are all "cowards" according to him. He literally said that he would lay out any bloods and crips in Compton...and his demonstration of how he would beat them up? A video of a hockey fight LOL
don't take what i say seriously? i'm not the one coming up with the statistics. you're not arguing with me when i say compton is a a lot better than many other hoods, you're arguing with documented crime statistics.

i never said i could talk crap to gangbangers with no repercussions. i specifically said i could call compton soft to a couple gangbangers there and i guarantee you the most they will do is call me a cracker and tell me to "get the f outta here." that's the repercussion. and that doesn't just go for compton, that goes for anywhere. no gangbanger would be stupid enough to risk jail time over someone like me. he makes no money from me, i don't live around there, i pose no threat whatsoever to his stash. you're right about me saying i could take on a crip or blood one-on-one though. i've trained in krav maga, muay thai, and have been training in bjj for almost 3 years now. gangbangers are the worst fighters i have ever seen fight. they run at you, hands waving, no technique, they just swing aimlessly.

i posted the hockey fight video as an example of how real men fight and as a joke, you know, "rob ray style." one-on-one, with a clue, techniques, and some patience. which is the opposite of how gangbangers fight and exactly why a gangbanger wouldn't last 5 seconds vs an experienced fighter.

nice try though, trying to twist everything i said in that response weeks ago as if i wouldn't be able to recall it and call you out on it.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 08-13-2011 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 PM

520 posts, read 730,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Those are the number of homicides, not the homicide rate. And it looks like you got some of the numbers wrong. Homicide rate is per capita, which is used to get a equal comparison taking population into consideration. To get the homicide rate, take the number of homicides and divide it by the population, to get per 100k use 1 for 100k. So for Detroit, it has a little over 700k people now and around 350 homicides per year, take 350 and divide it by 7.1, about 49/per 100k.

You're right, but those population numbers are off. Use the correct 2010 census numbers.

I think 77 was correct, but even with that number Clevelands homicide rate was still 19.5/per 100k.
Yea the murder rate per 100k in Cleveland was 19.5, the 5.2/100,000 people was for the whole Greater Cleveland CSA which as of 2010 had a population of around 2,780,000.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:02 PM

322 posts, read 614,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Wow you believe all that? You are a gang apologist. The police are absolute saints compared to gang bangers. NOLA police are the worst, admittedly, but your attitude is what feeds gangs and gang violence. The police would not be as jaded and corrupt as they are if not for the criminal element itself, which constantly tries to corrupt law enforcement. I think there should be 'gang prisons' out in the middle of Utah or Nevada, with no internet and no visitation privileges. If you go to prison and you are in a gang, you get cut off, period.

Besides, if your kids sold drugs and that's what put food on the table, you definitely cannot call the police when you are in trouble. That's how it works. Haven't you seen 'The Godfather'?

The culture of hating the police is one of the crutches that keeps poor minorities from advancing and leaving the ghetto.

Nice sentence, BTW. You sure 'said it'. Go back to school and brush up on English grammar and Social Studies, then get back to us.
Oh my bad I forgot to put the word NEED in my sentence. And yes those numbers are off...the population and homicide rates are not from this year it was just an example of how LA stacks up against those cities...

Now...I dont know what ivory tower you grew up in but where and where most people are from cops are filthy. Chicago, NY, LA, Baltimore are all well known for their corrupt police departments. More cops are crooked then not. Do you remember a guy by the name of Rodney King? Have you heard about whats going on in London? Haven't you seen "Boys in the Hood". Police are racist and take the law into their own hands and abuse it. I'm not saying there arent any good cops out there because there are plenty. But I've dealt with corrupt police myself and it hasn't always been a dangerous city. I've dealt with it in Mississippi, North Carolina, and Ohio. 600 Million dollars worth of coke was "lost" by Miami police. Atlanta police shot and killed an unarmed man in handcuffs...in handcuffs!

And you realize that there will always be a ghetto. People can't be rich unless there are poor. So no it's not the mentality of hating cops that keeps people in the ghetto it's the social hierarchy created by man that keeps people in the ghetto...and how convenient it's everyone but white people...hmmmm thats odd don't you think?

Product of your environment? That ring any bells?

Old 08-13-2011, 03:08 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,852 times
I don't want to be harsh. I agree with you. I think that police have it pretty tough, that they would do a better job if they got more support. Power=corruption, and having the law on your side while you carry a gun and have a license to kill can certainly corrupt a person, so I know what you are saying. Police need to find positive rewards for doing their job, not just monetary otherwise the criminal element will always win.

Quote:
Oh my bad I forgot to put the word NEED in my sentence. And yes those numbers are off...the population and homicide rates are not from this year it was just an example of how LA stacks up against those cities...

Now...I dont know what ivory tower you grew up in but where and where most people are from cops are filthy. Chicago, NY, LA, Baltimore are all well known for their corrupt police departments. More cops are crooked then not. Do you remember a guy by the name of Rodney King? Have you heard about whats going on in London? Haven't you seen "Boys in the Hood". Police are racist and take the law into their own hands and abuse it. I'm not saying there arent any good cops out there because there are plenty. But I've dealt with corrupt police myself and it hasn't always been a dangerous city. I've dealt with it in Mississippi, North Carolina, and Ohio. 600 Million dollars worth of coke was "lost" by Miami police. Atlanta police shot and killed an unarmed man in handcuffs...in handcuffs!

And you realize that there will always be a ghetto. People can't be rich unless there are poor. So no it's not the mentality of hating cops that keeps people in the ghetto it's the social hierarchy created by man that keeps people in the ghetto...and how convenient it's everyone but white people...hmmmm thats odd don't you think?

Old 08-13-2011, 03:15 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,985 times
that drug lord is pretty funny. before i even saw this, he is exactly what i thought of when i thought of a drug lord.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 08-13-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 04:29 PM

54 posts, read 166,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Don't take what CelticGermanicPride says seriously, he's the guy who thinks that Compton is soft, and who thinks he could talk crap to the gangsters there with no repercussions, because they are all "cowards" according to him. He literally said that he would lay out any bloods and crips in Compton...and his demonstration of how he would beat them up? A video of a hockey fight LOL

If that's the case. He should go to crenshaw and slauson on a Saturday night.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
don't take what i say seriously? i'm not the one coming up with the statistics. you're not arguing with me when i say compton is a a lot better than many other hoods, you're arguing with documented crime statistics.

i never said i could talk crap to gangbangers with no repercussions. i specifically said i could call compton soft to a couple gangbangers there and i guarantee you the most they will do is call me a cracker and tell me to "get the f outta here." that's the repercussion. and that doesn't just go for compton, that goes for anywhere. no gangbanger would be stupid enough to risk jail time over someone like me. he makes no money from me, i don't live around there, i pose no threat whatsoever to his stash. you're right about me saying i could take on a crip or blood one-on-one though. i've trained in krav maga, muay thai, and have been training in bjj for almost 3 years now. gangbangers are the worst fighters i have ever seen fight. they run at you, hands waving, no technique, they just swing aimlessly.

i posted the hockey fight video as an example of how real men fight and as a joke, you know, "rob ray style." one-on-one, with a clue, techniques, and some patience. which is the opposite of how gangbangers fight and exactly why a gangbanger wouldn't last 5 seconds vs an experienced fighter.

nice try though, trying to twist everything i said in that response weeks ago as if i wouldn't be able to recall it and call you out on it.
Anybody can talk about how big and bad they are on internet forums. You think they won't shoot you. They hate people like you with a passion, they will be glad to remove you from the block.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Police Murder LA youth in Imperial Courts projects - YouTube

Deandre Brunston vs. L.A. County Sheriff Dept. - YouTube

LAPD kills unarmed motorist on Crenshaw Blvd in South LA - YouTube

Cops Shoot Man in South Cental LA - YouTube

LAPD MAY DAY POLICE BRUTALITY - YouTube

Old 08-13-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
no, it doesn't. not one neighborhood in the entire los angeles area was mentioned in the list of the top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country.

big bad compton has 90,000 people and only had about 26 murders last year. i can think of neighborhoods elsewhere with half that many people and twice as many homicides.
That's happening every where buddy.

Washington DC is at it's lowest since 1963.

Chicago is at it's lowest since 1965.

Los Angeles is at it's lowest since 1967.

Dallas is at it's lowest since 1967.

Detroit is at it's lowest since 1967.

San Diego is at it's lowest since 1968.

Memphis at it's lowest since 1971.

Long Beach, CA is at it's lowest since 1971.

Canton, OH is at it's lowest since 1965.

St Louis is at it's lowest since 1967.

In 2006, New York was it's lowest since 1965.

But soon, they will all be back up again in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City