U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Fort Worth 62 45.93%
San Jose 73 54.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-20-2010, 10:50 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,715,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Are you kidding me???? The ones in the immeadiate center of the picture are maybe 10-15 feet high and the ones to the left side are maybe 30. Those are not really hills.

If they aren't hills what are they then? I understand Fort Worth doesn't have gigantic hills like you find in the hill country of Texas but nonetheless they are still hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:10 PM

631 posts, read 837,950 times
I can't really vouch for SJ cus I've never been there, but I have been to DFW area and overall I highly enjoyed my stay there. SJ skyline is totally screwed cus of the airport, but FW is also equally screwed cus of Dallas being so darn close.

I'm surprised at how close the poll is so far: 50 - FW to 54 - SJ

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:12 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,001,341 times
SJ cuz DFW is in Texass

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Actually, please don't start a new thread as that thread already exists.

So what would be the Oakland of the Metroplex?
Arlington? Maybe Irving?

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:38 PM

You guys know what I think is really funny about these two cities and their counterparts?

San Jose > Fort Worth

San Fransisco < Dallas

SJ's 'bigger brother' is actually not only smaller than Dallas, but it's also smaller than SJ itself.

(Slightly off topic I know but I though it just had to be pointed out since I didn't see it anywhere else)

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:50 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,749,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
You guys know what I think is really funny about these two cities and their counterparts?

San Jose > Fort Worth

San Fransisco < Dallas

SJ's 'bigger brother' is actually not only smaller than Dallas, but it's also smaller than SJ itself.

(Slightly off topic I know but I though it just had to be pointed out since I didn't see it anywhere else)
It is interesting that the city of San Francisco is not even a million people but that is partly due to limited space within the city limits. The Bay Area is over 7 million and Dallas-\Fort Worth metro is over 6 million.

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
How can that be? Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Denver, Omaha, Kansas City, St Louis, Minneapolis, all the big cities of Texas are bigger than San Jose. Am I missing something here?
Of those only Seattle and Denver come anywhere NEAR SJ's population and they're still 400k behind, although I personally think every last one of em's skyline (except SLC and MAYBE Omaha) blows SJ to bits, especially Denver and Seattle.

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
It is interesting that the city of San Francisco is not even a million people but that is partly due to limited space within the city limits. The Bay Area is over 7 million and Dallas-\Fort Worth metro is over 6 million.
True, SF does kind of have that one little roadblock to growth doesn't it? But now correct me if I am wrong but does the Bay Area not have more (and larger) cities on the whole than the Metroplex?

And to keep this post even slightly on topic I'll simply say that it'll be interesting to see where SJ and FW take themselves in the next decade. Lots of huge changes going on across the nation in all kinds of cities, and with these two in particular being so close to global cities (and being minor ones themselves to an extent) I think it'll be fun watching FW and SJ continue to grow into even bigger and more prominent cities than they are now (maybe FW will surpass Dallas? )

Unread 03-21-2010, 12:05 AM

7,413 posts, read 2,749,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
True, SF does kind of have that one little roadblock to growth doesn't it? But now correct me if I am wrong but does the Bay Area not have more (and larger) cities on the whole than the Metroplex?

And to keep this post even slightly on topic I'll simply say that it'll be interesting to see where SJ and FW take themselves in the next decade. Lots of huge changes going on across the nation in all kinds of cities, and with these two in particular being so close to global cities (and being minor ones themselves to an extent) I think it'll be fun watching FW and SJ continue to grow into even bigger and more prominent cities than they are now (maybe FW will surpass Dallas? )
San Jose is the largest city in the Bay Area with San Francisco next. All the other cities are relatively small [Palo Alto\ San Mateo\ Redwood City\ Oakland\ Berkeley\ Vallejo\ Fremont, etc]. The Bay Area likely comprises a larger geographic region than Dallas-Fort Worth but I am not sure about this. There are 7 Bay Area counties. How many counties in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area?

Unread 03-21-2010, 12:20 AM

2,498 posts, read 6,927,813 times
Quote:
San Jose is the largest city in the Bay Area with San Francisco next. All the other cities are relatively small [Palo Alto\ San Mateo\ Redwood City\ Oakland\ Berkeley\ Vallejo\ Fremont, etc]. The Bay Area likely comprises a larger geographic region than Dallas-Fort Worth but I am not sure about this. There are 7 Bay Area counties. How many counties in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area?
12 counties in the Dallas Forth Worth Area for 8,991 sq mi in land area home to 6.3 million people.
Dallas – Fort Worth metroplex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10 counties in the Bay Area for 8,757 sq. mi. in land area home to 7.3 million people.
San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City