Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather move to Houston or Portland?
Houston 139 40.17%
Portland 207 59.83%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
No zoning, pollution, awful public transportation, and miserable humidity outweigh figs and basil. Sorry.
In bold sounds like most major cities in Texas to some degree. Including the much-lauded Austin.

Obviously these things aren't severe enough to stop people from moving to Houston, or to make them leave it in large numbers. So "what" outweighs "what" is rather subjective.

As far as the "no zoning" thing, this is really overblown. So many city ordinances have been created to help make up for the lack of a formal zoning code. Then you've got HOAs and deed restrictions in most neighborhoods. Not denying Houston's a little chaotic looking... just not as disorganized and out-of-control as people make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
It's obvious that you are the one who is doing the attacking here. However, I much rather concentrate on the things that Houston brings to my life.
  • An international environment, which translates into great food, drinks, exposure to other languages, cultures etc.
  • Direct flights to almost every country in Europe and S. America.
  • Higher quality and number of jobs; it's very easy to make a living here.
  • Nice warm lakes and beaches; people are relaxed and open to a conversation.
  • I love living in a semi-tropical climate. It allows one to grow basil, figs and all types of melons. There are a whole bunch of other things but they are too many to mention.
Ha. I love people like you. I suggest you point out positives of Houston instead of bashing others and you write: "However, I much rather concentrate on the things that Houston brings to my life." Extra points for blaming me for doing the attacking too...

I love this country!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:11 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
No zoning, pollution, awful public transportation, and miserable humidity outweigh figs and basil. Sorry.

There's a reason thousands of people move to Portland every year even with poor job prospects, people love living there and the quality of life is unbeatable.

...And regarding Houston's airport, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "direct service to almost every country in europe". Unless by "almost every" you really mean 6/50.
For me, a good plate of Pesto with home grown basil puts away all those so call concern about zoning, public transport and whatever else.
Let me clarify about Houston's Airport non-stop service.
I have flown non-stop (direct flight) from Houston to: London, Paris, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam. I know there are more direct flights to Europe such as to Moscow and other cities in Europe but I have not taken them.
Other longer direct flights are Dubai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and various other destinations in India.
Latin America is thoroughly covered with Direct flights from Houston to Buenos Aires, Lima, Sao Paulo, Caracas etc. etc. in addition more than twenty direct daily flights to various Mexican destinations.
In Portland, I am sure you would have to fly to Sfco or LA first to get to the Latin America, the Far East or even Europe. So sorry.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Until you disagree with the masses.
The masses in Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio voted for Obama by a large margin, perhaps you are unaware.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:57 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
For me, a good plate of Pesto with home grown basil puts away all those so call concern about zoning, public transport and whatever else.

Enjoy your basil. Who cares about public transportation anyways?

I have flown non-stop (direct flight) from Houston to: London, Paris, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam. I know there are more direct flights to Europe such as to Moscow and other cities in Europe but I have not taken them.
Other longer direct flights are Dubai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and various other destinations in India.

Like I just said, Houston flies to 6 out of 50 European countries. And no, actually, there is no non-stop service from Houston to Hong Kong, Shanghai, or anywhere in India. Keep trying though. 'A' for effort.

In Portland, I am sure you would have to fly to Sfco or LA first to get to the Latin America, the Far East or even Europe. So sorry.

You're sure, huh? Maybe you should look it up instead of talking out of your rear end. I can assure you, Tokyo is in fact in the far east and Amsterdam is in fact in Europe.

I have thoroughly embarrassed you and called you out on your pedestrian rants and lack of knowledge. I don't even know why you try. Sorry boo!

Old 09-18-2009, 05:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Portland is cool, but being practical, I'd have to choose Houston.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Until you disagree with the masses.
So true. The conservative base in Texas is just as bad as the liberal base in Portland. Although people do somewhat overexagerate how conservative it is in TX. SOME of the rural areas are just as EXTREMELY conservative as SF Portland, or Seattle are EXTREMELY liberal. But just like EVERY other state, the big cities in TX are pretty liberal. I've see more anti-Bush/Channey/McCain/Palin stickers in Austin then I have in ALOT places. If you're a liberal Texan you almost have to overcomposate, and flamboyantly express your liberalism, to prove how liberal you are, because of the Conservative reputation TX has.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The masses in Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio voted for Obama by a large margin, perhaps you are unaware.
That is also true. People forget that 3.5million Texans voted for Obama. One of the highest Obama voting turnout in the nation, even if McCain won the state.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Not really.

El Paso, Dallas, and Travis counties (El Paso, Dallas, and Austin, respectively) went wide for Obama. Harris and Bexar counties (Houston and San Antonio) were both about 50/50 - only slightly in Obama's favor. Tarrant county (the other half of the Dallas metro including Fort Worth) went wide for McCain.

Texas: Presidential County Results - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

2008 Texas presidential election results (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/interactive_sm/11/2008_texaselection.html - broken link)

Old 09-18-2009, 06:52 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I could never adapt to the utter flatness of Houston's topography. And where do you day-trip to go skiing or snowboarding if you live in Houston? Apparently nowhere. But yes, Houston has a better economy and more services in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City