Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro area is better?
Dallas-Fort Worth Mertoplex 106 72.60%
Phoenix Merto 40 27.40%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
This is a draw. Both are good emerging cities. Question is who will be bigger later on?
I think DFW will be bigger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 03:23 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I think DFW will be bigger!
Me too. But Phoenix-Mesa is growing like no tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:24 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Me too. But Phoenix-Mesa is growing like no tomorrow.
I know! Why are they growing so fast?

Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
This is a draw. Both are good emerging cities. Question is who will be bigger later on?
Well, considering that this seems to be a comparrison of metro areas, thats not a question. DFW has over 2 million more residents than metro Phoenix. DFW has added more people to its metro than any other in the US since 2000 (1.13 million), however Phoenix is in 3rd place in that catagory with 1.08 million added and thats absolutely astounding too.

But DFW will pretty much always have more people.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:30 PM

37,132 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I think the only major game-changer Phoenix can have for becoming larger than the DFW is if there is some massive innovation in the solar energy industry which would give the southwest a major boon.

As of now, DFW will have more people, more affluent people, a stronger economy, and all the amenities that come with those.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think the only major game-changer Phoenix can have for becoming larger than the DFW is if there is some massive innovation in the solar energy industry which would give the southwest a major boon.

As of now, DFW will have more people, more affluent people, a stronger economy, and all the amenities that come with those.
It would take that, plus DFW adopting Detroits immigration trend for Phoenix to become bigger. Phoenix will continue to boom, but so will DFW. That why I dont think it will ever be bigger.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I believe Joel Kotkin "The Next Hundred Million" is predicting Dallas metro will pass Chicago metro in population by or before 2050. I've also read from another source that Dallas will be gaining a million people every six years..who knows?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I believe Joel Kotkin "The Next Hundred Million" is predicting Dallas metro will pass Chicago metro in population by or before 2050. I've also read from another source that Dallas will be gaining a million people every six years..who knows?
It’s going to be very interesting. Texas is the top location for corporate headquarters looking to relocate. I really feel the way that DFW is set up I don't feel anyone will be able to sustain growth the way DFW has been able too. Think about it? Fort Worth is getting ready to really explode from Downtown Fort Worth up to the alliance corridor. Dallas is getting denser and uptown Dallas is really booming. What I am noticing in DFW is both major cities are upgrading the cores to attract these big corporations back into the inner city. I believe in the future there will be a major separation between DFW the 4th largest metro area and the rest of the pack beneath them.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:36 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

^ True.

The same could be said about the DFW area. If an efficient and affordable natural gas powered vehicle is ever developed. The area around DFW has some of the largest natural gas reserves in the US.

Topic:
This is another apples to oranges comparison.

I voted DFW, I prefer the economy, central location, more lush vegetation and rainier weather.

Phoenix does have a cool New West/ Old West vibe. Also, the desert scenery can be amazing.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Metro Phoenix. I spent some time in the Metroplex this summer. I was surprised at how cosmopolitan it was and how many attractive neighborhoods there were. I loved how active downtown Fort Worth was. However, traffic was unreal all the time, the humidity was too high, the pollution was disgusting, the weather got violent (there was nearly a tornado), the Metroplex is far from anything of interest (Houston or the Gulf of Mexico), and the natural landscape was dull.

Metro Phoenix has much more varied natural scenery, traffic is MUCH more manageable, infrastructure is light years ahead of the Metroplex, the weather is a lot calmer, Phoenix is close to a plethora of points of interest (Grand Canyon, Vegas, Flagstaff, the beaches of Mexico and Southern California, Los Angeles, and San Diego).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City