Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:32 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
What state has one uniform, unique culture? I've never heard of it.
Hawaii

All this BS about diversity of cultures somehow equating to a unique culture is nauseating already. That isn't even unique to one state either, having a slightly better balance of different ethnicities doesn't make a state any more unique than the next either, same cultures just a different balance of each. States that are more isolated are more likely to have a distinct unique culture, northeastern states are anything but isolated. I swear some people just see a thread and try to figure out how to throw their state in there rather than think about what states actually belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Hawaii
Ah, I stand corrected. I think Hawaii can definitely claim the most unique culture in the United States. It's so easy to forget about that place!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:35 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
Hawaii
There's a lot of Asians in Hawaii as well as Asian culture. There are more Asians then Native Hawaiians or whites actually.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
There's a lot of Asians in Hawaii as well as Asian culture. There are more Asians then Native Hawaiians or whites actually.
Hawaiian culture is found through out out the state and doesn't vary from one place to the next. Most native born Asians adopt Hawaiian culture and not their ancestral culture. But you have a point about the different Asian cultures that do exist there as well. I just feel HI has the most uniformity throughout the state with it's distinct culture, maybe New Mexico too but I haven't been. Culture in places like Louisiana and Texas vary from one part to the next more so and isn't as uniform imo.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
I am talking about the state of Texas, not the city of Houston.
Well Dallas and Houston are both VERY diverse. the two metros make up about half the states population so diversity is a pretty significant part of our culture.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Hawaii and Louisiana come to mind first, due to their Polynesian / Japanese and French influences, respectively.

I agree with others that diversity is not what we're talking about here.

Last edited by le roi; 03-04-2010 at 10:58 AM..

Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
The title of the thread says "what state do you think has the most unique culture?".

How a person defines "unique" culture is completely their opinion. One person sees unique culture by different ethnicities (cultures), another may see unique as specializing in one particular culture, it's all an opinion.

In my opinion, unique culture is having an abundance of culture from all over the world and not one particular area in general. For example....

Texas is well known for specializing in Latin American culture, which is unique. However, in my opinion New Jersey and Minnesota has even more of a unique culture because they are both more well rounded.
To repeat, here's what the OP meant by culture and what he intended with this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolperson121 View Post
People, lest stay on topic please =/
Diversity does not=unigue
im talking about something you wouldnt normally experience somewhere else, it doesent have to be the climate either though.
Again, CULTURAL DIVERSITY DOES NOT EQUAL UNIQUE CULTURE. "Unique culture" means a shared way of life only found in great abundance in that particular state. Texas fits this while New Jersey does not because while both places are culturally and racially diverse, with NJ most diverse, Texas overall has a COMMON culture not found outside that state. For example, Texas has its own cuisine indigenous to the state. I make Tex-Mex at home here in Mass. because I ate that food back home more than any other. Everybody in Texas eats Tex-Mex, everybody! This is just one aspect of one example of what is meant by unique culture. There's also music, clothing style, language/vocabulary, and other aspects to consider. For that matter, I could argue that Massachusetts is unique, however much of what is unique about its culture spills over into bordering states, and in the end is more of a regional New England thing than a state thing.

Last edited by houstoner; 03-04-2010 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Hawaiian culture is found through out out the state and doesn't vary from one place to the next. Most native born Asians adopt Hawaiian culture and not their ancestral culture. But you have a point about the different Asian cultures that do exist there as well. I just feel HI has the most uniformity throughout the state with it's distinct culture, maybe New Mexico too but I haven't been. Culture in places like Louisiana and Texas vary from one part to the next more so and isn't as uniform imo.
I haven't been to Hawaii actually. In a college class I had a while back, we had a guess professor who grew up in Hawaii do a lecture on the Japanese community in Hawaii after Pearl Harbor. It was really interesting. So that's how I know about the Asian large community in Hawaii. You might be right. I've never actually been. As for New Mexico, it's kind of a mix between Native American, Mexican, and Western culture but it all seems to blend together to me. Although, I'm not an expert on the state or anything.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Hawaii and Louisiana come to mind first, due to their Polynesian / Japanese and French influences, respectively.

I agree with others that diversity is not what we're talking about here.
Exactly, it's Polynesian roots have NEVER been lost.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly, it's Polynesian roots have NEVER been lost.

at the same time, there's no line in the sand. Polynesians did migrate to Hawaii, the same way that the Cajuns and creole weren't always in Louisiana, Mormons weren't always in Utah, Geechee weren't always in South Carolina.

so there's no clear and objective distinction between the "uniqueness" of those cultures, and say, the uniqueness of a relatively recent dominican immigrant community in NY or NJ.

i think the difference is subjective -- when you say "New York", you don't think "Dominican culture." You don't really think anything, because there's so many different groups. However, when you say "Hawaii", you definitely think polynesian. When you say Utah, mormons are what come to mind -- at least for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City