U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 13,465,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
people surfing the web aren't reminded of california any more than people drinking coca-cola or watching TBS are reminded of atlanta
pretty much, how many normal people actually think about stuff like that? "oh I was listening to my i-pod that was invented in CA while drinking coke from Atlanta", most people could care less where this stuff originates from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:46 PM

13,318 posts, read 13,040,736 times
Lets just say Cali is the most famous state abroad and leave it at that. Then Texas, then Florida, then New York. That was easy.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:47 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,235,371 times
Quote:
i don't get this post

there are A LOT of california transplants in texas, but i can't remember anybody saying what city they're from. they always just say "i'm from california"

and to be honest, i didn't even know what state san francisco was in until like middle school
No offense but you made my point with the statement about "middle school". If the typical American doesn't know about San Francisco being in California how will people outside the U.S. even know about Texas? San Francisco & California are far more well-known. And one of the reasons that California is so well-known is Los Angeles\ Hollywood. All over the world, people know about California but not likely Texas. But Texas, in my opinion, is better recognized outside the nation than any other state besides California esp in Latin America. President Bush also made Texas more known to Europeans.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:14 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,959,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
American football isn't all that popular outside of the US and Canada though, so the cowboy's fame doesn't really go that far.

I think Texas is one of the most recognized states abroad, but its cities have a more modest degree of popularity.
I think (I hope) he was talking about actual cowboys, not the team.

Quote:
i don't get this post

there are A LOT of california transplants in texas, but i can't remember anybody saying what city they're from. they always just say "i'm from california"

and to be honest, i didn't even know what state san francisco was in until like middle school
That's a damn shame. Unfortunately, Texas education can be a little insular though, so I don't really doubt it.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 PM

672 posts, read 943,968 times
Quote:
um no everyone does not. your everyday person has no clue where these companies are based and likely assume they're in new york

personally, i knew google was based in california, but i thought apple was based in nyc. unless you're familiar with the IT field, this is not information the average joe is going to know or care about

people surfing the web aren't reminded of california any more than people drinking coca-cola or watching TBS are reminded of atlanta
This is kind of hilarious. You thought Apple was based on NYC? Please eloborate how you grew up thinking this?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,512,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I think (I hope) he was talking about actual cowboys, not the team.

That's a damn shame. Unfortunately, Texas education can be a little insular though, so I don't really doubt it.
oh please spare me. a good chunk of what children were being taught in my day was colonial times, civilar war times, and the civil rights movement. there wasn't much about california in our textbooks. and i don't believe i ever said that i attended middle school in texas

but it's amazing isn't it? somehow i was able to get an education and make a decent living without knowing where san francisco was

Old 03-13-2010, 04:49 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,512,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
This is kind of hilarious. You thought Apple was based on NYC? Please eloborate how you grew up thinking this?
i didn't "grow up" thinking anything, because as a kid and teenager i could care less about anything in california. if you ever get off your high horse, and decide to visit the REAL WORLD, you'd actually find that most don't know where apple is based

for some people that watch television, the image of apple that might stick out in their mind is that glass sculpture in manhattan, so they might easily assume apple was in nyc

Old 03-13-2010, 04:53 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,959,797 times
Quote:
oh please spare me. a good chunk of what children were being taught in my day was colonial times, civilar war times, and the civil rights movement. there wasn't much about california in our textbooks. and i don't believe i ever said that i attended middle school in texas

but it's amazing isn't it? somehow i was able to get an education and make a decent living without knowing where san francisco was
Actually wouldn't it depend on your elementary education....?

Then there's hope for me yet.

Vishnu bless America!

Old 03-13-2010, 05:51 PM

130 posts, read 116,620 times
I would say California, Texas and New York would be the most recognizable. If NYC is what put the state of New York then so be it. I think New York is known for a lot more things than the state of Illinois, so I don't see the comparison there. NYS also has the Adirondack Mountains, The Catskills, The Finger Lakes/Lake Placid, Niagara Falls, The Hamptons and some cities like Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse that, not as well known as NYC of course, but for the most part pretty well known.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 PM

3,458 posts, read 5,450,700 times
California, Texas, Florida (probably), Alaska, Hawaii, New York, New Jersey, Illinois (Chicagoland only)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City