U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 07:45 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,679,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
A "red state" is a state that went for the Republican, specifically Bush, in national election while a "blue state" is one that went for the Democrat. It really should be the opposite of that as red is traditionally the color of the Left, not Right, but the terminology comes from what colors the network maps used in 2000.

Alaska, Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Utah, and Wyoming are among the "reddest" states as they've went for the Republican Presidential candidate since 1968 while having an above average percentage of Republicans. Alabama, Oklahoma, and South Carolina are also very "red" as they tend to go with conservatives although locally that still can mean conservative Democrats. A "red" state can have a "blue" county. For example Lawrence, Kansas is a fairly liberal college town and several majority-black counties in Alabama or South Carolina are solidly Democratic. (If not necessarily socially liberal)

Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington, and Wisconsin have went for the Democratic candidate for President since 1988 going by my info. As with the above a "blue state" can have a red county or region. The eastern parts of Oregon and Washington are much more Republican than the rest. Minnesota Congresswoman Michelle Bachman is possibly the most Right-wing person in Congress at present.
>>>>>
Alabama, Oklahoma, and South Carolina are also very "red" as they tend to go with conservatives although locally that still can mean conservative Democrats.
<<<<<

Yep. Also, don't forget Arkansas as another Southern state with a huge population of conservative Dems.

Question: When will the Democratic Party learn that that there are many socially conservative Dems just waiting for more support for the Pro-Life movement? Oh yeh, I forgot, it's more about money than morality.
*sigh, shakes head*
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,893,351 times
Yes Arkansas, my home state, also has a good deal of conservatism. I think several important members of "Democrats for Life of America", an anti-abortion group of Democrats, are Arkansawyers.

I wonder if someone should do a "most liberal rural area" as a counterpoint to this?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:14 PM

5,843 posts, read 14,005,830 times
Quote:
Yes Arkansas, my home state, also has a good deal of conservatism. I think several important members of "Democrats for Life of America", an anti-abortion group of Democrats, are Arkansawyers.

I wonder if someone should do a "most liberal rural area" as a counterpoint to this?
One of the most liberal rural areas would be MN's Iron Range. Often votes more democratic than the Twin Cities do.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,679,462 times
Quote:

>>>>>
<<<<<

And this is why Okies and Texans like to partner with such good folk.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,470 times
women and colored people can be CONSERVATIVE! they worry about the future and uphold liberty, too! many colored people who have come to the u.s (and canada) left their birthplaces for the same reasons the puritans did. so if you see women and colored people in a community and in office, don't jump to generalizations. remember that we were all created equal. this is for "bostoner"

Old 03-03-2010, 09:04 AM

56,252 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmate View Post
women and colored people can be CONSERVATIVE! they worry about the future and uphold liberty, too! many colored people who have come to the u.s (and canada) left their birthplaces for the same reasons the puritans did. so if you see women and colored people in a community and in office, don't jump to generalizations. remember that we were all created equal. this is for "bostoner"
What the? This doesn't make sense and is using antiquated language.

Anyway, Dallas, Oklahoma City, San Diego, Phoenix and maybe Omaha, among some others.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 AM

726 posts, read 1,865,173 times
"colored" people?! ouch.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM

5,843 posts, read 14,005,830 times
Colored people? Where have you been the last 40 years?

Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 7,288,176 times
Depend on what you mean by conservative. Social or economic? I think Chicago is sort of socially conservative or moderate while being liberal in everything else like welfare, labor etc. A blue city doesn't mean it can't be a conservative city.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:11 AM

648 posts, read 1,413,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmate View Post
National Black Republican Association | National Black Republican Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or