U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 03:39 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,844,094 times

Advertisements

NYC, but I have my preferences and biases. After all, I chose NYC!

I can't take oppressive heat (DC is hard for me even during the summer) and the opportunities are amazing here.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 04:28 PM

594 posts, read 554,542 times
Phoenix ! ! !

Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 PM

401 posts, read 431,271 times
Grew up in NYC/LI area. Job market in NYC is massive. I've seen fresh college grads make far more here than other cities. For my career choice, the echelon has historically been in NYC in terms of pay/prestige. Although in terms living, Northern Jersey tends to offer more for the buck.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:25 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,016,887 times
NYC is too crowded, too expensive, and too competitive for my field. Although NYC is without a doubt an overall better city, I'd go with Phoenix.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:41 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,916,308 times
I think that NYC is the better city of the two, but then again NYC is arguably the most important city in the world. NYC would be a dream, if I could live like the 1 percent does lol. For me, personally, NYC is too crowded, and you're always on the move. I like having a pool, not living in a cramped apartment, and I enjoy the stunning sunsets and hikes that Phoenix has to offer (doesn't feel like you are constantly surrounded by a neverending flood of humanity). I also think NYC gets too cold in the winter, and too muggy in the summer. In the long run, you really can't go wrong either city, I just prefer the west.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:59 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,663,007 times
NYC easily.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:07 PM

563 posts, read 607,832 times
i doubt i want to live after 30 in NYC. NYC not really to raise family unless LI or Upstate

Old 05-18-2016, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 2,286 times
I haven't lived in NYC (only Boston), but I have lived in Phoenix. What industry are you in? Phoenix has a handful of Fortune 500 companies (I think four), but there's zero comparison to the diverse economic powerhouse that is NYC. You could reinvent yourself infinitely more times in NYC than you could in Phoenix.

Let's assume you've found a career track in both cities. What are your priorities? Are you going to be single and without attachments, or will you have a family in tow? NYC is infinitely more fun to be single, Phoenix is more affordable for families though I can't speak to the quality of the schools. How do you like to spend your free time? Are you looking for the cultural amenities that NYC can offer, or do you prefer to go outdoors? Even if you do like the outdoors (as I do), the monotony of the desert got old for me pretty quickly. However, Flagstaff and northern Arizona are only a couple of hours away, and the scenery is much more like Washington state in my view. If you want your four seasons, then hands down NYC. Phoenix's "seasons" are less hot, hot, and holy **** why do people choose to live here hot. Where do your politics lie? Phoenix is somewhat balanced for what it is, but the rest of AZ is very much a red state.

From my own personal experience, you can live a perfectly comfortable and content life in Phoenix, but I found it to be excruciatingly dull after a while (again, I'm young and without a family of my own), not to mention unbearably hot in the summer. I got more seasonal depression being cooped up in the 110+ heat than I did during the grayer months when I lived in Seattle.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:51 PM

594 posts, read 554,542 times
3 post......we all know how you bash Phoenix in every chance you get, and how you were moving to Vegas. A city with this and that you claimed.....well I went on the
Vegas forum and now you're bashing Vegas too. I don't understand, you've only been there for a few months and you're bashing it already.

Did you tire of using " Lovecrowds " or did you banned..AGAIN ?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:21 AM

721 posts, read 396,690 times
Phoenix has better weather, but in New York you will make more money and have more career opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or