U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: WHich city has the best freeway system of the 10 largest MSA's?
Dallas/Ft. Worth 99 15.97%
Houston 148 23.87%
LA 160 25.81%
NYC 29 4.68%
Chicago 57 9.19%
Philly 11 1.77%
DC 17 2.74%
Miami 9 1.45%
Atlanta 54 8.71%
Detroit 36 5.81%
Voters: 620. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2007, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,220 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Reputation: 8983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
You know...
I figured lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,163,848 times
Reputation: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth HAS to have the funniest looking freeway system though:

http://www.metroplextbc.org/images/dfw-map-wide.gif (broken link)
It even looks like a politician from Texas!

... laughed so hard, I've got white stars swirling in my field of vision now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Greater Houston
4,514 posts, read 8,601,555 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth HAS to have the funniest looking freeway system though:

http://www.metroplextbc.org/images/dfw-map-wide.gif (broken link)
That reminds me of Los Angeles' Hurricane Rita-style traffic jams that happen EVERY DAY and the smog from it. DFW resembles L.A. way too much--snobby and sprawly! I don't want to live in both cities because I'll use my car too much.

Spade: Do you have a picture of the Eisenhower expressway?

Last edited by KerrTown; 06-06-2007 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: expressway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 06:30 AM
 
609 posts, read 2,672,932 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That reminds me of Los Angeles' Hurricane Rita-style traffic jams that happen EVERY DAY and the smog from it. DFW resembles L.A. way too much--snobby and sprawly! I don't want to live in both cities because I'll use my car too much.

Spade: Do you have a picture of the Eisenhower expressway?
It's a pretty extensive freeway system that has relatively good flow patterns for a MSA of 6.03 million and 16 county area of 6.4 million people.
Houston also has an extensive system as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 07:08 AM
 
Location: The great state of New Hampshire
792 posts, read 2,861,522 times
Reputation: 424
DC region I always thought was excellent on the outside and awful inside of the beltway. In terms of outside the beltway, there is just no way to realistically accommodate that horrific of traffic in an area where basically everyone drives. Public transportation is a foreign concept to most who work around DC, since there are so many transplants that work for the federal government that don't come from urban cores. The heart of DC is a nightmare by no accident. The street grid design orchestrated by Pierre L'Enfant in the 1700s was laid out in quadrants and in a fashion to make access in and out of the Capitol (center of the four quadrants) difficult and impractical out of security concerns. The freeway system around DC is much better than places like Boston and NY, but all the same, it possesses the worst traffic in the U.S regardless of whether you are in city limits, or just in the metro region.
Speaking of, NY is amongst the worst too, if the discussion constitutes inconvenient hold-ups due to tolls, as well as poor road upkeep- which is downright inexcusable when you are paying a toll to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 07:21 AM
 
609 posts, read 2,672,932 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
DC region I always thought was excellent on the outside and awful inside of the beltway. In terms of outside the beltway, there is just no way to realistically accommodate that horrific of traffic in an area where basically everyone drives. Public transportation is a foreign concept to most who work around DC, since there are so many transplants that work for the federal government that don't come from urban cores. The heart of DC is a nightmare by no accident. The street grid design orchestrated by Pierre L'Enfant in the 1700s was laid out in quadrants and in a fashion to make access in and out of the Capitol (center of the four quadrants) difficult and impractical out of security concerns. The freeway system around DC is much better than places like Boston and NY, but all the same, it possesses the worst traffic in the U.S regardless of whether you are in city limits, or just in the metro region.
Speaking of, NY is amongst the worst too, if the discussion constitutes inconvenient hold-ups due to tolls, as well as poor road upkeep- which is downright inexcusable when you are paying a toll to begin with.

A lot of the Northeast's and Mid Atlantic's problems stems from the fact that they were the first cities built in this country. It's unfair to compare them to the likes of Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, etc b/c these "new american cities" were able to take a look at how cities were built in the past and improve upon that.

Boston, NYC, DC have tried their best with their systems, but have only been successful in the suburbs, b/c their urban cores realistically are difficult to put a freeway system that is decent in place secondary to all the cost involved with displacing high density populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 AM
 
Location: Henderson NV
1,134 posts, read 855,757 times
Reputation: 82
The architecture of L.A. freeways is very dynamic. They try to pull off the same thing here in Vegas but their overpasses are made of steel and look cheap. A woman designed the Hollywood freeway through the Cahuenga pass and it has a very graceful feel about it. When I visit, I run the freeways so I can have some time to think. It's relaxing, but only at 2 in the morning. The most impressive construction is the Century east connector to the northbound Harbor. I call it the ' Cathedral ' because when you look down from the top of the transition, you look down on 4 other levels. If you drive about 75 or 80, you can feel like you're flying low over the city. The system has about 24 freeways and doesn't work anymore but the area is too expansive for comprehensive mass transit, unless you can spend 100 billion on it. The city just lost out on the chance to bid for federal dollars yesterday because the mayor didn't want the "freeway" culture interferred with. No money for a city that refuses to convert their number one lanes into tollways, and I agree. Those freeways are bought and payed for so I see no reason to gunk up the works by bowing to the feds. Other than the Orange county toll road, Los Angeles is the only city that has freeways, I think. No turnpikes, tollways, expressways, beltways, thruways. It should stay that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2007, 03:21 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,578 posts, read 13,460,794 times
Reputation: 2708
When considering that Chicago is 100 miles wide , and 100 miles long , I think It should rank higher on the poll. I have driven them all , and , I'l pick metro Chicago anytime. Also , they have vast public transportation that is lacking in most of the western cities, and , the southerns as well.
One of the things that hurts Chicago , is , its been there a long time, and has outgrown the highway system many times over. The constant construction IS a problem. Its much better now , and will get even better by the end of this construction season.
For a place , that IS the crossroads of the nation, IS an outbound town for shipping goods, and IS made up of more burbs , than most anywhere else , I thing they are " doing a heck of a job"..........that is a kiss of death statement if I ever heard one !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2007, 03:45 AM
 
Location: Henderson NV
1,134 posts, read 855,757 times
Reputation: 82
You, yourself, are doing a heck of a job, darstar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2007, 04:59 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,611,259 times
Reputation: 660
St. Louis just screams to be on the list. Its freeway system is some of the most nicely laid out I've ever seen, or will be once Interstate 70 gets a new bridge to cross the Mississippi on and they finish upgrading Interstate 64 to a modern interstate between Interstate 270 and Vandeventer Ave. Improvements are still to come. My prediction is that in 20 years, St. Louis may have an additional two-digit interstate for the Avenue of the Saints, as well as a new spur highway, Interstate 364, from Page Avenue to Interstate 64 in St. Charles County. We've already got Missouri Highway 370, which i'd rather call Interstate 370 given it is at interstate standards. Our freeway system is very nicely organized and laid out and pretty easy to navigate, unlike Kansas City whose freeways just look like a total mess on the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top