Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't know why big cities are even in this equation. Most big cities have "diversity" and some element of a mix of cultures. How is that unique?
If all of the diversity in these cities mix together to form one basic culture i.e. a Melting pot (few cities do this), then they can count.

Most big cities however are just diverse and l agree that it doesn't make them unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It is. You can be in the Appalachians in Lake Placid skating on a pond outside, skiing, etc. It feels like a small german town. But if you go to the east end of Long Island, you'll have warmer weather and towns with a beach feel.
Well, honestly, most states could say that... it would just be a different ethnic group or a different natural feature named. I don't see how that makes the state of New York unique. Does it have an element, like a type of music or cuisine it's known for? The state, not New York City? I don't think so. That's why I wouldn't consider New York State unique. Texas, Hawaii, Louisiana and some of these other places mentioned, yes, but what is truly unique about New York State that makes it stand out? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of anything. Almost everything people know about NY is associated with New York City, not the state... case in point, "New York State of Mind." The only unique thing I'm aware of coming out of upstate is buffalo wings.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:33 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Queens county is the most diverse county in the country.
One county of an entire state doesn't make NY state unique, just NYC

Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
I'd say Hawaii. It was its own country at one point, and still has a lot of its old culture.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I'd say Hawaii. It was its own country at one point, and still has a lot of its old culture.
Exactly, ALOT of states don't retain alot of the ORIGINAL culture that originated from that state. Hawaii is one of the few(if not the only) state to do it.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:08 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolperson121 View Post
like what state pops in your mind saying "unigue"? other than N.Y or Cali though lol
All states are very "unigue" in their own way!!!

Especially My home state of West "By God" Virginia!!! LOL

Old 03-03-2010, 03:21 PM

26 posts, read 90,155 times
thanks for all the replys so far lol
to me it doesent have to be location that makes it unigue, to me it can be the religion, dialect, or feeling of the area too if that makes sense lol
thats why i picked Utah, even southern Idaho isnt the same to me.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:26 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
Well, honestly, most states could say that... it would just be a different ethnic group or a different natural feature named. I don't see how that makes the state of New York unique. Does it have an element, like a type of music or cuisine it's known for? The state, not New York City? I don't think so. That's why I wouldn't consider New York State unique. Texas, Hawaii, Louisiana and some of these other places mentioned, yes, but what is truly unique about New York State that makes it stand out? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of anything. Almost everything people know about NY is associated with New York City, not the state... case in point, "New York State of Mind." The only unique thing I'm aware of coming out of upstate is buffalo wings.
Niagara falls? Adirondacks? Some upstate cities have their own cuisines also. But as a whole, no state really has a unique culture with the exception of Hawaii maybe. NY is too varied to have one unique culture along with most other states.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post

I said one example earlier. You can be in Lake Placid in a small town that looks like it's out of Germany, while you ice skate outside on the track outside the high school or ski. Then it's about a 5-6 hour drive to the most diverse county in the country where you can get about 20 different ethnic foods in walking distance of one another in a certain neighborhood. You then drive about 3 hours to the east end of Long island where it will be nearly 15 degrees warmer than Lake Placid in a beachy town walking around outside along some of the nicest beaches in the country. All while being in the same state.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:46 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
I said one example earlier. You can be in Lake Placid in a small town that looks like it's out of Germany, while you ice skate outside on the track outside the high school or ski. Then it's about a 5-6 hour drive to the most diverse county in the country where you can get about 20 different ethnic foods in walking distance of one another in a certain neighborhood. You then drive about 3 hours to the east end of Long island where it will be nearly 15 degrees warmer than Lake Placid in a beachy town walking around outside along some of the nicest beaches in the country. All while being in the same state.
This isn't something that can only be found in New York State. You honestly think NYS is the only place where there are mountains, beaches, lots of different ethnic foods, and variations in climate??

And this thread is about unique culture that doesn't really exist elsewhere, not about all the different things you can do in a single state. The different cultures found in Queens are also found in other states as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City