U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather move to Houston or Portland?
Houston 139 40.17%
Portland 207 59.83%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 PM

492 posts, read 994,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
For me, a good plate of Pesto with home grown basil puts away all those so call concern about zoning, public transport and whatever else.

Enjoy your basil. Who cares about public transportation anyways?
Like I just said, Houston flies to 6 out of 50 European countries. And no, actually, there is no non-stop service from Houston to Hong Kong, Shanghai, or anywhere in India. Keep trying though. 'A' for effort.

In Portland, I am sure you would have to fly to Sfco or LA first to get to the Latin America, the Far East or even Europe. So sorry.

You're sure, huh? Maybe you should look it up instead of talking out of your rear end. I can assure you, Tokyo is in fact in the far east and Amsterdam is in fact in Europe.

I have thoroughly embarrassed you and called you out on your pedestrian rants and lack of knowledge. I don't even know why you try. Sorry boo!
Continuing with the subject of public transportation, Portlandís PT doesn't have anything to write home about. I hear that the rail system there is full of homeless commuters who emit highly offensive or abhorrent odors to the poor people that must rely on it.
As far as airports and direct connections; Houston has Portland beat hands down.
The Houston airport system served more than 50 million passengers in 2008. With too many foreign no-stop destinations to count.
http://www.fly2houston.com/aboutHistory;
Portland's with a measly Passengers 14 million (2008) with just 4 non-stop international destinations (Canada, Japan, Mexico and the Netherlands).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_International_Airport
Bythe way you need to relax, you are not getting paid for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 PM

2,316 posts, read 6,694,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Continuing with the subject of public transportation, Portland’s PT doesn't have anything to write home about. I hear that the rail system there is full of homeless commuters who emit highly offensive or abhorrent odors to the poor people that must rely on it.
As far as airports and direct connections; Houston has Portland beat hands down.
The Houston airport system served more than 50 million passengers in 2008. With too many foreign no-stop destinations to count.
Portland's with a measly Passengers 14 million (2008) with just 4 non-stop international destinations (Canada, Japan, Mexico and the Netherlands).
Outside of SF, Boston, NYC, and DC, the Portland metro area has the best and most comprehensive public transit in the country. Houston can't touch that.

Conversely, Portland can't touch the air connections that Houston has to the rest of the world. Which makes sense since it's a huuuge city compared to Portland, and Portland is in such close proximity to SEA that it wouldn't make sense economically to have direct flights all over the world. That's what connecting flights are for though.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:05 AM

1,855 posts, read 4,168,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Continuing with the subject of public transportation, Portlandís PT doesn't have anything to write home about. I hear that the rail system there is full of homeless commuters who emit highly offensive or abhorrent odors to the poor people that must rely on it.
How would you know? You clearly know nothing about air transit in Houston, let alone Portland. In your previous several posts you have spewed out nothing but fabricated, incorrect facts which I have corrected each time, now you want us to believe you are an expert on Portland's public transportation system? You've already clearly stated that public transit isn't important to you so just stop talking about things you are completely ignorant about.

And if I truly need to correct you one last time, yes, as the poster above me stated, Portland probably has the best and most practical public transportation infrastructure outside the older and larger cities of New York, Boston, DC, and San Francisco (I'd add Chicago as well).

Just quit already. Stop embarrassing yourself and Houston. Go water your basil.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:40 AM

9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
It's not like Houston isn't expanding its rail options. That is about the only thing Portland really excels at over Houston, for now. It's rail transit. Luckily, Houston is working on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
The point of this thread is "where would you rather move to?"

So it's not surprising that Portland comes out ahead.

Houston may have the bigger population and skyline, bigger this, bigger that, but in the end, people would rather move to Portland, because they like it better.

Natural beauty, weather, and quality of living counts for a lot.
LOL, wut? You are putting too much into this poll. Go look at Census numbers, and tell me which city more people are moving to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Not really.

El Paso, Dallas, and Travis counties (El Paso, Dallas, and Austin, respectively) went wide for Obama. Harris and Bexar counties (Houston and San Antonio) were both about 50/50 - only slightly in Obama's favor. Tarrant county (the other half of the Dallas metro including Fort Worth) went wide for McCain.

Texas: Presidential County Results - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

2008 Texas presidential election results (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/interactive_sm/11/2008_texaselection.html - broken link)
Not even close.

See, you're looking at the counties. You have to look at the cities. For example, Harris County is HUGE. It includes almost all of Houston's suburbs. It has about four million out of the 5.7 million in Houston's metro. That is the only reason why it was that close. Because of the conservative suburbs in the county. The Houston Chronicle released a vote by precinct in the city soon after the election, and almost all the districts were Obama. Even the wealthy Memorial area on the west side of Houston.

And I'm pretty sure the City of Fort Worth went for Obama, but overall, Tarrant County didn't.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 AM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
I've been to both-Houston is fine, but I pick Portland.

I love that city. Drove thru on my way to Seattle last year and coming into Portland on the 5 Northbound is pretty spectacular. One of the best urban 'entrances' in the whole country.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:57 AM

5,429 posts, read 12,863,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
And where do you day-trip to go skiing or snowboarding if you live in Houston? Apparently nowhere. But yes, Houston has a better economy and more services in general.
You don't, unless you get on a plane.
But there is plenty of water recreation... and Houston ranks something like 3rd in the country for number of pleasure boats.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:44 AM

Yep. Plenty of water activities, plus hiking and camping in the woods/hills. Not every place in America has skiing nearby.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 AM

3,455 posts, read 6,168,264 times
Houston is without a doubt the worst place that I have ever lived. After having been gone for over twenty years I had to return to Houston for business last year and my opinion of the city has not changed...so I would pick Portland as I will never again live anywhere outside of the Pacific Northwest.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Houston is without a doubt the worst place that I have ever lived. After having been gone for over twenty years I had to return to Houston for business last year and my opinion of the city has not changed...so I would pick Portland as I will never again live anywhere outside of the Pacific Northwest.
After 20 years? Yeah, okay...

Old 09-19-2009, 01:19 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,168,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
It's not like Houston isn't expanding its rail options. That is about the only thing Portland really excels at over Houston, for now. It's rail transit. Luckily, Houston is working on that.
And it's not like L.A. isn't expanding its rail options but it will never be as good as New York's. Houston's rail is 7.5 miles long and opened in 2004. Portland's is 52 miles long and opened in 1986. Oh, and Portland metro is 2.2 million whereas Houston is 5.7 million. Oops.

Plus, Portland has 260 miles of bicycle lanes and has one of the highest percentages of people commuting by alternative transportation means. Houston has some of the worst traffic in the country.

Quote:
Not even close.

See, you're looking at the counties. You have to look at the cities. For example, Harris County is HUGE. It includes almost all of Houston's suburbs. It has about four million out of the 5.7 million in Houston's metro. That is the only reason why it was that close. Because of the conservative suburbs in the county. The Houston Chronicle released a vote by precinct in the city soon after the election, and almost all the districts were Obama. Even the wealthy Memorial area on the west side of Houston.

And I'm pretty sure the City of Fort Worth went for Obama, but overall, Tarrant County didn't.
OK, fair enough. I'll take your word for it that the city propers voted Obama. Honestly I don't care - it's the greater metropolitan area you have to look at if you really want to get a feeling for the political climate of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City