U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather move to Houston or Portland?
Houston 139 40.17%
Portland 207 59.83%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM

11,329 posts, read 17,052,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Whoa...How in the world is Houston losing this poll. Portland vs Houston...LMAO

Someone is creating too many accounts b/c there's no way in the real world that Portland could compete with Houston in any way. Only on city-data. Don't feel bad Houstoners because Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, LA, and Charlotte sees alot of this nonsense. Give me a break!!!
I know right, it's annoying and ridiculous.

Houston for me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 12:46 AM

5,364 posts, read 12,951,497 times
I would definately choose Portland. What a great city. So underrated imo. Great public transportation, fantastic downtown, walkable, with fresh air. So many things to do. Beatiful natural beauty all around. Houston is a cool city but the oppressive heat and humidity is the absolute worst. Portland all the way.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:21 AM

492 posts, read 1,017,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I would definately choose Portland. What a great city. So underrated imo. Great public transportation, fantastic downtown, walkable, with fresh air. So many things to do. Beatiful natural beauty all around. Houston is a cool city but the oppressive heat and humidity is the absolute worst. Portland all the way.
Portland is a cool city. However with a near 20% unemployment rate and with its tens of thousands of street people, makes it unbearably depressing. Keep in mind however that with its 300plus days of rain and overcast days it even cooler.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:51 AM

18,597 posts, read 26,977,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
In Portland if you have a differing opinion from the mainstream you will be ostracized. Texas is more independent and maverick, you are allowed to be different. If you are eccentric and 'a character' you will be celebrated.
Until you disagree with the masses.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 AM

18,597 posts, read 26,977,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuisfou View Post
I agree with you on everything, except the aspect of Houston being conservative. I believe labeling any city politically is a gross generalization. I lived in Houston for 17 years before moving to New York City for university and graduate school. Let it be known that social and political conservatism are equally present in the City.

That said, Houston as a city is quite eclectic and diverse. Houston is most definitely urban, in plenty of aspects. Houstonians can be gay, straight, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, European, Texan, independent, Republican, Democrat....the list goes on.

To me, this sets the city apart from the rest of Texas. I, often, equate Houston as sort of the "true city," while the rest of Texas is more of like an "upstate New York" or something...(of course, with sprinkles of wonderful urban splendedness - San Antonio, Austin; and, then you have Dallas/Ft. Worth...which is more like Detroit in its setup than an actual urban-cored city. No offense to Detroit or Michigan for the comparison. =D )

On the other hand, Portland is absolutely beautiful and quite a refreshing respite from the urban amalgamations of Houston, LA, SF, NY, CHI, Philly, etc. I think for someone who's progressive, very environmentally-forward - it's ground zero.

However, as mentioned, Portland is quite smaller and; thus, a certain lack of amenties accompanies.

I know this is old but this is a very interesting post.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 PM

672 posts, read 1,546,551 times
The point of this thread is "where would you rather move to?"

So it's not surprising that Portland comes out ahead.

Houston may have the bigger population and skyline, bigger this, bigger that, but in the end, people would rather move to Portland, because they like it better.

Natural beauty, weather, and quality of living counts for a lot.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
The point of this thread is "where would you rather move to?"

So it's not surprising that Portland comes out ahead.

Houston may have the bigger population and skyline, bigger this, bigger that, but in the end, people would rather move to Portland, because they like it better.

Natural beauty, weather, and quality of living counts for a lot.
You are giving to much credence to this silly, unscientific poll. The only reason that Portland is leading is that all those thousands of unemployed and street people have plenty of “leisure time” to vote. While here in Houston people are too busy making money.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,527,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
You are giving to much credence to this silly, unscientific poll. The only reason that Portland is leading is that all those thousands of unemployed and street people have plenty of “leisure time” to vote. While here in Houston people are too busy making money.
Ever thought people are also voting for Portland because a small minority of people make posts like yours?

Both cities have cool features; how about you list some you like instead of attacking him in a fairly arrogant and ignorant way.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Ever thought people are also voting for Portland because a small minority of people make posts like yours?

Both cities have cool features; how about you list some you like instead of attacking him in a fairly arrogant and ignorant way.

It's obvious that you are the one who is doing the attacking here. However, I much rather concentrate on the things that Houston brings to my life.
  • An international environment, which translates into great food, drinks, exposure to other languages, cultures etc.
  • Direct flights to almost every country in Europe and S. America.
  • Higher quality and number of jobs; it's very easy to make a living here.
  • Nice warm lakes and beaches; people are relaxed and open to a conversation.
  • I love living in a semi-tropical climate. It allows one to grow basil, figs and all types of melons. There are a whole bunch of other things but they are too many to mention.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:41 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,280,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
It's obvious that you are the one who is doing the attacking here. However, I much rather concentrate on the things that Houston brings to my life.
  • An international environment, which translates into great food, drinks, exposure to other languages, cultures etc.
  • Direct flights to almost every country in Europe and S. America.
  • Higher quality and number of jobs; it's very easy to make a living here.
  • Nice warm lakes and beaches; people are relaxed and open to a conversation.
  • I love living in a semi-tropical climate. It allows one to grow basil, figs and all types of melons. There are a whole bunch of other things but they are too many to mention.
No zoning, pollution, awful public transportation, and miserable humidity outweigh figs and basil. Sorry.

There's a reason thousands of people move to Portland every year even with poor job prospects, people love living there and the quality of life is unbeatable.

...And regarding Houston's airport, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "direct service to almost every country in europe". Unless by "almost every" you really mean 6/50.

Last edited by PDX_LAX; 09-17-2009 at 12:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City