Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Pizza
New York 162 46.55%
Chicago 139 39.94%
other 47 13.51%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Chicago by far, I was not impressed with pizza in NYC at all. But I've never really cared for thin crust. The worst was this pizza I had in Hoboken, NJ, I'm sure there are better places but it's not as easy to come across good pizza in NY or NJ as some make it out to be imo.
Is this post serious? This is equal to saying you couldn't find good mexican food in mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 04:43 PM

129 posts, read 264,404 times
Chicago deep dish is more unique then the majority of cardboard pizza places in new york.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number32 View Post
Chicago deep dish is more unique then the majority of cardboard pizza places in new york.
You, I and everyone else knows nyc has fantastic pizza. Both cities offer fine options

Old 10-21-2011, 12:55 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
NY style, because it's the perfect compliment to beer. Chi-style is just way too filling IMO.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
new haven is the best

Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Is this post serious? This is equal to saying you couldn't find good mexican food in mexico
Please. Neopolitan pizza slaps American pizza around for fun.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
NY style, because it's the perfect compliment to beer. Chi-style is just way too filling IMO.
I agree. I'll eat thin style pizza in Chicago more than I would deep dish. Deep dish is delicious, don't get me wrong. But it's more of a filling MEAL. One or two slices and I'm stuffed. Deep dish is unique and great occasionally (especially in winter), but I'll take the many great thin crust options in Chicago before I go with deep dish most of the time.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTN100 View Post
I think this is his point. NYC pizza is Neapolitan-based, which is why it's different than most places in the U.S.

Neapolitans dominated Italian migration to NYC through the 1950's (when Sicilians took over), which is why the really old school NYC pizzerias are mostly Neapolitan, and why the newer immigrant places are mostly Sicilian focaccrerias.

Of course, nowadays anyone can make pizza or Italian food, whether in Italy or wherever.

I will take Neapolitan over any kind of pizza, hands down. I was sad to see, last time in New York, that it was more difficult to find a good Neapolitan pizza than in years past. I've noticed more of an Americanized pizza presence in the city.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:42 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I will take Neapolitan over any kind of pizza, hands down. I was sad to see, last time in New York, that it was more difficult to find a good Neapolitan pizza than in years past. I've noticed more of an Americanized pizza presence in the city.
Funny you say that, I noticed the opposite. Many spots are opening in New York serving a Neapolitan D.O.P Margherita, as opposed to the traditional New York Slice.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:03 PM

32,100 posts, read 34,714,145 times
I voted Chicago. Chicago style is a much heartier meal. I also enjoy the thickness and richness of the sauce and the huge tomato chunks. It's usually a spicier pizza, too.

NY Pizza is just okay. I'm not a big fan of the thin crust even though I'm from the East Coast. NYC-style pizza is terribly overrated, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I agree. I'll eat thin style pizza in Chicago more than I would deep dish. Deep dish is delicious, don't get me wrong. But it's more of a filling MEAL. One or two slices and I'm stuffed. Deep dish is unique and great occasionally (especially in winter), but I'll take the many great thin crust options in Chicago before I go with deep dish most of the time.
Haha. I missed this post. Chicago pizza is more filling. But I like that. You know you've had a good meal when you just lean back away from the table and go "Ahhhhhhhh." It almost puts you right to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City