Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times

Advertisements

Commercial: New York City
Residential: Los Angeles area
Balance of both: San Francisco Bay region

Overall edge to New York...that skyline seals the deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
OK this NYC/Chicago p*ssing contest is getting old. No doubt both cities have spectacular architecture and I figured they would dominate this thread which why I started it without them. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Washington DC!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Best Highrise Architecure:

NYC and Chicago

Best Residential Architecure:

Boston, DC, Philly, NYC, Baltimore

Old 03-11-2010, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 6,695 times
Overall it's New York City. Over 8000 buildings to choose from, many of them predating the existence of places like Chicago. New York is referred to in one famous architecture book as an "architect's playground" So many varying styles can be found throughout the city. Chicago is great too, but does not have the vastness of overlapping styles. Boston, Philly, and San Fran have better residential architecture IMO.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:53 PM

321 posts, read 720,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobyalips2 View Post
Overall it's New York City. Over 8000 buildings to choose from, many of them predating the existence of places like Chicago. New York is referred to in one famous architecture book as an "architect's playground" So many varying styles can be found throughout the city. Chicago is great too, but does not have the vastness of overlapping styles. Boston, Philly, and San Fran have better residential architecture IMO.
While I think Chicagoans overstate the quality of their low rise architecture, I think outsiders understate it. Chicago does have some great low rise stuff, though not as much as Boston, Philly, D.C.

Much of the brilliant low rise architecture is not solely of the residential variety, those cities have amazing cathedrals, museums, libraries, monuments, forts, meeting halls, schools, and marketplaces that were designed by world class architects of their day.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
^^ I respect your opinion, but many people out there would disagree. Quantity does not trump quality and reputation.
Well, if you read my post you'll note that I said quantity AND quality. As in both. As in, New York has both the most and the most intriguing/interesting architecture in the U.S. My opinion of course, but you act as if its some kind of forgone conclusion that Chicago has the best architecture in the country.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
I were talking about "modern architecture", not modern civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
No no no. Of course not the present cities of Rome and Athens. But Rome and Athens are responsible for modern civilization, well their achievements. Writing this is a waste of my time. If you picked up a history book you would have understood what I was saying.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
I understand but the experts all agree with me that Chicago has the best architecture in the country. The links I posted earlier proves my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, if you read my post you'll note that I said quantity AND quality. As in both. As in, New York has both the most and the most intriguing/interesting architecture in the U.S. My opinion of course, but you act as if its some kind of forgone conclusion that Chicago has the best architecture in the country.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:51 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
...but you act as if its some kind of forgone conclusion that Chicago has the best architecture in the country.
It is.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It is.
It is .... an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City