Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington vs. Oregon
Washington 61 68.54%
Oregon 28 31.46%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:46 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I'm not sure I get your point. Yes, OR attracted many CA residents in the 90's. Again, I'm just saying that many CA residents from the LA area and the Bay Area are attracted to bigger cities, and Seattle fits the bill. Oregon, with its economic problems, may be less attractive in 2010.
My point was just that I'm not sure I agree that what most Californians look for is a big city when they choose a place to move. In my view, Seattle's attractiveness over Portland (and yes I agree that Seattle likely attracts more Californians than Portland does today) has more to do with the better job opportunities in Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 10:52 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
That's reasonable.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
Oh, man... How can I betray my beloved homestate like this... *votes for Washington*

Et tu, Brute?

Oregon has more accessible wild areas and I like the more rugged, independent, and maverick attitude. On the other hand, it doesn't know how to fix its economic problems without compromising its environmental values, and its major city, Portland, has a lot of growing up to do. Everyday I think, "Where are all the grown ups??" It feels very immature.

Washington has grander scenery, but is more developed and tamed overall. The Puget Sound and all the islands and peninsulas and whatnot are fascinating and beautiful. Perhaps Washington is a little more mainstream than Oregon, but it has its act together a bit more and I like that.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
To back drifter: Why do you feel like Portland isnt a grown up city? Why do you say Washington is more mainstream than Oregon? I find there to be plenty of non-mainstream and mainstream people in both states. Actually my first impression of both states was "oh EVERYBODY IS LIBERAL NOBODY IS MAINSTREAM ALL THE PEOPLE LEAD ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLE THE ALTERNATIVE IS MAINSTREAM HERE etc." but I realized there are still plenty of people in both states who arent liberal here, and mainstream as well.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Actually to everyone in this thread, I just realized that Oregon's Eugene and Bend(its next biggest cities after Portland) are economically more dynamic and have much lower crime than Washington's next biggest cities(Tacoma and Yakima). Spokane in Washington though seem on par with Eugene and Bend. And it hurts to say that because I live in Washington, love Seattle and certain areas in Washington, and voted for Washington in this poll=( Washington is one of my top 3 favorite states in the USA but even I have to agree that most of Yakima and Tacoma are dumpy.

I still vote decisively for Washington, but a little bit more hesitantly.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
OREGON! I love the city of Corvallis and the Willamette Valley ... it's a gorgeous state!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:55 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Actually to everyone in this thread, I just realized that Oregon's Eugene and Bend(its next biggest cities after Portland) are economically more dynamic and have much lower crime than Washington's next biggest cities(Tacoma and Yakima). Spokane in Washington though seem on par with Eugene and Bend. And it hurts to say that because I live in Washington, love Seattle and certain areas in Washington, and voted for Washington in this poll=( Washington is one of my top 3 favorite states in the USA but even I have to agree that most of Yakima and Tacoma are dumpy.

I still vote decisively for Washington, but a little bit more hesitantly.
You may be looking at some outdated stats, especially with Bend. Bend has been hit extraordinarily hard in this recession, with unemployment usually two points higher than the rest of the state. Perhaps, a good thing in one sense, bringing high real estate prices back to reality.

Eugene isn't far behind. Also hit hard, but the University is somewhat of a buffer.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:23 PM

593 posts, read 1,761,647 times
Both have excellent small towns and a great "big city" (respectively). Oregon feels more warm and fuzzy somehow, the mountains arent as spiky, the people are a bit more mellow--it almost feels like an extension of Northern (far Northern) California. It also has a much stronger libertarian streak and the state doesnt regulate things nearly as much as Washington (liquor, strip clubs, daycares, etc).

Washington feels a bit more rugged, in terms of the geography and the vibe. Less hippie and more hipster, if that makes sense (although there certainly are hippies). People are still very friendly overall, though, but in a different way. Washington also seems to have a stronger sense of its own distinct identity and has less of that 'California vibe' than Oregon. Also, as I said, the state regulates things a lot more in Washington than Oregon. The distinction between Western and Eastern Washington is very stark, as well. Much moreso than the east/west divide in Oregon. Eastern Washington feels more like Idaho than Seattle.

Overall, both are great and offer tons of natural beauty, amazing getaways, nice walkable towns, and a good big city.

Last edited by AcroJimmy2; 03-22-2010 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Both have excellent small towns and a great "big city" (respectively). Oregon feels more warm and fuzzy somehow, the mountains arent as spiky, the people are a bit more mellow--it almost feels like an extension of Northern (far Northern) California. It also has a much stronger libertarian streak and the state doesnt regulate things nearly as much as Washington (liquor, strip clubs, daycares, etc).

Washington feels a bit more rugged, in terms of the geography and the vibe. Less hippie and more hipster, if that makes sense (although there certainly are hippies). People are still very friendly overall, though, but in a different way. Washington also seems to have a stronger sense of its own distinct identity and has less of that 'California vibe' than Oregon. Also, as I said, the state regulates things a lot more in Washington than Oregon. The distinction between Western and Eastern Washington is very stark, as well. Much moreso than the east/west divide in Oregon. Eastern Washington feels more like Idaho than Seattle.

Overall, both are great and offer tons of natural beauty, amazing getaways, nice walkable towns, and a good big city.
Did you mean that literally? The obvious comparison that comes to mind is Hood vs Rainier, and in that regard, I disagree with you. I think the Mt. Hood's spikiness is what makes it a more attractive mountain than Rainier, because it comes together at the top in a cutting, dramatic point which I think is more spectacular than the rounded-off top of Rainier.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 AM

593 posts, read 1,761,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Did you mean that literally? The obvious comparison that comes to mind is Hood vs Rainier, and in that regard, I disagree with you. I think the Mt. Hood's spikiness is what makes it a more attractive mountain than Rainier, because it comes together at the top in a cutting, dramatic point which I think is more spectacular than the rounded-off top of Rainier.
Yeah, that is true, and I guess what I was trying to say is that generally Oregon has more soft, rolling hills, while Washington has more jagged cliffs and mountains. But regarding Rainier and Hood, you are absolutely correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City