U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:26 PM

832 posts, read 3,499,743 times

Advertisements

Most large cities are pretty diverse. Even Phoenix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 03:29 PM

53 posts, read 323,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicago is definitely blue, but most of the suburbs are red, surprisingly. Er, at least DuPage County is.
It's a good thing one-fifth of Illinois resides in Chicago or that state would be red territory.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:37 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,613,017 times
/\ It used to be TWO fifths . Anyways, i'm surprised that nobody has brought up Colo. Springs. Focus on the Family, AFA, a crimson combination.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:41 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,151,352 times
Mesa, Arizona I think would win for most conservative city with over 300,000 people. Other large cities that at least lean somewhat strongly conservative: Colorado Springs, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Wichita, Jacksonville, Virginia Beach, Omaha, Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

Salt Lake City is actually a smaller city (around 190K people) with a large metro area, but the city itself is surprisingly liberal. It's not Seattle by any means, but the city has one of the nation's most liberal mayors and voted by over 60% percent against a gay marriage ban (which passed anyways statewide) in 2004.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:45 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Salt Lake City and other cities along the Wasatch Front, such as Provo and Ogden.
Even Salt Lake has a gay mayor. I think that the cities that are bandied about here have moderate governments. It's more realistic to say that their suburbs are where the conservatives hang out.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:46 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,609,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTypingGuy View Post
It's a good thing one-fifth of Illinois resides in Chicago or that state would be red territory.
Agreed. Most of rural Illinois is outside of Chicago really isn't a whole lot different from rural Indiana, rural Ohio, or rural Missouri. Indiana, Ohio, and Missouri these days seem to me to be red states. Chicago is bigger as a whole than St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland combined. It's not surprising that these three states are red while Illinois is blue. I think it also has to do with the part of Illinois Chicago is in. Northern Illinois has more in common with Iowa than it does with Missouri or Indiana, and Iowa unlike these two states is blue in its rural areas and cities. Put Chicago in the blue area of Illinois, and frankly it's not surprisingly it overwhelms the red parts. Cleveland and Columbus and Toledo aren't big enough to overwhelm the rural parts of Ohio and Cincinnati, especially taking into account these cities have their own red areas. St. Louis and Kansas City together are not big enough in size to overwhelm Missouri for the same reasons. Chicago is more than big enough to overwhelm rural Illinois and the red parts of it.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:54 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,609,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Even Salt Lake has a gay mayor. I think that the cities that are bandied about here have moderate governments. It's more realistic to say that their suburbs are where the conservatives hang out.
Salt Lake City has a gay mayor? That's surprising especially considering how Mormon that city is. I read about a murder that occured in 1992 in parks city close by to there of a gay man and even though a conviction seemed guaranteed, and it the two people on trial for killing him claimed they did it because he was homosexual, the Mormon judge and the jury acquitted one and sentenced another to probation. Salt Lake City is about the last place I'd have expected to see a gay mayor.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:06 PM

579 posts, read 1,105,614 times
Default Why are rural areas in Iowa and Illinois more liberal than rural areas in states like Missouri, Indiana, or Ohio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
. . . I think it also has to do with the part of Illinois Chicago is in. Northern Illinois has more in common with Iowa than it does with Missouri or Indiana, and Iowa unlike these two states is blue in its rural areas and cities. Put Chicago in the blue area of Illinois, and frankly it's not surprisingly it overwhelms the red parts . . .
Why are rural areas in Iowa and northern Illinois more liberal than rural areas in states like Missouri, Indiana, or Ohio?

Old 06-01-2007, 04:29 PM

442 posts, read 1,902,970 times
Tulsa, Tulsa, Tulsa. It's the most white, christian, republican city you can find. Not that that's necessarily a bag thing.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:37 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
New story about how liberal Dallas is: The Lavender Heart of Texas | TIME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or