U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHich city has the best freeway system of the 10 largest MSA's?
Dallas/Ft. Worth 99 15.94%
Houston 149 23.99%
LA 160 25.76%
NYC 29 4.67%
Chicago 57 9.18%
Philly 11 1.77%
DC 17 2.74%
Miami 9 1.45%
Atlanta 54 8.70%
Detroit 36 5.80%
Voters: 621. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM

81 posts, read 204,722 times

Advertisements

You should have had Phoenix on your list. The freeways here are beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 03:31 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,990,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
LA - Seems to have the most highways criss crossing the metro. Even though the system is somewhat outdated for the current population, its very extensive. Newer cities like Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston etc are building some big ones, but they dont have the capacity LA does, nor do they need it, yet.
L.A. has too many canceled freeways. The 90 would be useful since it goes through the widest part of the Basin. The Reseda Freeway would make it much easier to get to the beach from Palmdale/Santa Clarita. The 126 would make it easier to go across Santa Clarita.

If the 57 was extended through the Orange Crush, that would be an interesting asterisk! The 39 would make transportation easier along the Orange Curtain area and connect it to the San Gabriel Valley. Sadly, the 71 is still unbuilt through Ponoma.

The two most needed freeways on the Westside would be the 2 and the Laurel Canyon Freeway. The 2 would ease congestion for (mostly) Century City commuters disturbing Cheviot Hills residents while racing to get on the 10. The Laurel Canyon Freeway would make it easier for the "stars" to get to LAX from their palatial homes in the Hollywood Hills, putting to an end of the "horrible traffic on the 405" small talk.

DFW and L.A. are similar in that they had an unreasonable amount of freeways on their plans, most being redundant. One example is the Golden State and the Hollywood Freeways from Downtown L.A. to Panorama City. Why not one freeway through the middle of those two sites instead?

Surprisingly, Houston had a reasonable amount on the plans and the only major cancellation (so far) was the Harrisburg Freeway. The other 3 put on hold in the 70's have a section in a populated part built. Eventually the whole system will be built and some surprise new ones added!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:37 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,886,662 times
I would Pick Vancouver, BC...even though its not on the list.... One of the top 4 cities in the world to live in by the way.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:05 AM

384 posts, read 739,343 times
If the topic is freeway systems, this should be CSA, not MSA.

The SF Bay Area and Boston are two of the biggest CSAs and both have very large freeway systems that belong in this comparison.

Arbitrary MSA boundaries that have nothing to do with actual continuous urban area strike again.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:57 AM

15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I would Pick Vancouver, BC...even though its not on the list.... One of the top 4 cities in the world to live in by the way.
Why? Vancouver barely has any freeways or is that the reason it's the 'best' in your mind? The region is very anti-freeway.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 AM

15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times
I still don't get why people pick LA, it's freeway system is woefully inadequate given it's population and density. Many of the freeways planned were never built and there are large swaths of LA w/o any freeways. Freeway miles per capita, LA is actually towards the bottom of the pack.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:05 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,886,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why? Vancouver barely has any freeways or is that the reason it's the 'best' in your mind? The region is very anti-freeway.
yes , nail on the head. Too many people , too many " freeways" , mean too much infrastructure. All these roads and highways require rebuilding, upgrading , and lots of tax dollars to feed them.... I lived may years in Chicago , and saw what started and what it became....always trying to stay ahead of the demand , and the needs.
I also lived near Charlotte , where they rejected freeways , and eventualy paid the price for it.... I spend a considerable amount of time in Canada , and yes , they don't have a lot of big roads , but , also not a lot of people. Anchorage , AK is about 250,000 , and the freeways are great. Atlanta over 1,0000 and they just keep building more and more...and at a huge cost in the quality of life....... Somewhere in the middle is a better choice , a place where the population does outstrip the need for more expensive infrastructure.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 PM

362 posts, read 941,232 times
I think San Antonio has a freeway system built for a city much larger than 2 plus million people. Easily one of the top 15 biggest freeway systems.
link http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2149/2144314975_1d4f29ae3b_b.jpg

link http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/paul_heaston/landscapes/IH10-WBapproaching_Loop1604-Fal2-1.jpg

link http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2029/2281995647_db5129b56f_o.jpg

link http://voices.mysanantonio.com/leroyalloway/_CSP1951a.jpg
http://voices.mysanantonio.com/leroyalloway/_CSP1951a.jpg (broken link)
link http://www.urban-photos.com/gallery/albums/city_galleries/sanantonio/sanantonio_7036.jpg

link http://farm1.static.flickr.com/110/2...258aae5a_b.jpg

Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
I cant believe that Philly got any votes, PA in general and the Philly metro have very old and inefficient highways in general

Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,831,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Houston doesn't have a grid system quite like DFW or PHX, but their arterial alternatives are a heck of a lot better than Atlanta's. But picking between Westheimer or the Katy Freeway (which was mercifully widened) is a 'pick your poison' situation to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
The City-wide arterial network itself seems to not be quite as gridded as Dallas or Phoenix. Houston's Inner Loop does have a good grid system in most parts, but outside the loop, not quite as much, but there does seem to be a method to the madness in relation to how the streets are laid out.
I disagree here. Houston has a pretty good grid arterial road setup. I'd say even better than DFW. You say pick your poison between Westheimer or I-10 into the 610 Loop, but you can also pick Briar Forest/San Felipe, Richmond, Bellaire, Beechnut, or Bissonnett. So, there are a lot of options to choose from. There are plenty of other examples on other sides of town, too.

The top five freeway systems to me are Houston, LA, DFW, Chicago, and Atlanta.

Houston's freeway is a simple hub-and-spoke system. It's very easy to learn. Each side of town usually has one major freeway, with another freeway (or tollway) close by. All roads lead to central Houston pretty much (a big small town indeed). The only thing you have to remember is that there are two loops. Most freeways are named in the direction they go to (Katy Freeway goes west to the suburb of Katy, North Freeway goes North, Southwest Freeways heads.....southwest, Eastex Freeway heads up to East Texas, etc.). In class last week, my professor started talking about his recent trip to Houston, and said he was scared driving on the Loop. Several people in the class agreed and said Houston drivers drive too fast and the Loop is so damn big. Here is the Loop:

LA just has a bunch of freeways. A lot of them are wide though, and some of the interchanges, especially going in and around the huge hills in the area, look really nice. LA's freeways are freaking huge though. Take a look at this video:

DFW has some nice freeways, too. Though, I'd say it's system can be a little confusing. Though DFW has some nice and wide freeways (75N, I-20), a lot of DFW's freeways seem small and outdated, though there is a lot of construction going on here. There are a lot of twists and turns with some of DFW's freeways, so they end up going in different directions than what you would think. But, take a look at I-20. Wide freeway on its entire length through DFW.

For Atlanta, it has a nicely designed freeway system and nicely maintained freeways. They would work a lot better if the arterial road system in Atlanta wasn't so inadequate. Atlanta and LA easily have the nicest looking freeways of the bunch (and by that, I don't mean the actual freeways, just the drive in general).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or