U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,791,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
http://www.siena.edu/uploadedfiles/h...10_Release.pdf

Here is a poll conducted that shows that most NY'ers are "embarrassed" to call themselves NY'ers these days.

Those politicians up there are ruining that state unfortunately

Most of us don't like the Govenor, but it doesn't mean we're embarrassed to call ourselves NYers Give me a break. Over something so small like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM

3,012 posts, read 3,510,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you serious. You think the name TEXAS is more known worldwide than NEWYORK. If im a comedian, ya two would be the only ones in the audience laughing

Old 03-11-2010, 11:44 AM

13,475 posts, read 14,978,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Are you serious. You think the name TEXAS is more known worldwide than NEWYORK. If im a comedian, ya two would be the only ones in the audience laughing
I think when discussing states, he has an argument. But as for cities, NYC obvoius comes out on top. Now because NYC is usually called New York, I can see your argument as well.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,640,855 times
Quote:
PDX_LAX:
California is probably the most well-known subnational entity (that is states, provinces, territories, regions, etc) in the world. What else even comes close?

Maybe Texas/Hawaii/Florida? Ontario? Quebec?

Rhymes with Best Coast: Absolutely correct. California by far based on my travels, backpacking in through India, Southeast Asia, Australia, Europe.

Nothing more has to be said after you say you're from California. For those who have been there, people automatically gush and will tell me it's the only place in the US they would consider living in. For those who have never been there, the image of California is so overwhelmingly positive that that I have to calm them down because it gets too embarrassing for me.

I don’t know if it’s Hollywood, the weather, the beauty, the liberalism, or the schools, but CA truly moves people in a way I don’t think any other state can.
You are so right about California! I'm from New York State, originally, but I raised my daughter in California. When she was an exchange student in Chile and there were Chileans and other Americans, people would ask where they were all from. Some would say Kansas, Texas, Oregon, Virginia, New York (I was surprised when she told me the New Yorker did not get much attention) whatever, and as soon as my daughter would say, "I'm from California," immediately all the attention was on her! She said it was truly amazing -- like California was a country onto itself!

She said this happened constantly. All she had to do was mention California, and everyone wanted to be her friend! She said that so many people had heard of California -- the typical stuff of Disneyland, Hollywood, beautiful coasts and mountains, surfing, great weather, cool people (), laid-back lifestyle, acceptance of others, etc., that she felt like a star! Ha ha! But it's true. I found it a bit odd, myself, but she swore that people knew immediately about California, and suddenly she was admired just by virtue of living in California!

So, obviously, my choice is California.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 PM

5,231 posts, read 9,597,122 times
People from NY would identify themselves as being from NY, but you wouldn't know if they were talking about NYC or NY state.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:14 PM

5,231 posts, read 9,597,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
You are so right about California! I'm from New York State, originally, but I raised my daughter in California. When she was an exchange student in Chile and there were Chileans and other Americans, people would ask where they were all from. Some would say Kansas, Texas, Oregon, Virginia, New York (I was surprised when she told me the New Yorker did not get much attention) whatever, and as soon as my daughter would say, "I'm from California," immediately all the attention was on her! She said it was truly amazing -- like California was a country onto itself!

She said this happened constantly. All she had to do was mention California, and everyone wanted to be her friend! She said that so many people had heard of California -- the typical stuff of Disneyland, Hollywood, surfing, great weather, cool people (), laid-back lifestyle, acceptance of others, etc., that she felt like a star! Ha ha! But it's true. I found it a bit odd, myself, but she swore that people knew immediately about California, and suddenly she was admired just by virtue of living in California!

So, obviously, my choice is California.
I've heard the same thing said about Chicago. Apparently, its gangster lore has spread far and wide around the world.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,036,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
http://www.siena.edu/uploadedfiles/h...10_Release.pdf

Here is a poll conducted that shows that most NY'ers are "embarrassed" to call themselves NY'ers these days.

Those politicians up there are ruining that state unfortunately
From the looks of it on here.. people like Rachael84 are embarrassed to be from the US. Heck, it's NYC or NOTHING IS GOOD.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,640,855 times
Quote:
Ben Around: I've heard the same thing said about Chicago. Apparently, its gangster lore has spread far and wide around the world.
Nah, there are too many Mafiosos back east...I always felt very safe living in a Mafia neighborhood because I wasn't involved in the Mafia -- they sure did keep things in line!!

Chicago? It's one word: OPRAH!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,791,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
From the looks of it on here.. people like Rachael84 are embarrassed to be from the US. Heck, it's NYC or NOTHING IS GOOD.

You're right. If I couldn't live in either NYC, San Francisco, Las Vegas, or Seattle, I'd rather live overseas

Old 03-11-2010, 06:12 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,304,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You're right. If I couldn't live in either NYC, San Francisco, Las Vegas, or Seattle, I'd rather live overseas
So your city is more important than your county?

You should proud to be an American over anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City