U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-17-2010, 01:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,382,984 times
They both score similarly on all but crime and winter. That said, I'll give this my best shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
Which city is:

Prettier: I give the edge to DC. There is a certain glitziness that appeals to me.
Safer: Boston is the clear cut winner on this
More Liveable: they are both great places to live. This question is very subjective, so my personal preference is Boston because I really like New England, much more than I like Virginia (although Maryland is cool, I gravitate more toward the Baltimore side).
Less Expensive: 6 and one half dozen. It depends what you are buying, but both are among the most expensive cities in the world.
More Cosmopolitan/Urban: I'll go with the same split others have mentioned (see my point about glitziness, where Boston's counter would be grittiness). DC=more cosmopolitan, Boston=more urban. But it is close on both counts.
Better for singles: I stopped being single 20 years ago, I really don't have a clue.
More tolerable in the winter: I'm going against the grain, but to me a winter is more tolerable if the city knows how to cope with a major snow storm. I can't imagine putting up with the February DC had this year. It simply boggles my mind that streets would go several days without being plowed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:26 AM

6,972 posts, read 11,724,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh74 View Post
which city is:

Prettier - boston
safer - boston
more liveable - tie
less expensive - not sure
more cosmopolitan/urban - cosmo - dc, urban - boston
better for singles - tie
more tolerable in the winter - dc
there are quite a few ties. livable/singles scene are similar imo. the cosmo/urban could be a tie as well

Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 AM

6,258 posts, read 7,117,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
Granted Allston isn't exactly Back Bay or Dupont, but it is reasonablly walkable/urban.
I forgot to address this...Allston/Brighton is a very walkable area! I don't know if you've spent a lot of time there, but it's a reasonably dense neighborhood (about 17,000 ppsm) with lots of bars/restaurants scattered throughout. It also has very good coverage in regards to both rail and bus. It's not the most walkable neighborhood in the city (obviously the North End, South End, Beacon Hill, and Back Bay slaughter it), but it's much better than most neighborhoods in the country.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 AM

218 posts, read 524,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
Which city is:

Prettier- Green Space- DC, Waterways- Boston

Safer-Both have trouble zones and crime seems to be isolated to those zones that you'd have no business being in for the most part

More Liveable- As a college student or young adult- Boston. Now that I've hit mid to late 20's and beyond, I feel DC would be a better fit.

Less Expensive- DC- I've heard and seen on craigslist you get a little more bang for your buck (newer, nicer)

More Cosmopolitan/Urban - Boston's urban/downtown footprint is actually fairly small. Among the actual City of Boston, I believe the Dorchester neighborhood is equal in size to all the neighborhoods put together, but its mostly residential.

Better for singles- DC. I find most of the chicks to be unapproachable in Boston and they go for the classic type A douche bag guy. DC is more transient with single people ready to mingle from all over.

More tolerable in the winter
- This winter? Boston. Most winters? DC. Though as a previous poster stated---when it snows in Boston, the roads are cleared pretty quickly.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:51 AM

15,293 posts, read 10,957,584 times
Boston

Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 AM

3,487 posts, read 1,711,413 times
I love Boston!! im not a big fan of east coast but i have to admit that Boston is great and very, very pretty especially in summer and spring. I think Boston is more liveable but i like DC climate more

Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 PM

643 posts, read 727,056 times
I've lived in the suburbs of both and I think DC is better in every single area of those on your list. The crime in DC is relatively easy to avoid. I spent a lot of time working in DC as a single professional and rarely ever felt unsafe. Boston is not an attractive city to me and I've spent time there over the past 20 years. Have spent several weekends there recently and I just don't get what people like about it. DC is as cosmo as it gets in food and cultural diversity; and has some of the best architecture in the world. It's "pretty" in a way Boston just can't compete with. A blossoming cherry tree at the tidal basin on a fine spring day in DC beats anything Boston has to offer IMO.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:59 AM

455 posts, read 573,403 times
What cities has better public transit? DC or Boston?

Old 04-10-2010, 05:59 AM

18,535 posts, read 14,569,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
What cities has better public transit? DC or Boston?

This could be subjective but both are very good in terms of public transit (metro and t are two of the best in the country)

I like both but give the slight edge to Boston on the main topic

Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 AM

2,351 posts, read 1,348,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
It's worth pointing out that, along with SF, DC and Boston are my favorite cities in the U.S. I think they get compared to one another so frequently because they share traits that many find desirable. If you find a lot you like about one, odds are you'll find a lot to like about the other.
I think after NYC, LA, and Chicago these cities are easily the most important in the country, and cerainly drive culture, economy and politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City