U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Fort Worth 62 45.93%
San Jose 73 54.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 AM

515 posts, read 468,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I've never been to San Jose, I'm sure its beautiful but I voted for Fort Worth because I know Ft Worth has great cultural offerings, an amazing zoo and a great walkable downtown that is vibrant with people and its very close to Dallas. SJ is more isolated from SF and functions as its own entity pretty much and from photos its skyline looks like an edge city you'd see randomly throughout the metroplex.
San Jose is very much an integrated component of the San Francisco Bay Area - it constitutes the southern portion of the continuous ring of urban development that encompasses the Bay.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 AM

4,471 posts, read 4,743,041 times
I figured SJ would blow away FW. But it seems FW is really holding its own.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:21 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,208,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I figured SJ would blow away FW. But it seems FW is really holding its own.
I'm sort of surprised also. I don't know much about Fort Worth but figured it was a very conservative Bible-Belt type of city. I was wrong. Though it is clear that San Jose is much more liberal-minded.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 PM

4,471 posts, read 4,743,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I'm sort of surprised also. I don't know much about Fort Worth but figured it was a very conservative Bible-Belt type of city. I was wrong. Though it is clear that San Jose is much more liberal-minded.
Even if Fort Worth is a conservative Bible-Belt type of city, that makes it less of a pro-business and thriving urban area? San Jose being liberal-minded is good but could perhaps be a hinderance to growth, since taxation could deter some growth. Just speculating here.

I'm not trying to argue or bicker about your statement, but I just notice with this forum liberal equates to thriving urban city, conservative equates to backwoods and I just don't get it.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:36 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,268,745 times
Fort Worth should win this poll!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Even if Fort Worth is a conservative Bible-Belt type of city, that makes it less of a pro-business and thriving urban area? San Jose being liberal-minded is good but could perhaps be a hinderance to growth, since taxation could deter some growth. Just speculating here.

I'm not trying to argue or bicker about your statement, but I just notice with this forum liberal equates to thriving urban city, conservative equates to backwoods and I just don't get it.
Based on what I have read, I don't think that Fort Worth is a backwoods type of city & am happy that Texas continues to trend liberal. There are many regulations in California geared to the needs of the people [strongest anti-pollution standards in the U.S.]. If a business contributes to pollution, they are strongly regulated in California & must decrease pollution or face closure. In Texas, it seems people are OK with businesses that pollute the air & kill fellow citizens. That does not happen in California. Where would most people want to live? A place like California that advocates for better air quality even if it means loss of jobs when the company decides to move to Texas where they can pollute all they want? This is where Fort Worth loses to San Jose because Fort Worth is in Texas and San Jose is in California.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:13 PM

3,584 posts, read 4,160,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Based on what I have read, I don't think that Fort Worth is a backwoods type of city & am happy that Texas continues to trend liberal. There are many regulations in California geared to the needs of the people [strongest anti-pollution standards in the U.S.]. If a business contributes to pollution, they are strongly regulated in California & must decrease pollution or face closure. In Texas, it seems people are OK with businesses that pollute the air & kill fellow citizens. That does not happen in California. Where would most people want to live? A place like California that advocates for better air quality even if it means loss of jobs when the company decides to move to Texas where they can pollute all they want? This is where Fort Worth loses to San Jose because Fort Worth is in Texas and San Jose is in California.
Fort Worth does have a democratic mayor. Conservatives, moderates and democrats seem to love Mayor Mike Moncrief.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM

10,149 posts, read 10,489,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth does have a democratic mayor. Conservatives, moderates and democrats seem to love Mayor Mike Moncrief.
Thats true. Moncreif is a Democrat.

I am also glad that Texas is turning more liberal thanks to the influx of people here. Not because I am liberal (I am nothing), but because its nice to be more in the middle than either extreme.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
JJG

10,329 posts, read 9,862,385 times
"Oh no, Fort Worth's in TEXAS, which means it's an icky Bible thumping conservative hellhole...."

Let's not get political here folks. Fort Worth's holding its own because it's more than what you've probably heard.
These are two good cities, folks. No blowouts here....

BTW, I LOVE Mike. He's the best mayor we've ever had.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:26 PM

It is clear that all the large cities in Texas are progressive & leading Texas away from those who prefer theology over ecology!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City