U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM
GCC GCC started this thread

1 posts, read 6,756 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 (my husband, me and 2 kids under 3) living in NYC. Although we love NYC's diversity and cultural exposure, we are ready to move to the suburbs so that our kids can enjoy more space and see more green. My husband has potential job offers in Atlanta and Pittsburgh. We would like to hear from people that have lived in or know both cities.

Ideally, we would like to live close to an urban area where we can enjoy museums, good restaurants, theaters, and some cultural diversity. Suburban areas with recreational space for children and excellent public schools are one of our primary concerns. Low crime rate and short commutes are also important. If you can suggest the best neighborhoods it would be great.

Another factor to consider is employment opportunities in Finance, better in Atlanta or Pittsburg? Although I am not working now, I am a lawyer, practice Immigration law and intend to work in the near future.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,745,740 times
To be honest, I don't qualify to talk about Pittsburgh, because I have never been there, but Atlanta I've been to, and it's a pretty good place to live. You have all the convenience of a large city, great airport, transportation, and roads.

I will say that Pittsburgh and Atlanta are very different though. They're polar opposites, cold vs. hot. Growing vs. declining. North vs. South.

Pittsburgh is a great city, and has a lot going for it, it's home to great sports teams, and the economy is getting better, it's becoming more diverse. The city might be smaller than Atlanta in population size but it has a great and friendly feel to it.

If weather isn't an issue, and if you can handle the cold weather, then go for Pittsburgh, because it would be less expensive than Atlanta. But you can't really go wrong with either of these cities.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:30 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,173,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

I will say that Pittsburgh and Atlanta are very different though. They're polar opposites, cold vs. hot. Growing vs. declining. North vs. South.
I grew up in West Virginia, and wasn't far from Pittsburgh, and now live in Atlanta so I'll clarify a bit based on the above plus what I add...

Pittsburgh is not really a "northern" city in the way that many people think about it. It's a Northern Appalachian city (there's a difference). It does not have the same vibe as northern east coast cities like NYC, Boston, Philly, etc. It's more "earthy" and laid back. It's still a large city with a variety of people, but a bit more homogeneous and slightly less Internationally diverse than Atlanta. While it's not what some would label as a boom town, it's not declining by any means. Pittsburgh has experienced stability through the transition it's made from a manufacturing/steel town to a tech town. It's more even-steady than boom, but it's not a rust city that's in decline, either. Very nice setting on the rivers, and in a great natural setting with lots of outdoor stuff to do in reasonably short periods of time. Winters yes, but you deal with it.

Atlanta by contrast was boomboomboom for so many years until the recession, and even with that it has experienced a slower but still reasonably rapid growth. At one point up to 150,000 people per year were moving into the Atlanta metro area, and now it's down to around 45,000 or so, but that's still a lot. The metro area has over time had a hard time keeping up with the growth. Traffic is worse here than Pittsburgh, and there's more rushrush in the attitudes here than there, too. Higher crime rate here, but then it's larger too, and having three interstates passing through it, you also get "pass through" crime that some other cities don't have as well. Much milder winters, but hotter/humid summers. Decent location gives you access to the mountains in 1.5 hours or the beach in 4.5 hours.

In terms of "vibe", you could probably compare Pittsburgh more to a place like Denver or Minneapolis, vaguely. Atlanta has been by some called the "Little L.A. of the East".

The OP last month mentioned, museums, good restaurants, theaters, and some cultural diversity... both cities have that. Overall, Pittsburgh has lower crime and lower traffic, but you can avoid these things in Atlanta too if you strategically plan where you live as opposed to where you work as well. Finance jobs can be found in either of the cities, with maybe Atlanta having an edge especially if you're talking about immigration law, since overall Atlanta has more immigrants from varied nations moving here than Pittsburgh does.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:53 PM

96 posts, read 155,272 times
Atlanta has great suburbs, and public schools.
Crime rate is higher, but you don't have to worry about it in good suburbs.
Atlanta is much better in employment oppertunities, in lots of categories.
Atlanta has a large number of immigrations. (koreans, viet)
Go for Atlanta, great weather although it is cold sometimes during the winter.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuk1219 View Post
Atlanta has great suburbs, and public schools.
Crime rate is higher, but you don't have to worry about it in good suburbs.
Atlanta is much better in employment oppertunities, in lots of categories.
Atlanta has a large number of immigrations. (koreans, viet)
Go for Atlanta, great weather although it is cold sometimes during the winter.
You also forgot to mention that Atlanta has good colleges/universities. Such as Emory, Georgia Tech, and some others.

Pittsburgh has Carnegie Mellon and U. Pittsburgh.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:43 PM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
You also forgot to mention that Atlanta has good colleges/universities. Such as Emory, Georgia Tech, and some others.

Pittsburgh has Carnegie Mellon and U. Pittsburgh.
and Duquesne, Robert Morris, Point Park and many more. It also has a highly educated populace in terms of percentage too.

Pittsburgh also has some good urban schools and Allderdice is generally the top public high school in the city. It's in a nice part of town too.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 AM

13,215 posts, read 17,883,318 times
I'd gladly put metro Pittsburgh's best school districts up against metro Atlanta's best. Not that metro Atlanta's school districts are overrated, just that metro Pittsburgh's school districts are that good. Graduation rates in the top school districts in metro Pittsburgh routinely enter the high 90's.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'd gladly put metro Pittsburgh's best school districts up against metro Atlanta's best. Not that metro Atlanta's school districts are overrated, just that metro Pittsburgh's school districts are that good. Graduation rates in the top school districts in metro Pittsburgh routinely enter the high 90's.
After Seattle, Pitssburgh comes in as the 2nd more educated city in the country, in terms of people having a college degree.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 AM

5,939 posts, read 7,291,889 times
Pittsburgh also has less people who haven't completed high school than any other place in the country.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:25 PM

819 posts, read 1,248,003 times
As someone who considered Atlanta a couple of years ago and is a Pittsburgh-area resident, I found these education comparisons: (From City-Data.com)

ATLANTA PITTSBURGH
High School or higher 76.9% 81.3%
Bachelor's Degree
or Higher 34.6% 26.2%
Graduate or
Professional Degree 13.8% 12.5%

**Population 25 and older

These stats are just the cities. However, both cities have suburbs with impressive education stats.

Interesting how the high school or higher is lower in Atlanta but it is ahead of Pittsburgh in Bachelor's Degree and Graduate/Professional Degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City