U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-07-2010, 05:09 PM

2,246 posts, read 1,587,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
That region is much bigger than the Texas Triangle. The PAM includes the entire southeast.
the Megapolis is Raleigh-Durham, Piedmont Triad, Charlotte, Upstate South Carolina, Atlanta and Birmingham only, the rest of the southeast has economic ties with PAM I said it's really two things. The outward cities that are not part the Megapolis are call geteway cities example Oklahoma City

Texas Triangle - America 2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is not about regions if that was the case then I would be talking about the entire Rocky Mountain Region. Let me put it this was if I lived in Jacksonville I would consider it to be its own economic corridor not part of PAM.
This isnít randomly picking places, so not all of the Rocky mountains or just in the Rocky mountains, a gateway city for the Front range will be Albuquerque. And if you lived in Jacksonville your in a gateway city of both PAM and Florida strategic economic regions while not in the Megapolis of either. I said it's two different things, I think thatís what yall are confusing over. Your looking for specifically Megapolises, and that's specifically the Raleigh-Birmingham corridor only, which I have said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-07-2010, 07:48 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,711,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
the Megapolis is Raleigh-Durham, Piedmont Triad, Charlotte, Upstate South Carolina, Atlanta and Birmingham only, the rest of the southeast has economic ties with PAM I said it's really two things. The outward cities that are not part the Megapolis are call geteway cities example Oklahoma City

Texas Triangle - America 2050

This isnít randomly picking places, so not all of the Rocky mountains or just in the Rocky mountains, a gateway city for the Front range will be Albuquerque. And if you lived in Jacksonville your in a gateway city of both PAM and Florida strategic economic regions while not in the Megapolis of either. I said it's two different things, I think thatís what yall are confusing over. Your looking for specifically Megapolises, and that's specifically the Raleigh-Birmingham corridor only, which I have said.
Oklahoma City and Tulsa have absolutely nothing to do with the Texas Triangle. Furthermore, how would Oklahoma City and Tulsa be gateway cities but Little Rock and Shreveport wouldn't be?

Unread 03-07-2010, 09:24 PM

2,246 posts, read 1,587,478 times
Quote:
Oklahoma City and Tulsa have absolutely nothing to do with the Texas Triangle. Furthermore, how would Oklahoma City and Tulsa be gateway cities but Little Rock and Shreveport wouldn't be?
I-35 Corridor that's why, and oklahoma city is larger than Shreveport and Little Rock combined.

Unread 03-07-2010, 09:40 PM

9,359 posts, read 9,596,043 times
I still think that regions are trying to make themselves bigger by combining more areas then should be in one region. I know it looks better on paper but just because its smaller does not mean its less important. For example for the Front Range I think they should only include Pueblo Colorado on the south end to Cheyenne Wyoming on the north end. Texas triangle should only be in Texas let Oklahoma have its own region and the same is true for PAM. Let Jacksonville be its own region.

Unread 03-07-2010, 11:31 PM

4,327 posts, read 4,182,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Yall are really missing what Iím saying Raleigh-Durham, Piedmont Triad, Charlotte, Upstate South Carolina, Atlanta and Birmingham is Piedmont Atlantic ďPAMĒ or Charlata! Savannah, Jacksonville, Mobile are call gateway cities meaning even though they're not on or part of the Megapolis they are part of the economic region. But the Megapolis is Raleigh-Durham, Piedmont Triad, Charlotte, Upstate South Carolina, Atlanta and Birmingham only. The area Around the Megapolis is the entire strategic economic region yes itís most of the southeast but itĎs smaller than Texas. Obviously the pull of what happens on the corridor itself will effect the entire region and especial in logistics gateway cities have a economic role. If the port of Savannah become busier it would benefit PAM so itís two things the specific developing Megapolis and the strategic economic region.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was always confused by "gateway" cities but your posts puts all that in perspective.

Unread 03-08-2010, 06:37 AM

2,530 posts, read 3,348,831 times
Quote:

Doesn't OKC have economic ties to Texas?

I wouldn't consider them the Texas Triangle either (obviously), but OKC is a part of the I-35 Corridor. I don't think Shreveport or LRock is part of a growth corridor like that.

I think "I-85 Corridor" makes more sense for the Atlanta-GSP-Charlotte-Triad-Triangle corridor. Birmingham has ties to Atlanta, but in terms of growth and economy, it isn't quite the same as the I-85 corridor.

Unread 03-08-2010, 06:54 AM

4,236 posts, read 5,154,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

I wouldn't consider them the Texas Triangle either (obviously), but OKC is a part of the I-35 Corridor. I don't think Shreveport or LRock is part of a growth corridor like that.

I think "I-85 Corridor" makes more sense for the Atlanta-GSP-Charlotte-Triad-Triangle corridor. Birmingham has ties to Atlanta, but in terms of growth and economy, it isn't quite the same as the I-85 corridor.
How important is the DAL/OKC relationshop vs. the relationship with LR and SBC?

Unread 03-08-2010, 03:40 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,412,676 times
My five and in no particular order:

The Texas Triangle
SOCAL, from LA to San Diego
Southern Lake Michigan, from just N of Milwaukee through Chicago east to South Bend, IN
The front range of the Colorado Rocky Mts
The FL corridor, from Orlando to Miami
The SE, from Atlanta through North Carolina up through Virginia into the nation's capital.

You can ride off Phoenix and Las Vegas (the boom is over for the long term) due to overall lack of industry, few 'good' jobs available, terrible education, oppressive summer heat, no access to water and major national/international trade routes.

Unread 03-08-2010, 08:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,711,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

Yes OKC & Tulsa have ties of course but I don’t see it having any more significant ties to DFW than Little Rock or Shreveport just my observation. So if Oklahoma City and Tulsa are Gateway cities than my argument is Little Rock and Shreveport should be also. Many DFW residents go to Shreveport to gamble. The city of Shreveport in essence depends heavily on the gamblers from North Texas pumping money into their local economy.

Last edited by kdogg817; 03-08-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Unread 03-08-2010, 09:16 PM

740 posts, read 930,703 times
Quote:
Yes OKC & Tulsa have ties of course but I don’t see it having any more significant ties to DFW than Little Rock or Shreveport just my observation. So if Oklahoma City and Tulsa are Gateway cities than my argument is Little Rock and Shreveport should be also. Many DFW residents go to Shreveport to gamble. The city of Shreveport in essence depends heavily on the gamblers from North Texas pumping money into their local economy.
I think that OKC and Tulsa should be included in the Texas Triangle as regular cites, not gateway cities OKC and Tulsa area have many contracts with the oil companies in Texas. Oklahoma is home to large oilfieds and Natural Gas pockets in its on rights.

Dallas is closer to OKC than it is to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City