U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather move to Houston or Portland?
Houston 139 40.17%
Portland 207 59.83%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,249,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
By city I mean a rough edge feel where everything is not so neatly situated and clean.
LOL! Well, Houston certainly fits the bill for you then! Billboard blight is our biggest problem, IMO. There are some groups working to reduce it. I think that will go a LONG way toward improving quality of life and making the city more visually appealing from its freeways. There's a stretch of Loop 610 between Bellaire and Meyerland that is billboard-free and wow, what a difference! Houston has some really beautiful parts, but they get obscured when people talk/think about the city because you have to get off the freeway to see them, so it's no surprise people form their opinions based on what they see from the airports when they visit. We're not as tourist-friendly as we should be, but we're working on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 01:52 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,464,401 times
Quote:
Both Houston and Portland have their strengths and weaknesses and deciding is difficult when both cities offer benefits. I like the fact that Portland take pride in its environment, clean air, health and maintaining a beautiful city. But at the same time it looks like a big suburb as opposed to an actual city. By city I mean a rough edge feel where everything is not so neatly situated and clean. Houston has nasty heat, humidity, bugs, sprawl and a poor transit system but you won't have a problem getting a good job and it has more culture/ethnicities as a result of its size. I wouldn't have selected these cities unless I believed they had something to offer me.
It doesn't matter where you are from over here. The only time that stuff like that did happen was just after Hurricane Katrina. Many evacuees started trouble here in Houston, and the crime spiked. It has gone down drastically since then though, and they aren't viewed differently anymore.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Oh don't let me forget Texas hospitality! Which I have found to be very courteous. It's important to "live" amongst kind/welcoming people. I don't know what the social scene in Houston is like, with regards to attitudes towards non-natives?
I don't want to repeat the "world class city" mantra, but here it applies! Houston is a city. Plenty of people, PLENTY, are from somewhere else. There are several universities, so many immigrants, and lots of business transplants. And the natives are friendly, too.

On another note, you seem concerned about Texas's religious conservatism. I don't know what they're feeding y'all out in California, but I posted this in another thread. According to Sperling's Best Places, here is a list of the major cities in Texas in order from most religious to least religious.

San Antonio 65.14%
El Paso 63.43%
Dallas 55.11%
Ft. Worth 52.45%
Houston 50.38%
Austin 46.17%

To further compare, the U.S. average is 50.03% and Portland is 45.71%.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
It doesn't matter where you are from over here. The only time that stuff like that did happen was just after Hurricane Katrina. Many evacuees started trouble here in Houston, and the crime spiked. It has gone down drastically since then though, and they aren't viewed differently anymore.
I don't know about "many" evacuees. More like "some" evacuees.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:45 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,675,924 times
Yes, that was my point, that you can't judge a city by a few incidents or people. You have to take many factors in to consideration. I do believe, without question, Houstoners are more friendly based on the make-up of this city. It's good to have a good ethnic-mixture. I like the fact that there are many immigrants in Houston! This adds to a very rich and varied culture that makes Houston such a unique city.

Am I concerned about conservative attitudes, sure, I have stated this before. I prefer a political climate, local laws/ordinances to be as liberal as possible. By this I mean a high threshold for tolerance, variety, and overall freedom. Thanks for posting the statistical percentages relative to each city.

I already checked in to Austin and it didn't have what I was looking for. Houston would be the only city that I would consider with regards to Texas should I decide to move there.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:52 PM

Cool beans!

I fear my username is misleading. The correct term is Houstonians. My username is a pun.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 PM

I guess george Bush doesn't have a friend in Austin. He must be filled with grief being a Texan and all. I often imagined him giving the State of the Union in cowboy boots and a hat.:

Old 06-15-2007, 10:09 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,628,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Houston has some really beautiful parts, but they get obscured when people talk/think about the city because you have to get off the freeway to see them, so it's no surprise people form their opinions based on what they see from the airports when they visit.
So, so true. Most of the negative comments about Houston that you'll hear is coming from people who have only been on the turnpikes or outside the loop and they judge from that, not knowing how ignorant they sound. Still, there are some people who are qualified to make such judgments and they just simply don't like Houston. This city is indeed not for everybody, and the only way you'll be able to know whether or not it's for you is to come stay down here for a while.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:43 AM

mpope- Very good post, I agree. Every city is not for everyone but every city has something to offer. That's why it's important to know what you like and what you want. I've done enough traveling where I can make a decision about a location based on personal research and comments from longtime locals. I agree, there is a lot of ridicule about Houston but I'm sure that it can't be that bad otherwise millions of people wouldn't be living in the 4th largest city.

I like the pictures that you guys posted, especially the greenery/trees. Why do people say that Houston is all "concrete and expressways." Sure it's not Portland but it's not a desolate rural highway either....lol

Old 06-15-2007, 10:46 AM

Also remember that "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder. Some people love the city with all the elaborate architecture, eclectic culture and variety etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City