U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2010, 06:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 7,001,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Your kidding yourself if you think Georgia offers just as much as Texas. No way; Texas is extremely too big for Georgia to be compared.
And there it is..Exactly what I mean.Texans and there BIG fixation.Bigger obviously means better apparently.Was it you that said you never have been to Georgia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,073,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
And there it is..Exactly what I mean.Texans and there BIG fixation.Bigger obviously means better apparently.Was it you that said you never have been to Georgia?
Did I say Texas was better??? My point was that Texas is extremely too big (land wise) compared to Texas. It ecompasses at least 3 to 4 different regions. Goergia is always affilated with the south. Texas is a mixture midwestern, southern, western, and more.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think the Spanish were in Florida 1st. You can still see this influence today. The Spanish dominated TX also. Florida has MANY Haitians, Jamaicans, Germans, Native Americans also. Texas also has a growing Haitian community, and plenty of Germans, Native Americans, Scotts, PLENTY of Creoles, plus plenty of Nigerians(just like ATL) plenty of Vietnamese, Salvadorians, Colombians, Puerto Ricans, Tejano Culture, and different Indian tribal entities such as the Ysleta Del Sur Pueblo. Maybe it doesn't offer the SAME exact things as GA does, and I've driven all over GA the same way you have TX(I've been to Savanah, ATL, Augusta, just to name a few) but to suggest it can't hold a candle to, or compare to GA is something else.
This was never about any other pace but Atlanta and Texas.I never said Georgia was number one in all categories or anything of that nature.You made a foolish statement,I came and answered you with facts,three people(in support of Texas and from) have since acted as if I were the originator of such bold comments.

The facts I pointed out were basically in answer to you suggesting that Texas has everything plus some more than Georgia.I think I pointed out some pretty well thought out reason why I thought what I wrote.

All you guys are doing is being vague.Texans always resort to size as if having the largest football stadium is any different than having a very large football stadium.

Notice how I carefully stay away from more or less because its pointless if both places have about the same amount or sze of things.

Georgia has the worlds Largest Aquarium.Why would I bring it up if Texas has aquariums also?So instead I mentioned those things that are more unique to Georgia.

fact is Texas has no Revolutionary History
Fact is Texas has no role in the founding of this country
Fact is Texas is divers and getting more diverse,but so is Georgia and the rest of the South.So these arguments are trivial best.

Why is it I can't say Georgia is better but you allow SPADE to say this:
Quote:
"Texas, By far the most diverse state in the Southern US"
Because you agree?Well ask the Florida people about that.See what they think.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Did I say Texas was better??? My point was that Texas is extremely too big (land wise) compared to Texas. It ecompasses at least 3 to 4 different regions. Goergia is always affilated with the south. Texas is a mixture midwestern, southern, western, and more.
So is New York in the Northeast.You Texas people act like that is like the biggest deal in the world.By your standard Texas is more diverse than any other state because it covers a large area.Most of Texas actually is not drastically different culturally than many other places in America but with the exception of their being so many Mexicans and Central Americans.

Truth is diversity means absolutely NOTHING if there is no equality or fairness in the representation in Government and commerce.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,494,272 times
Quote:
"Technically",it does not.I don't really mean to sound smug,but Georgia has so much going on.(In spit of idiot leaders)Many people really don't know much about Georgia other than Atlanta.Too bad for them they don't.
Texas maybe bigger but culturally, ethnically and historically it can't hold a candle,Beauty and other things are subjective.(even that I find less than Georgia)

For one thing the History is lacking.
Not in Georgia is one of the original 13 colonies.It at one time spread all the way to the Louisianna border.

The Trail of Tears started in Georgia.You can visit the sites of many Native American sites.Some that go back more than 12,000 years.The Seminole Nations birthplace in South Georgia.
See Civil Rights birthplace
See Macon,Georgia Birthplace of more than one of America music genres.Gospel and Rock and Roll.Little Richard,Otis Redding,The Allman Brothers.Randy Crawford,

Also home to Nancy Grace,Sidney Laneir,
P. B. S. Pinchback-The 24th Governor of Louisiana-also the first of any state African American
Even the recently decease Lena Horne grew up partially in Macon.

James Brown(the God father of Soul)
Ray Charles-Albany

You can pan for Gold in the Georgia Mountains near Dalonega Georgia site of the nations first Gold rush and earliest Mint.

Texas does not have a Forbes/Mobil Rated facility like Georgia has on Sea Island and in Atlanta.

One place is on the Georgia coast on the group of barrier Islands called the Golden Isles.Sea Island in particular You may recall the G-8 Summit held there in 2004.

One of only a hand full of places in all of North America to receive such a designation.It has been rankled by all the major luxury travel publications as one of the top resorts in the world

YouTube - The Cloister Hotel Sea Island Georgia

Don't forget the Gullah/Geechie people.Descendants of the African slaves brought to America.They cultivated the rice crops in the outlying marshlands.Malaria and Yellow fever were rampant.But the slaves came from similar areas in Africa that allowed them to have more immunity from those life threatening diseases.

They left a few of their trusted black "overseers"in charge.So their culture,Language and customs they brought from Africa did not change much as those slaves on the mainland became more westernised by the English influences surrounding them

What about Jekyll Island where the Rockafellers, Carnegie's, Vanderbilt's, built their "cottages"(small mansions) for their summer homes?
YouTube - Jekyll Island Area Video

Any place like Savannah and its colonial history?The architecture?Pop Culture?
Birthplace of Johnny Mercer.The Girl Scouts.The Cotton Gin,Paula Deen.Forest Gump .John Wesley(founder of Methodism home in the U.S.)Firts sunday school in north America.

How about searching for Blackbeard(the Pirates) treasure of the coast of Georgia around Sapelo Island.He terrorized the areas during his reighn of the seas.

The Hostess City-Savannah est 1733:

YouTube - Savannah GA

Civil War History in Texas?In abundance like Fort Pulaski.
YouTube - Fort Pulaski in Savannah, GA
Dont even mention all of the Revolutionary War history.
Like the Fort Frederica National Monument where the Battle of Bloody Marsh in 1742 on St.Simons Island:

Then You have Augusta.Does Texas have a worldwide top yearly sporting event considered the final championship.Such as Golf and the Masters Tournament at Augusta National.Designed by the best golfer of all time Bobby Jones of Atlanta.

Atlanta is another big city.Not too much different than Dallas or Houston.
Where in Texas can you tour a major News Network or Studios?
Turner Broadcasting and CNN,or a full fledge Film Production groundss like Tyler Perry Studios.The Weather Channel

Not to mention more music production studios and Record companies like:LaFace Records, Rowdy Records,Bad Boy South,SoSo Def,Patchwerk Studios,Doppler Studios.

An African American as I am.I went to an HBCU.In Georgia I had a choice of at least 10.Which 3 are state/public.One is a a Medical College.I also love HBCU football.In Atlanta I can go see 3 HBCU games or go to Georgia Tech in the Middle of the city under the Backdrop of the tallest building in the South.And when it is completed I will be able to go the College Football Hall of Fame.

Atlanta is the only Olympic City in the South.I can visit many attractions that pay homage to the world largest competitive sporting event.

In Atlanta I can go to Stone Mountain Park and ride a Swiss made Cable Car to the top of the Mountain.While there I can also see the enormous bas-relief on its north face, the largest bas-relief in the world.
Afonega, perhaps you can enlighten me as to why Texas holds no historical significance in your reply, I am looking forward to it.

Anyways, y'all did tell me y'all were havin one them ho downs right here on city day-tah, I be coming here late but imma pack some majah infos.

I myself like Georgia and Texas, but you do not see me putting it down, and yes you're right, it has many things Texas doesn't. But there are plenty of things Tex has got that Georgia can never have.

Culturally- Texas has it's own. Our culture is "Texan" perhaps you have heard of it?
Ethnically- You're kidding me right? I'll break down ethnicity in just a moment.

You say Georgia at a point extended to Louisiana. Maybe you do not know of Texas's history Afonega, I shall clue you in.

Texas was far larger land wise than what it is now.
This is a picture of what the "Republic of Texas" looked like:
http://www.srttexas.org/Graphic/texas_rep.jpg (broken link)
There, how does "big bad Texas" look now? Pretty large country, don't you think?

Ethnic diversity of Texas and population statistics:
Total Population: 24.32 million
- Male: 49.6%
- Women: 50.4%
- 18 years and over 71.8%
- 65 years and over 9.9%
- Married Persons 56.5%
- Single Persons 43.5%
- Median Age 32.3
- Average Family Size 3.28

Ethnicity:
- White 73.1%
- Black or African American 12.0%
- American Indian and Alaska Native 1.0%
- Asian 3.1%
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 0.1%
- Other 13.3%
- Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 32.0%

20 Most Diverse Counties in the US, 2000 Claritas
1 Queens, NY
2 Alameda, CA(Oakland)
3 Kings, NY(Brooklyn)
4 Robeson, NC
5 Fort Bend, TX(Suburban Houston)
6 Hudson, NJ
7 New York, NY(Manhattan)
8 Harris, TX
9 Los Angeles, CA
10 Dallas, TX
11 San Francisco, CA
12 Solano, CA
13 Santa Clara, CA
14 Cook, IL
15 Essex, NJ(Newark)
16 San Joaquin, CA
17 Bronx, NY
18 San Mateo, CA
19 San Bernardino, CA
20 Fresno, CA

Claritas Study Ranks Racial/Ethnic Diversity in Counties Nationwide; Analysis Shows California Leads Nation In Diversity Among Counties Of 100,000-Plus Population | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET

Texas: 3
Georgia: 0

CSAs by Non-Hispanic Whites as a Percentage of the Total Population, 2008
Minneapolis-St Paul-St Cloud, MN-WI 82.4%...2,935,653
Boston-Manchester-Nashua, MA-RI-NH 79.5%...6,003,963
Cleveland-Akron-Elyria, OH 76.2%...2,202,548
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA 73.2%...2,994,406
Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI 70.0%...3,751,117
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD 67.7%...4,332,178
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 58.6%...2,510,423
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI 56.4%...5,531,148
Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV 55.6%...4,616,198
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL 54.0%...3,091,629
New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA 53.6%...11,875,453
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 50.6%...1,520,331
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX 50.5%...6,650,206
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA 45.5%...3,351,099
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX 42.6%...2,484,336
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 37.7%...2,044,501
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA 34.9%...6,218,518

Houston is of four CSA's where the majority is below 50%
Credit Montclair on the information regarding the CSA's.

How is that for diversity?
It's not all that impressive as say the Northeast, but it's good enough to pass with a good grade.

TOP 11 LIST OF MOST DIVERSE METROPOLITAN AREAS IN TERMS OF RACIAL GROUPS (out of the top 11 populated metro areas):
1) San Francisco (.687)
2) Houston (.676)
3) Los Angeles (.664)
4) Miami (.663)
5) Dallas (.618)
6) Chicago (.605)
7) Washington (.604)
8) Atlanta (.599)
9) New York (.595)
10) Philadelphia (.494)
11) Boston (.346)

Houston and Dallas both rank higher than Atlanta, no other Georgia cities are on the list.

Now that ethnicity/population is settled, lets talk about schools.

Overall Emory and Rice University are tied for 17th.

National Universities Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Both UT Austin and Georgia Tech are public ivies.

Football games at UT Austin:
Ranked 5th in Division I sports- UT Austin, also crowned as 2002's "Best sports college in USA"

University of Texas at Austin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlanta might have held the Olympics but alumni from UT Austin have won medals at the Olympics, like Ian Crocker, and many others.

- Over 15 graduates of UT have served in the US senate & House of Representatives
- Alumni Michael Dell became the CEO and founder of Dell Computers
- Alumni Gary C. Kelly became CEO of Southwest Airlines
Anyways, we all get what I'm trying to say.

It's beautiful, I'm proud to say i go to school here.

The stadium where the Longhorns from UT play is now the second largest football stadium in Texas, only second to the newly built Cowboys Stadium and larger than Houston Texan's Reliant Stadium.
Record attendance was 101,357, that's one fourth of Miami's city proper population and just less than one fifth of Atlanta's city proper.
Pretty big, huh? I know, we do it BIG in Texas!

Okay now, I know Texas doesn't have all the cool stuff you just listed Afonega, but what Texas does have is;

Austin:

Houston:

Fort Worth:

San Antonio:

Dallas:

El Paso:

Natural Scenery:

Some More:

http://www.onedollartrip.com/images/big_bend_national_park.jpg (broken link)

http://www.travelthewholeworld.com/sitebuilder/images/Texas_Lake_Travis-502x383.jpg (broken link)
http://i.stcdn.net/blogs/4/uploads/hotfallpic.jpg (broken link)
North Panhandle: Yes that's snow, ski area
http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/pt/photos/2008/11/081124_NTR_23vail.jpg (broken link)

My Personal Favorites:

Oh okay, so what else does that leave?

AHHH yes, the history!
I know you don't want to hear it, but you can't just go around telling Georgia's history and expect Texas to not share! It's an open room!!

Texas History: (I am copying and pasting this, I don't want to write all this!)
The history of Texas begins in 1519, when the first European explorers found the region was populated by various Native American tribes. During the period of 1519 to 1848, all or parts of Texas were claimed by six countries: Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the United States of America—as well as the Confederate States of America in 1861-65.

The first European base was established until 1682, when René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle established a French colony, Fort Saint Louis, near Matagorda Bay. The colony was killed off after three years, but its presence motivated Spanish authorities to begin activity. Several missions were established in East Texas; they were abandoned in 1691. Twenty years later, concerned with the French presence in neighboring Louisiana, Spanish authorities again attempted to colonize Texas. Over the next 110 years, Spain established numerous villages, presidios, and missions in the province. A small number of Spanish settlers arrived, in addition to missionaries and soldiers. Spain signed agreements with colonizers from the United States. When Mexico won its independence from Spain in 1821, Mexican Texas was part of the new nation. To encourage settlement, Mexican authorities allowed organized immigration from the United States, and by 1834, over 30,000 Anglos lived in Texas, compared to only 7,800 Mexicans.

Angry at the government in Mexico City, Texans fought and won the Texas Revolution in 1835-36. Texas now became an independent nation, the Republic of Texas. Attracted by the rich cotton lands and ranch lands, tens of thousands of immigrants arrived from the U.S. (bringing slaves) and from Germany as well. In 1845, Texas joined the United States, becoming the 28th state. Determined to protect slavery, Texas declared its secession from the United States in 1861 to join the Confederate States of America. Only a few battles of the American Civil War were fought in Texas; most Texas regiments served in the east. When the war ended the slaves were freed and Texas was subject to Reconstruction, a process that left a residue of bitterness among whites and a second- class status for blacks in a Jim Crow system of segregation.

Cotton and ranching dominated the economy, with railroad construction after 1870 a major factor in the formation of new cities. Toward the end of the 19th century timber became an important industry in Texas as well. In 1901 a petroleum discovery at Spindletop Hill, near Beaumont, created the most productive oil well the world had ever seen. The wave of oil speculation and discovery that followed came to be known as the "Oil Boom", permanently transforming and enriching the economy of Texas. Agriculture and ranching gave way to a service-oriented society after the boom years of World War II. Segregation ended in the 1960s, and instead of a one-party Democratic state, Texas was first highly competitive and (after 2000), solidly Republican. Texas has continued to grow rapidly, becoming the second largest state in population in 1994, and became economically highly diversified, with a growing base in high technology.

If you want, you can brush up on it; it should only take maybe 2-3 hours to read, not too long!

History of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas & California were the reasons that the United States went to war with Mexico. It was called the Mexican-American War. Pretty neat, huh? It's cool when two countries go to war for you!! That war completed Manifest Destiny, it expanded the land size of USA by one third, and gave us so much in return.

It was it's own country, only 3 other states can claim that same stature!!

Population of 20 largest cities in the country:
1. New York City: 8,363,710
2. Los Angeles: 3,833,995
3. Chicago: 2,853,114
4. Houston: 2,242,193
5. Phoenix: 1,567,924
6. Philadelphia: 1,540,351
7. San Antonio: 1,351,305
8. Dallas: 1,279,910
9. San Deigo: 1,279,329
10. San Jose: 948,279
11. Detroit: 912,062
12. San Francisco: 808,976
13. Jacksonville: 807,815
14. Indianapolis: 798,382
15. Austin: 757,688
16. Columbus: 754,885
17. Fort Worth: 703,073
18. Charlotte: 687,456
19. Memphis: 669,651
20. Baltimore: 636,919

As you can see, one Texas city (Houston) makes it into the top 5, three Texas cities (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas) make it into the top 10, and five Texas cities (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth) make it into the top 20. More than any other state in the USA.

Texas: 5

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Metropolitan Areas:
1. New York City: 19,069,796
2. Los Angeles: 12,874,797
3. Chicago: 9,580,567
4. Dallas-Fort Worth: 6,447,615
5. Philadelphia: 5,968,252
6. Houston: 5,867,489
7. Miami: 5,547,051
8. Washington DC: 5,476,241
9. Atlanta: 5,475,213
10. Boston: 4,588,680

Texas: 2
Georgia: 1

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways, I didn't vote for a favorite state, that's just plain stupid. I like certain things about all of these states. The beaches of Florida, the lush green North Carolina, history of Savannah, Georgia, and home sweet home Texas.

IMHO, Texas = Georgia = North Carolina = Florida

None of these states are better than the other, it comes down to what you like, and why you pick one over the other. I like them all, and I can see myself happily living in any four of them.

I just had to post all the other information because Texas wasn't being judged fairly.

YouTube - Houston Texaplex

YouTube - Texaplex - by David Winans

LOL You guys will love this one:

YouTube - A History of Texas

YouTube - Texas Revolution History Project

YouTube - Houston Will Pay Your Bills!
^^^ LOLOLOLOL that one is classic!

By the way, when I posted the picture and statistics for the stadium UT has, I wasn't trying to say it's "big" I was trying to say it's popular, it's big because so many people go there, it's kind of a tradition. Every game there is like a FIESTA on the streets man. Not trying to say our stadiums are better than yours.

Last edited by DANNYY; 05-17-2010 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,780,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Afonega, perhaps you can enlighten me as to why Texas holds no historical significance in your reply, I am looking forward to it.

Anyways, y'all did tell me y'all were havin one them ho downs right here on city day-tah, I be coming here late but imma pack some majah infos.

I myself like Georgia and Texas, but you do not see me putting it down, and yes you're right, it has many things Texas doesn't. But there are plenty of things Tex has got that Georgia can never have.

Culturally- Texas has it's own. Our culture is "Texan" perhaps you have heard of it?
Ethnically- You're kidding me right? I'll break down ethnicity in just a moment.

You say Georgia at a point extended to Louisiana. Maybe you do not know of Texas's history Afonega, I shall clue you in.

There, how does "big bad Texas" look now? Pretty large country, don't you think?

- 65 years and over 9.9%
- Married Persons 56.5%
- Single Persons 43.5%
- Median Age 32.3

Ethnicity:
- White 73.1%
- Asian 3.1%
- Other 13.3%

1 Queens, NY
2 Alameda, CA(Oakland)
3 Kings, NY(Brooklyn)
4 Robeson, NC
6 Hudson, NJ
8 Harris, TX
9 Los Angeles, CA
10 Dallas, TX
11 San Francisco, CA
12 Solano, CA
13 Santa Clara, CA
14 Cook, IL
15 Essex, NJ(Newark)
16 San Joaquin, CA
17 Bronx, NY
18 San Mateo, CA
19 San Bernardino, CA
20 Fresno, CA

Claritas Study Ranks Racial/Ethnic Diversity in Counties Nationwide; Analysis Shows California Leads Nation In Diversity Among Counties Of 100,000-Plus Population | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET

It's not all that impressive as say the Northeast, but it's good enough to pass with a good grade.

TOP 11 LIST OF MOST DIVERSE METROPOLITAN AREAS IN TERMS OF RACIAL GROUPS (out of the top 11 populated metro areas):
1) San Francisco (.687)
2) Houston (.676)
3) Los Angeles (.664)
4) Miami (.663)
5) Dallas (.618)
6) Chicago (.605)
7) Washington (.604)
8) Atlanta (.599)
9) New York (.595)
10) Philadelphia (.494)
11) Boston (.346)

Houston and Dallas both rank higher than Atlanta, no other Georgia cities are on the list.

National Universities Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Ranked 5th in Division I sports- UT Austin, also crowned as 2002's "Best sports college in USA"

Atlanta might have held the Olympics but alumni from UT Austin have won medals at the Olympics, like Ian Crocker, and many others.

- Over 15 graduates of UT have served in the US senate & House of Representatives

The stadium where the Longhorns from UT play is now the second largest football stadium in Texas, only second to the newly built Cowboys Stadium and larger than Houston Texan's Reliant Stadium.
Record attendance was 101,357, that's one fourth of Miami's city proper population and just less than one fifth of Atlanta's city proper.

Okay now, I know Texas doesn't have all the cool stuff you just listed Afonega, but what Texas does have is;

Austin:

Houston:

Fort Worth:

San Antonio:

Dallas:

El Paso:

Natural Scenery:

Some More:

My Personal Favorites:

AHHH yes, the history!
I know you don't want to hear it, but you can't just go around telling Georgia's history and expect Texas to not share! It's an open room!!

The history of Texas begins in 1519, when the first European explorers found the region was populated by various Native American tribes. During the period of 1519 to 1848, all or parts of Texas were claimed by six countries: Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the United States of America—as well as the Confederate States of America in 1861-65.

The first European base was established until 1682, when René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle established a French colony, Fort Saint Louis, near Matagorda Bay. The colony was killed off after three years, but its presence motivated Spanish authorities to begin activity. Several missions were established in East Texas; they were abandoned in 1691. Twenty years later, concerned with the French presence in neighboring Louisiana, Spanish authorities again attempted to colonize Texas. Over the next 110 years, Spain established numerous villages, presidios, and missions in the province. A small number of Spanish settlers arrived, in addition to missionaries and soldiers. Spain signed agreements with colonizers from the United States. When Mexico won its independence from Spain in 1821, Mexican Texas was part of the new nation. To encourage settlement, Mexican authorities allowed organized immigration from the United States, and by 1834, over 30,000 Anglos lived in Texas, compared to only 7,800 Mexicans.

Angry at the government in Mexico City, Texans fought and won the Texas Revolution in 1835-36. Texas now became an independent nation, the Republic of Texas. Attracted by the rich cotton lands and ranch lands, tens of thousands of immigrants arrived from the U.S. (bringing slaves) and from Germany as well. In 1845, Texas joined the United States, becoming the 28th state. Determined to protect slavery, Texas declared its secession from the United States in 1861 to join the Confederate States of America. Only a few battles of the American Civil War were fought in Texas; most Texas regiments served in the east. When the war ended the slaves were freed and Texas was subject to Reconstruction, a process that left a residue of bitterness among whites and a second- class status for blacks in a Jim Crow system of segregation.

Cotton and ranching dominated the economy, with railroad construction after 1870 a major factor in the formation of new cities. Toward the end of the 19th century timber became an important industry in Texas as well. In 1901 a petroleum discovery at Spindletop Hill, near Beaumont, created the most productive oil well the world had ever seen. The wave of oil speculation and discovery that followed came to be known as the "Oil Boom", permanently transforming and enriching the economy of Texas. Agriculture and ranching gave way to a service-oriented society after the boom years of World War II. Segregation ended in the 1960s, and instead of a one-party Democratic state, Texas was first highly competitive and (after 2000), solidly Republican. Texas has continued to grow rapidly, becoming the second largest state in population in 1994, and became economically highly diversified, with a growing base in high technology.

If you want, you can brush up on it; it should only take maybe 2-3 hours to read, not too long!

Texas & California were the reasons that the United States went to war with Mexico. It was called the Mexican-American War. Pretty neat, huh? It's cool when two countries go to war for you!! That war completed Manifest Destiny, it expanded the land size of USA by one third, and gave us so much in return.

As you can see, one Texas city (Houston) makes it into the top 5, three Texas cities (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas) make it into the top 10, and five Texas cities (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth) make it into the top 20. More than any other state in the USA.

Metropolitan Areas:

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways, I didn't vote for a favorite state, that's just plain stupid. I like certain things about all of these states. The beaches of Florida, the lush green North Carolina, history of Savannah, Georgia, and home sweet home Texas.

None of these states are better than the other, it comes down to what you like, and why you pick one over the other. I like them all, and I can see myself happily living in any four of them.

I just had to post all the other information because Texas wasn't being judged fairly.

By the way, when I posted the picture and statistics for the stadium UT has, I wasn't trying to say it's "big" I was trying to say it's popular, it's big because so many people go there, it's kind of a tradition. Every game there is like a FIESTA on the streets man. Not trying to say our stadiums are better than yours.

Don't forget the 1968 Worlds Fair that was held in San Antonio haven't had one in Georgia and obviously he's never heard of the battle of the Alamo lol

Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,494,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Don't forget the 1968 Worlds Fair that was held in San Antonio haven't had one in Georgia and obviously he's never heard of the battle of the Alamo lol
Oh shoot!!! I forgot to include pictures of all the Historical places of Texas. Lol, it's a big states, too many topics to cover.

Plus, he says that Atlanta has held the Olympics, many other great American cities haven't done that either, Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, etc.. that does not take away from them being great though!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,780,327 times
Quote:
Oh shoot!!! I forgot to include pictures of all the Historical places of Texas. Lol, it's a big states, too many topics to cover.

Plus, he says that Atlanta has held the Olympics, many other great American cities haven't done that either, Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, etc.. that does not take away from them being great though!
Yeah there are to many lol

Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:

- 65 years and over 9.9%
- Married Persons56.5%
- Single Persons 43.5%
- Median Age 32.3

Ethnicity:
- White 73.1%
- Asian 3.1%
- Other 13.3%

1 Queens, NY
2 Alameda, CA(Oakland)
3 Kings, NY(Brooklyn)
4 Robeson, NC
6 Hudson, NJ
8 Harris, TX
9 Los Angeles, CA
10 Dallas, TX
11 San Francisco, CA
12 Solano, CA
13 Santa Clara, CA
14 Cook, IL
15 Essex, NJ(Newark)
16 San Joaquin, CA
17 Bronx, NY
18 San Mateo, CA
19 San Bernardino, CA
20 Fresno, CA

1) San Francisco (.687)
2) Houston (.676)
3) Los Angeles (.664)
4) Miami (.663)
5) Dallas (.618)
6) Chicago (.605)
7) Washington (.604)
8) Atlanta (.599)
9) New York (.595)
10) Philadelphia (.494)
11) Boston (.346)

Austin:

Houston:

Fort Worth:

San Antonio:

Dallas:

El Paso:

Natural Scenery:

Some More:

My Personal Favorites:

AHHH yes, the history!

Metropolitan Areas:

BRAVO.You guys should read what lead up my post before you get so indignant.You must have missed the post that I lived all over Texas.
So NOTHING you posted is new to me at ALL.

For the record Texas is just nothing special to me.Nothing bad,just there.I can honestly say Texas topography is diverse but other than the areas in the far western part of the state,and the coast.Its just a bunch of blah blah blah.So bland.

The ONLY place I really like in Texas in San Antonio.I see it having tons of potential.As it is today however,its just too small andnot very cosmopolitan.

In all your informative and exhaustive retort to my post,much of it was still about who has MORE or what is bigger.Obviously Texas size afford it things that Georgia will have less.

You went on rambling about having more Olympians,Bigger stadium and more diversity.None of which I stated Georgia was more or less than.So you can save your arguments for another poster.

So I could respond with more knowledge about how Georgia and facts about diversity.The truth is Texas is.It has several big cities which attract more people from further regions for jobs.Thats great.It is what it is.That does not mean Georgia does not have this or that either on some level.

Its like me saying my two hands are better because yours are smaller.Well what if I need those for construction work and you need yours for typing on a computer?BECAUSE its irrelevant when deciding between which one you choose unless you find what you need such as construction materials versus monitor to use your computer skills.WE BOTH HAVE HANDS.

Most of the points I raised had to do with things Texas just does not have.Texas may have been its own country but Texas will never have the things associated with having less history.

America will never have castles like in Europe.They will never have royalty.We will never read about a King of America.

So thank you for informing those who may not know about the great state of Texas,but I for one am just not that excited about old news.I don't mean to sound pompous or arrogant,its just how I feel.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,073,989 times
Quote:
So is New York in the Northeast.You Texas people act like that is like the biggest deal in the world.By your standard Texas is more diverse than any other state because it covers a large area.Most of Texas actually is not drastically different culturally than many other places in America but with the exception of their being so many Mexicans and Central Americans.

Truth is diversity means absolutely NOTHING if there is no equality or fairness in the representation in Government and commerce.
Why are you bringing up diversity??? I think it's more of a fact that Texas will offer more than Georgia due to it's size. I'm not saying Texas offers everything Georgia offer, but it offers more than Georgia. I could see why people would choose Georgia over Texas. I never disputed that, but what I disagree with is how you keep saying Georgia offers just as much as Texas. That is incorrect, regardless if you've been here or not. It's just no possible way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City