U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHich city has the best freeway system of the 10 largest MSA's?
Dallas/Ft. Worth 99 15.94%
Houston 149 23.99%
LA 160 25.76%
NYC 29 4.67%
Chicago 57 9.18%
Philly 11 1.77%
DC 17 2.74%
Miami 9 1.45%
Atlanta 54 8.70%
Detroit 36 5.80%
Voters: 621. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,134,288 times

Advertisements

Atlanta because we only have one 50 cent toll rd which is going to be free next month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 4,616 times
Chicago doesn't have enough lanes. And their speedlimits are horrible. NY/NJ it is not even worth owning a car over there. Whoever designed roadways in NJ should be thrown in jail. Texas overall is the best. I never understood how no other state thought that U-turns and service streets were necessary. Houston wheel and spoke design is second to none and they have 2 "wheels": Beltway 8 and 610. To go anywhere in houston, turn onto either loop in the direction you want to go and pick the hgwy you need. DFW is great, but the design is not as easy to figure out if you are not familiar with the place. But their traffic is a little better than Houston's so they get a close #2. DC is surprisingly pretty good, but I put them beind Atlanta and Miami. LA is the 2nd worst. Number of Interstates does not equal greatest freeway system. There is traffic 20 hours of the day. SF (worst)...I would rather walk. The scenery has to be nice, so you have something to look at rather than contemplate ending it all in their traffic.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 AM

281 posts, read 385,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnytoby View Post
Chicago doesn't have enough lanes. And their speedlimits are horrible. NY/NJ it is not even worth owning a car over there. Whoever designed roadways in NJ should be thrown in jail. Texas overall is the best. I never understood how no other state thought that U-turns and service streets were necessary. Houston wheel and spoke design is second to none and they have 2 "wheels": Beltway 8 and 610. To go anywhere in houston, turn onto either loop in the direction you want to go and pick the hgwy you need. DFW is great, but the design is not as easy to figure out if you are not familiar with the place. But their traffic is a little better than Houston's so they get a close #2. DC is surprisingly pretty good, but I put them beind Atlanta and Miami. LA is the 2nd worst. Number of Interstates does not equal greatest freeway system. There is traffic 20 hours of the day. SF (worst)...I would rather walk. The scenery has to be nice, so you have something to look at rather than contemplate ending it all in their traffic.
You're right about Houston having the best system however those feeder roads are an eyesore and give any tourist or someone just driving through a bad impression of the city.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 860 times
Out of them run down cities Phoenix Az has the best freeways clean and well maintained surrounded by mountains and beautiful scenery

Old 09-27-2014, 05:55 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,752,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
You're right about Houston having the best system however those feeder roads are an eyesore and give any tourist or someone just driving through a bad impression of the city.
How do you figure? I usually hear nothing but praise for the access/feeder roads. They allow for better traffic flow for one thing, and having those U-turn lanes at every intersection is a very nice option. If anything, that's a major part of what makes Houston's freeway system one of the best in the nation.

The thing I hate about Houston's freeways are the ridiculous amount of enormous advertising billboards. Now THAT... truly is an "eyesore".

Old 09-27-2014, 06:02 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Those frontage roads are amazing, make getting on the freeway and accessing the stores and restaurants on those frontage roads soooo convenient.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:57 PM

12,594 posts, read 15,058,526 times
LA, but it's way overcrowded. They need more and even better freeways.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:40 AM

525 posts, read 448,213 times
Cleveland. For a smaller metro they have a very extensive network of freeways and there is rarely if ever any traffic, even in rush hour.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:51 PM

137 posts, read 212,503 times
My opinions, and I'm trying to take everything into account:

The number of freeways
Ease of getting to destination using majority freeway
Traffic
Design of freeways

1. St. Louis. I hate St. Louis but it has the best system I have been on. Traffic seems to flow freely at most hours. I have even had pretty decent luck during rush hours comparatively. It has the wheel and spoke system like I like. I don't know how so many major freeways intersect downtown on that death trap intersection but somehow it works. From there, I like all the diagonal freeways. 44, 64, 70, 55. Pick a direction and there is a road that goes there. It works well on the Illinois side too. Included that there are the circular bypass road so if you are coming from Illinois, you can take 255 and go around downtown to the south or 270 to the north.

2. Indianapolis or Columbus OH.
Both have an outer circle with many freeways radiating from the center. Enough that even during rush hour you can get somewhere.

Now we have to get into my three cities that are well designed but have too much traffic.

1. Dallas. Probably the best design given that they aren't really at the corossroads of the country. They had to build most of the infrastructure themselves. I agree wth others that the frontage roads open up business development and the uturns are great. However too many cars on the road. Lbj(635), 30, 35 are nightmares. Everything is always undernconstructions and it looks like someone bombed the city the freeways are so torn up from construction. One accident and there is gridlock throughout the city. Too many cars for number of highways. The roller coaster, 500 feet tall interchanges are cool though.

2. LA
They took a challenging system with all the mountains and canyons and built a buillion freeways going everywhere you need to go. Unlike Dallas if there is a wreck and you plan a head there is always an alternate route not too far out of the way. However way, way too many cars.

3. Atlanta
Not as bad for traffic as Dallas or LA. Not quite as well designed. More like the Midwestern cities with a wheel and spokes. It's just such a big metro that they don't have enough new freeways to deal with growth. They also have no preparedness for any sort of inclement weather. Last year I went through after some light snow and the city was shut down with cars abandoned all over the highways. 485 was lined with abandoned cars.

Now the just plain bad:
Portland oregon. They desired not to build any freeways. I5 is always jammed

Seattle. Same

Bay Area: almost impossible to get anywhere ever it's so overwhelmed. I don't know how people actually use the bay bridge.

New York/NJ. You get to pay for the privilege of sitting in traffic with endless toll roads. The new jersey turnpike has virtually no exits and the are poorly labelled. Sometimes they are miles apart. The roads are so old and there are so many cars and trucks that I don't know how everyone isn't dead. Going across the GW bridge bouncing up and down over potholes it's scary and I don't get scared driving.

Chicago. Pretty awful. Not terribly designed but not modernized for growth. The worst part is there isn't always a freeway going where you are
going. The nicest northern suberbs have no freeway at all. 94 should be closer to the lake. The distances in between freeways in the west and particularly northwest suburbs can put you on regular streets for miles.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:57 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
New York/NJ. You get to pay for the privilege of sitting in traffic with endless toll roads. The new jersey turnpike has virtually no exits and the are poorly labelled. Sometimes they are miles apart. The roads are so old and there are so many cars and trucks that I don't know how everyone isn't dead. Going across the GW bridge bouncing up and down over potholes it's scary and I don't get scared driving.
Yeah that corner of the country is pretty horrible when it comes to freeways.

Paying $10 tolls to drive on sh-tty roads doesn't really make sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or