U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather move to Houston or Portland?
Houston 139 40.17%
Portland 207 59.83%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:12 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,668,464 times

Advertisements

Both cities have greenery I did my research and looked in to demographics. The sprawl is significant as well as the racial and cultural differences. Sounds like Portland has a night life similar to Vegas only cheaper? Someone said Houston is dead after 5pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 03:44 PM

1,964 posts, read 5,652,787 times
Portland's nightlife is not at all like Vegas. If I had to compare the nightlife to anything, I guess it's a bit like Ireland- pubs and a music scene. It's a VERY ecclectic place and it's nightlife is similarly eccletic. There is some odd stuff at night. Supernova, I saw you earlier express concern that Portland was a manufactured town, and nothing could be further from the truth. Portland's "greenery" is so vastly superior to Houston's they are not even in the same universe. Porland has hiking/mountain biking trails, Mt. Hood (and other mountains) are visible from downtown. Mt. Hood, 45 miles from Portland, is 11,237 feet. The highest elevation in Houston is 90 feet. My high school had a competitive ski team that practiced on Mt. Hood. When I lived in Portland I often kayaked on the Willamette River in the morning before going to work. No mosquitos, never too hot or humid. Compare that to Houston. I'm not trying to be cruel to Houston residents, it's just that the citys do not compare in any way.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 PM

You're saying that the nightlife is filled with a wide array of different musical styles? Sounds similar to Seattle's independent /underground arts scene. That's a good thing but it's also important to have other varieties. Is everything primarily downtown? How late does public transportations run?

What's the strangest or widest club you've seen/been too and what made it so?

Old 06-04-2007, 03:59 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,445,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
You're saying that the nightlife is filled with a wide array of different musical styles? Sounds similar to Seattle's independent /underground arts scene. That's a good thing but it's also important to have other varieties. Is everything primarily downtown? How late does public transportations run?
Houston nightlife is fine. Main Street is dead after 5 PM, until about 10 PM. That's when the party starts.

And for someone who said Houston is mostly Hispanic or Black, you don't know Houston. Houston is more diverse than Portland ever will be. Has Texas' largest Asian population, the U.S. largest Nigerian population, and the U.S.'s third most foreign consular offices. What does that tell you?

The bayous in Houston don't make it look TOO flat, but it is pretty flat. Once you reach the far northern suburbs, the rolling hills start so it isn't that bad.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM

It tells me that it's a good mix. Nice to hear you have a strong Asian population. How are the minorities spread out in Houston? Meaning, do you have your black neighborhood, asian area and hispanic or does everyone live side by side?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
It tells me that it's a good mix. Nice to hear you have a strong Asian population. How are the minorities spread out in Houston? Meaning, do you have your black neighborhood, asian area and hispanic or does everyone live side by side?
The east end is mostly Hispanic, with a lot of blacks. That is about the only side where they are seperate...LOL. Southwest Houston is a big mix of Blacks, Hispanics, AND Asians. The Sharpstown/Alief area are the most diverse sections of Houston. That is where Chinatown is located. There are also a lot of Indian run businesses, too, including an Indian magazine (name slips my mind).

Old 06-04-2007, 04:27 PM

Where are the caucasians in the mix and don't say the suburbs.....lol
Now that's the first I'm hearing of Sharpstown/Alief area....How far is it from the Museum Distric /Inner Loop? Sounds like a good area (real city feel) or no?

Old 06-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Where are the caucasians in the mix and don't say the suburbs.....lol
Now that's the first I'm hearing of Sharpstown/Alief area....How far is it from the Museum Distric /Inner Loop? Sounds like a good area (real city feel) or no?
Here: Sharpstown, Houston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,220,884 times
For the most part everyone in Houston lives side by side, even in the suburbs.

You don't want to live in Sharpstown.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:53 PM

Sharpstown property values have been rising, and they are fixing up the streetscape. As weird as it may sound, Sharpstown is coming back. With Chinatown on its far western borders building being so prosperous, and St. Agnes Academy and Strake Jesuit schools having large enrollments, the area is coming back. I wouldn't move there now, but in a few areas, maybe (if the rehabilitation of Sharpstown continues).

Sharpstown Mall - Houston Architecture Info Forum - HAIF®

Sharpstown History? - Houston Architecture Info Forum - HAIF®

The best: Sharpstown dangerous? - Houston Architecture Info Forum - HAIF®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City