U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:26 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX2colorado View Post
Hello,

I'm in the process of relocating from portland (actually suburb of PDX, beaverton) to the Denver are. My job is transfering me to Westminster actually.

I've grown up in Portland nearly my entire life and only visited Denver less than a handful of times, but I've been doing a ton of research.

What I can tell you about Oregon and the PNW is this- It's beautiful and it's an excellent area to raise a family. You are near the mountains as well as the beach. And in eastern and southern Oregon it's very warm & desert-like.

We do have quite a bit more rain than Denver, as much rain as most coastal states/cities, less than Seattle, same as Charlotte, NC believe it or not. But the thing about it is that since we are so mild year round with much milder winters & summers, it just rains for such a long season. It makes everything amazingly beautiful and green. The summers are incredible, but the long winters with half as many days of sunlight or less as Denver can be a bit long, especially the first winter/fall. It may be a bit more boring in the town, but as I said, good place for a family.

We are very earthy and a bit more liberal. People are extremely friendly! The economy seems to be doing well. Restuarants and new chains from california & the east coast seem to be bringing much of that, but it does feel like there is quite a bit of competition for jobs I've been finding.
The cost of living is a bit high in Portland, but still much lower than California.

I definitely recommend Portland or a Suburb over the coast. THe coastal cities are retires primarily.

Hope that helps. It really does come down to what you prefer. For me it is time for a change More sun here I come!!! But I will always plan to come back to Oregon as home in the future. This is an excellent place to live.

Now, my turn?

The only negative thing I really read consistenly about Denver is traffic. My job will be in westminster which sounds like a suburb and a pretty ok place to live. But I'd also like a little culture, the ability to walk to shops, that sort of thing. Thorton or Northglenn over Westminster?

I would like a little culture, not more than a 30 minute commute, and still a good school for my son. Any feedback? I'm a single eurasian mom so a bit liberal wouldn't hurt either

Thanks!!!

Now these are the type of posts I love to see. One's well written and give a visual by choice of wording. I've heard many wonderful things about Portland and am very seriously considering moving there. I already looked in to apartment/housing costs, schools, jobs etc... It appears to capture what NY, Chicago and CA have but on a smaller scale. Plus a few newspapers and some dirt wouldn't hurt to give the city (that city feel) with edge. Overall, and the most important variable is the politics (at least for me) it's very important to be around people whom are grounded with similar values. Everything else you can adjust to. Thank you for a great post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 35,899 times
thats true bout that statement but, um just clarifying that it doesnt rain that much in portland, and yeah it does suck cause almost all this summer was cool and cloudy. yuck

Old 08-19-2007, 07:14 PM

458 posts, read 2,513,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSigh View Post
Yeah. I think you've hit it on the head. The truth is that as great as the ocean is, you would probably be pining for the mountains after a while away from Colorado.

You're especially right about the family values and societal norms in Denver vs. the west coast. Basically, in Colorado you are kind of expected to grow up, get married, have a few kids, go to church, work hard, love your country, and do the right thing. It's the old American dream still kickin' and alive.

Places like LA and Portland have moved beyond that. Apparently, they call it "progress." But you've got a bunch of unhappy, well-sunned, singles who aer all running around searching for that missing something that they won't find because they're looking in all the wrong places.

Forget politics. It's about the basic lifestyle in Denver. Denver's conservative politics probably influence the family values, but there's just a traditionalism--a 1950s black/white Mayberry way of life--in Denver that you won't find on the coast.

I think that's one thing that a lot of folks fail to appreciate about Denver. Everybody talks about the skiiing--but few have ever realized just how "leave it to beaver" Denver really is.
Considering recent growth patterns, do you think that Denver will remain family friendly and how "Leave it to Beaver" like it is once it starts to add more and more people?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:28 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,642,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
Considering recent growth patterns, do you think that Denver will remain family friendly and how "Leave it to Beaver" like it is once it starts to add more and more people?
LOL, I don't even find Denver all that "Leave it to Beaver." That was just the opinion of a previous poster.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:48 PM

85,023 posts, read 98,892,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
LOL, I don't even find Denver all that "Leave it to Beaver." That was just the opinion of a previous poster.
And you will note that previous poster is not a member any more. I think he is a troll.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:10 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,642,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
And you will note that previous poster is not a member any more. I think he is a troll.
Completely agreed!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 PM

5,257 posts, read 12,572,102 times
Cloudy or not I'd much rather live in Portland. I love the Portland vibe. Dense, walkable, great downtown, abundance of good restaurants, great natural beauty, great public transportation, not too sprawly, great air, moderate temps year around and near the coast. I love the weather in the pnw. Great coastal getaways too. I can't imagine living in a landlocked city ever again.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:41 PM

85,023 posts, read 98,892,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Cloudy or not I'd much rather live in Portland. I love the Portland vibe. Dense, walkable, great downtown, abundance of good restaurants, great natural beauty, great public transportation, not too sprawly, great air, moderate temps year around and near the coast. I love the weather in the pnw. Great coastal getaways too. I can't imagine living in a landlocked city ever again.
pwright1, we disagree again. Denver also has a walkable downtown with good restaurants, great natural beauty, great public transportation, and fairly moderate temps year-round with four seasons, which the pnw doesn't have. Mountain sports an hour away!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:06 AM

38 posts, read 211,689 times
I wouldnt exactly say Denver has fairly moderate temperatures. The winters there can be quite cold and snowy (albeit made somewhat more bearable by decent amounts of sunshine). It hardly ever snows in Portland. The weather can also be rather extreme in Denver. Its basically a high plains city thats partially in mountainous foothills. Ive been in Denver in the spring where in a couple days it goes from sunny and in the 70s, to heavy snowfall. The weather there is really changeable.

I personally prefer Portland. Sure there is a lengthy wet season from November to April, but it never really gets that cold. The whole NW isnt like Seattle and Vancouver. Portland the Willamette Valley actually have a dry season that usually starts in May and last through September/ early October. Aside from the weather, Portland has more of the feel of a city to me. Everything seems to be more centrally located. And the people have alot more in common politically with large urban areas of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. Better homegrown beers and wines, lush green landscape, and close to both mountains and ocean. I guess it all comes down to personal preference. If you prefer a drier climate, more conservative folk and a more middle American feel, Denver would be a better choice.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 PM

5,156 posts, read 11,747,297 times
Thumbs up Great post!

Quote:
Hello,

I'm in the process of relocating from portland (actually suburb of PDX, beaverton) to the Denver are. My job is transfering me to Westminster actually.

I've grown up in Portland nearly my entire life and only visited Denver less than a handful of times, but I've been doing a ton of research.

What I can tell you about Oregon and the PNW is this- It's beautiful and it's an excellent area to raise a family. You are near the mountains as well as the beach. And in eastern and southern Oregon it's very warm & desert-like.

We do have quite a bit more rain than Denver, as much rain as most coastal states/cities, less than Seattle, same as Charlotte, NC believe it or not. But the thing about it is that since we are so mild year round with much milder winters & summers, it just rains for such a long season. It makes everything amazingly beautiful and green. The summers are incredible, but the long winters with half as many days of sunlight or less as Denver can be a bit long, especially the first winter/fall. It may be a bit more boring in the town, but as I said, good place for a family.

We are very earthy and a bit more liberal. People are extremely friendly! The economy seems to be doing well. Restuarants and new chains from california & the east coast seem to be bringing much of that, but it does feel like there is quite a bit of competition for jobs I've been finding.
The cost of living is a bit high in Portland, but still much lower than California.

I definitely recommend Portland or a Suburb over the coast. THe coastal cities are retires primarily.

Hope that helps. It really does come down to what you prefer. For me it is time for a change More sun here I come!!! But I will always plan to come back to Oregon as home in the future. This is an excellent place to live.

Now, my turn?

The only negative thing I really read consistenly about Denver is traffic. My job will be in westminster which sounds like a suburb and a pretty ok place to live. But I'd also like a little culture, the ability to walk to shops, that sort of thing. Thorton or Northglenn over Westminster?

I would like a little culture, not more than a 30 minute commute, and still a good school for my son. Any feedback? I'm a single eurasian mom so a bit liberal wouldn't hurt either

Thanks!!!
I agree with Supernova7. Very informative and well thought out post!!! Thank you for contributing. I really appreciate your PNW insight, especially since I am also considering the move there form Colorado.

See Supernova7, sometimes even a liberal and conservative can agree.

As I have mentioned before I don't really care much about the stereotypes of an area, political or otherwise. That is why I really like to hear from people who have had some actual 'experience' in both places.

I think Broomfield or Louisville would be great places to live if you work in Westminster. From there you could be in downtown Denver or Boulder in ~30 minutes. Boulder is a college town and known for being very liberal if that is important to you. I am conservative but still enjoy the town a lot. But politics are not what I see when I go somewhere. I love the beautiful setting with the Rocky Mountains and Flatirons in Boulder's backyard. My kids love it too:
http://derek.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p929584110-4.jpg (broken link)

I think downtown Denver has a good mixture of folks form various backgrounds and affiliations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City