U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHich city has the best freeway system of the 10 largest MSA's?
Dallas/Ft. Worth 99 15.94%
Houston 149 23.99%
LA 160 25.76%
NYC 29 4.67%
Chicago 57 9.18%
Philly 11 1.77%
DC 17 2.74%
Miami 9 1.45%
Atlanta 54 8.70%
Detroit 36 5.80%
Voters: 621. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:06 AM

1,855 posts, read 4,291,160 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty impressed with the Texas freeways. They look clean and well-maintained, whereas the freeways in Los Angeles are very dirty and littered with debris and graffiti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:40 PM

883 posts, read 1,976,496 times
Well, im sorry to have given you a false impression. Some Houston freeways are nice, and others not so nice.

The worst freeway is 1-45!! Especially before you pass downtown, but as you approach Galveston County they get a lot better. Once you visit, you'll think twice about Houston's "clean" freeways. Generally, freeways to the west are nice and clean. To the north, ranging from average to nice and clean. To the east, from trashed to average. To the south, from trashed to nice and clean.

But, its pretty nice for the most part. But ,were no Dallas, and we do not hide our urban grit at all. Which i like.

Example,

Looks like LA, doesn't it!
Incredible Photos of Houston - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 10-27-2009, 04:28 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,770,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Well, im sorry to have given you a false impression. Some Houston freeways are nice, and others not so nice.

The worst freeway is 1-45!! Especially before you pass downtown, but as you approach Galveston County they get a lot better. Once you visit, you'll think twice about Houston's "clean" freeways. Generally, freeways to the west are nice and clean. To the north, ranging from average to nice and clean. To the east, from trashed to average. To the south, from trashed to nice and clean.

But, its pretty nice for the most part. But ,were no Dallas, and we do not hide our urban grit at all. Which i like.

Example,

Looks like LA, doesn't it!
Incredible Photos of Houston - SkyscraperPage Forum
Haha, it REALLY does look like LA.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:29 PM

15,587 posts, read 23,212,960 times
One thing for certain is it is not Chicago.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:31 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,816,975 times
Richmond has a rather huge network of freeways when compared to its metro's size.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:33 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,465,585 times
I love Houston's freeways-when there is no traffic. They do a pretty good job at getting people in and out to the nodes/cores that make up the city, and they're designed to carry heavy amounts of traffic. Yeah, I know some of the urban snobs hate that, but in a city like Houston which is autocentric, that's just the reality there. The 290/Sam Houston Tollway stack is my favorite in Texas (with the High Five in Dallas a VERY close second). It's just so tall and intimidating and damn fun to drive on.

I think Dallas/Ft. Worth has a great grid system of freeways, which is appropriate for a multi-polar region like the Metroplex.

Phoenix's system is very impressive in relation to the size and sprawl of the Valley of The Sun. And most of the infrastructure is less than 20 years old (except for portions of I-10 and I-17), but has been pretty decent at keeping up with the growth in that area.

Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Kansas City have great freeway systems as well, particularly for cities of their size.

Whoever voted for Atlanta must had been joking. Atlanta's freeway system was great when there were only 2.5 million people here, not so much with the 5.6 million that we have now. The "Freeing the Freeways" program in the 80's that widened and overhauled the infrastructure was completed before the Olympics came to town. I don't think the engineers and planners expected Metro Atlanta to have grown as rapidly as it has. Spaghetti Junction was already outdated within 10 years of it being completed in 1987. The Hub-and-spoke design of our system was great back when people only worked in Downtown. I don't think anyone expected Dunwoody/Sandy Springs, Cumberland/Galleria, or Alpharetta to become the business centers that they are now.

Also, unlike PHX, or DFW, Atlanta doesn't have a grid arterial system to accommodate and complement the freeways. Think about it. If I'm stuck on say, the LBJ freeway in D-Town, I can use Forest Lane or Spring Valley Road. In Atlanta, if I-285 is backed up, I'm more or less stuck like chuck. There are some arterial alternatives, but they're usually two-laned and not designed to handle alternatives to freeway traffic, so you might as well stick it out on I-285.

Houston doesn't have a grid system quite like DFW or PHX, but their arterial alternatives are a heck of a lot better than Atlanta's. But picking between Westheimer or the Katy Freeway (which was mercifully widened) is a 'pick your poison' situation to me.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 PM

113 posts, read 222,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Some more of Houston

Now you see the pictures...that is what you call some freeways. I really like houston freeways and the way they designed them. Its...so...beautiful!!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:00 PM

113 posts, read 222,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Mother of all freeway cloverleaves on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shmat/133763966/ - broken link)
I-10 at BW 8

Summer Sky on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23333264@N00/2683301082/ - broken link)
West Loop

Flickr Photo Download: West Loop North Heading South (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23333264@N00/2752237498/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)
Look at all those Miami-esque buildings!

Downtown Houston from I 45N on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gwenie/362282919/ - broken link)
I-45

Bayous & Freeways on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/telwink/2462765569/ - broken link)
Allen Parkway and I-45

i-10 east [1] on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I-10

concrete spaghetti on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfre81/3776405064/ - broken link)
I-10& I-45

Not Houston's best examples,but examples nonetheless.
And this is what you call freeways. Doesnt that look like good transportation? It does to me!lol

Old 10-29-2009, 11:18 AM

18,641 posts, read 27,078,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Houston doesn't have a grid system quite like DFW or PHX, but their arterial alternatives are a heck of a lot better than Atlanta's. But picking between Westheimer or the Katy Freeway (which was mercifully widened) is a 'pick your poison' situation to me.
You confused me at this part. Do you mean that Houston's freeway system is not gridded or the city wide road network itself? Just wondering.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:18 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You confused me at this part. Do you mean that Houston's freeway system is not gridded or the city wide road network itself? Just wondering.
The City-wide arterial network itself seems to not be quite as gridded as Dallas or Phoenix. Houston's Inner Loop does have a good grid system in most parts, but outside the loop, not quite as much, but there does seem to be a method to the madness in relation to how the streets are laid out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or