U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 AM

18 posts, read 76,724 times

Advertisements

What do we all think the most naturally beautiful mid-sized cities are? I'm not talking about skyline here (although you can factor that it in, if you wish, but please keep it as merely one factor and do not base your entire opinion on that one element), but more along the lines of natural setting. Mountains, hills, plains, ocean, lakes, none of the above, all of the above, whatever you like; just give us the city and why you think its the most naturally beautiful. Oh I'm inclined to think that 'mid-sized' falls somewhere in the 100,000-300,00 metropolitan population range, yeah? I understand that some mid-sized cities can have quite sizable outlying urban areas, bringing the statistical population up way high (in some cases over a million), but I'm talking about the city proper.

Anyway, I think my vote goes to Salt Lake. Those damn mountains just seem to get me every time...gorgeous. The city itself, not half bad, quite a few pretty lovely parts and some not so pretty lovely parts. But the Wasatch Range is always beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:46 AM

26 posts, read 74,889 times
Default i have to agree with you

on Salt Lake City, not only do you get the Mountains, but theres the Salt Lake to for boating and alot of places for hiking and biking, Moab isnt too far away either!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:50 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talulah22 View Post
What do we all think the most naturally beautiful mid-sized cities are? I'm not talking about skyline here (although you can factor that it in, if you wish, but please keep it as merely one factor and do not base your entire opinion on that one element), but more along the lines of natural setting. Mountains, hills, plains, ocean, lakes, none of the above, all of the above, whatever you like; just give us the city and why you think its the most naturally beautiful. Oh I'm inclined to think that 'mid-sized' falls somewhere in the 100,000-300,00 metropolitan population range, yeah? I understand that some mid-sized cities can have quite sizable outlying urban areas, bringing the statistical population up way high (in some cases over a million), but I'm talking about the city proper.

Anyway, I think my vote goes to Salt Lake. Those damn mountains just seem to get me every time...gorgeous. The city itself, not half bad, quite a few pretty lovely parts and some not so pretty lovely parts. But the Wasatch Range is always beautiful.

I nominate my hometown of Waco,Texas!

The downtown area is situated along the Brazos river on small rolling hills; also located near one of the most underrated parks in the country (Cameron Park).

YouTube - Images of Waco Snow (producer Blake Powell).mpg

This is a video of the recent snow event in Waco, Texas.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:03 AM

20,106 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Santa Barbara is amazing:

YouTube - Downtown Santa Barbara

Old 03-14-2010, 12:27 PM

1,694 posts, read 4,952,290 times
Santa Barbara is up there..
Bellevue,WA too.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,686,221 times
Santa Barbara
Juneau Alaska
Corvallis OR
Coure de Alene ID
Boise
Asheville

Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Santa Barbara is amazing:

YouTube - Downtown Santa Barbara
That was to be my absolute first choice as well.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,744,640 times
Duluth, MN has an amazing setting overlooking Lake Superior. (the city itself has a population less than 100k, but it's close enough). The skyline itself isn't all that spectacular, but coming around the bend and seeing the city unfold with a rather nice (although small) aerial lift bridge, cargo ships in the lake, all framed by the steep hills in the background is an impressive sight.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:17 PM

196 posts, read 373,220 times
How about Anchorage?

Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 AM

2,530 posts, read 7,922,722 times
Some good ones listed already.

I'll add Fort Collins, Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or