U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHich city has the best freeway system of the 10 largest MSA's?
Dallas/Ft. Worth 99 15.94%
Houston 149 23.99%
LA 160 25.76%
NYC 29 4.67%
Chicago 57 9.18%
Philly 11 1.77%
DC 17 2.74%
Miami 9 1.45%
Atlanta 54 8.70%
Detroit 36 5.80%
Voters: 621. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:59 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,091,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
easy their cowboy no need to get rude, was just asking a question
not being rude at all. Just telling you that you are sorely underestimating the traffic here.

It is nothing to brag about but everyone and their dog drives here.

When they tell you Houston folks like their cars they mean it.

I laugh when people say that Houstonians will get more serious about PT when gas prices hit 5 bucks. Ha! it was darn near 4 and I still say people using their cars to go check the mail down the driveway.

LA was the original great big freeway, but they have long since been moving in other directions. In Houston more than a majority ( i would go as far as saying more than a super majority) of people don't give a darn about rail transportation or downright oppose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Worst thing on earth to get defensive and brag about.
like I said, I am not bragging at all.

Its just a reality.

and no need to get spiteful with the trash talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:01 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,063,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
not being rude at all. Just telling you that you are sorely underestimating the traffic here.

It is nothing to brag about but everyone and their dog drives here.

When they tell you Houston folks like their cars they mean it.

I laugh when people say that Houstonians will get more serious about PT when gas prices hit 5 bucks. Ha! it was darn near 4 and I still say people using their cars to go check the mail down the driveway.

LA was the original great big freeway, but they have long since been moving in other directions. In Houston more than a majority ( i would go as far as saying more than a super majority) of people don't give a darn about rail transportation or downright oppose it.
Mind blowing - I'm sure it happens everywhere in the nation, but geez how lazy can people be?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Mind blowing - I'm sure it happens everywhere in the nation, but geez how lazy can people be?
Very Lazy. I have seen people go to those outdoor shopping centers and drive around from store to Store. happened a lot when I lived in San Antonio.

I doubt that those people who are unwilling to walk down to the mail box will be willing to walk that five minutes to catch PT.

why do you think drive threws are so popular here. Drive threw banking, drive threw pharmacies, drive threw fast food. It never ends.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,063,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Very Lazy. I have seen people go to those outdoor shopping centers and drive around from store to Store. happened a lot when I lived in San Antonio.

I doubt that those people who are unwilling to walk down to the mail box will be willing to walk that five minutes to catch PT.

why do you think drive threws are so popular here. Drive threw banking, drive threw pharmacies, drive threw fast food. It never ends.
Drive thru liquor stores

Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Drive thru liquor stores
Yes, I have seen those too

Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 PM

129 posts, read 227,948 times
Orlando has a pretty good freeway system and they to have toll roads.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:32 AM

9,223 posts, read 13,804,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number32 View Post
Orlando has a pretty good freeway system and they to have toll roads.
I think Orlando only has one free freeway. The rest are tolls. Got to milk the tourists for every dime.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,075,913 times
Cleveland should be on this list!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:04 AM

282 posts, read 410,109 times
Texas has an excellent system of highways IMO. They have massive interchanges, lots of lanes, access roads, etc, etc. Houston's are easy to understand but of course are notorious for congestion. Dallas's are great, better then Houston's. It's easy to get to any part of town because there are so many options for routes. San Antonio's are some of the best in the country; easy to understand like Houston's but with less traffic. However, SA has grown a lot and is experiencing growing pains with the construction everywhere, but I try to see construction as a good thing. Austin is the only exception of Texas lol. They have not kept up with their growth.

Having lived in Chicago and spending lots of time in Los Angeles, I can definetely say Texas has them beat. Chicago's highways are simply to small for its huge size. LA's are pretty good but the access roads in Texas have me bought.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 AM

8,625 posts, read 13,850,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
Texas has an excellent system of highways IMO. They have massive interchanges, lots of lanes, access roads, etc, etc. Houston's are easy to understand but of course are notorious for congestion. Dallas's are great, better then Houston's. It's easy to get to any part of town because there are so many options for routes. San Antonio's are some of the best in the country; easy to understand like Houston's but with less traffic. However, SA has grown a lot and is experiencing growing pains with the construction everywhere, but I try to see construction as a good thing. Austin is the only exception of Texas lol. They have not kept up with their growth.

Having lived in Chicago and spending lots of time in Los Angeles, I can definetely say Texas has them beat. Chicago's highways are simply to small for its huge size. LA's are pretty good but the access roads in Texas have me bought.
Austin seems to be falling out of favor in a lot of ways these days.....they say, its grown way behond the once Liberal oasis in a land of Conservatives, everywhere !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or