Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place has a better alternative music scene and nightlife
Atlanta 98 68.53%
Houston 51 35.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Metro-wise yes, but Houston proper is much more heavily populated than Atlanta. Houston feels considerably larger to me too. I'm a hip-hop nut, so I do love that about Atlanta.
Mmm....I can't speak on that because I've never been to ATL so I'll leave that alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
I currently live in Mobile, AL and I just graduated for the The University of South Alabama. I am 24 years old and I enjoy "alternative" events. Things like:
Hipster clubs/bars
Electro/indie-dance parties
Hardcore Shows
Anime cons, etc

I am a IT grad so I have to take my job search out of my city and have been mostly interviewing in ATL. I recently got a interview with Verizon in Houston and would like to know how it stacks up against ATL with regards to singles nightlife, alternative musics scene, girls, and the above mentioned activities.
Their Hip Hop scenes are about the same. ATL may be slightly better.

Houston's Electronic Dance Music scene is far superior to ATL's, but both suck when compared to Dallas.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:01 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The Hip Hop scenes are about the same. ATL may be slightly better.

Houston's Electronic Dance Music scene is far superior to ATL's, but both suck when compared to Dallas.
Really? I've never thought of Dallas that way. I've never clubbed in Houston but I have in Dallas and I had fun, I have to admit. I don't know if I would place it ahead of Atlanta, but Dallas is no slouch that's for certain.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Really? I've never thought of Dallas that way. I've never clubbed in Houston but I have in Dallas and I had fun, I have to admit. I don't know if I would place it ahead of Atlanta, but Dallas is no slouch that's for certain.
Dallas has an awesome nightlife if you don't mind driving around a bit instead of walking from club to club, but in some areas it is possible to walk. The Hip Hop scene isn't on par with Atlanta's or Houston's, but its clubbing scene for electronic music lovers is right up there with cities like Miami, Chicago, San Francisco, NYC, & LA.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas has an awesome nightlife if you don't mind driving around a bit instead of walking from club to club, but in some areas it is possible to walk. The Hip Hop scene isn't on par with Atlanta's or Houston's, but its clubbing scene for electronic music lovers is right up there with cities like Miami, Chicago, San Francisco, NYC, & LA.
Okay, I've got ya. I was in Dallas a couple of years ago, and we went club hoppin' (3 clubs, so guess that qualifies as hoppin'). We had so much fun. The first spot was a much more reserved place with an older crowd and I just couldn't take it after so long. I was ready to find the "action" so we went to another real club and it was huge and packed. I always have fun in Dallas, but I still haven't conquered the Houston nightlife scene yet. That's next for me I guess, but I need my hip-hop though...lol.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 07-26-2010 at 12:29 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 AM

468 posts, read 789,900 times
Dallas has nothing to do with this thread.. But Houston and Atlanta have a grea club scene.. Atlanta has a variety of different type clubs. The city is more of a club/ lounge. Atmosphere.. Anything else I know nothing about because I mostly like clubs that play hip hop..

Old 07-26-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Dallas has nothing to do with this thread.. But Houston and Atlanta have a grea club scene.. Atlanta has a variety of different type clubs. The city is more of a club/ lounge. Atmosphere.. Anything else I know nothing about because I mostly like clubs that play hip hop..
A little late are you? Its already been discussed on page 2...

Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Honestly, I think the Hip Hop scene could go either way IMO. As for every thing else, Indie music goes to Atlanta by a long shot. Jazz I would think goes to Houston because of all the Louisiana transplants. Country music I could care less. Experimental and electronic I'm not sure. I've heard Houston has one of the best experimental music scenes in the country but I can't speak from experience. If that's true, it's all VERY underground. As for the non hip hop clubs (mainly indie, experimental, and mixed genre), the ones I've been to in Houston are OK, but I don't know how they would compare to Atlanta's. The best one I've been to is Rich's in Midtown and I've been meaning to hit up Numbers, I've just never gotten around to it.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM

I don't even think the gay clubs in Atlanta play much dance music, but I could be wrong. Atlanta is a Hip Hop city just like Houston is, but Houston has always had an okay Electronic Music scene unlike Atlanta.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Metro-wise yes, but Houston proper is much more heavily populated than Atlanta. Houston feels considerably larger to me too. I'm a hip-hop nut, so I do love that about Atlanta.
As far as hip hop clubs go. You cannot go wrong with Houston and Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City