U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Charlotte vs. Orlando
Charlotte 62 49.60%
Orlando 63 50.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,203,480 times
Tell me where to find exclusive stores of Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Dior, Ferragamore, Tory Burch, Chanel etc. in Charlotte. You think everything is the same. All Charlotte has about luxury brands is a small corner with pitiful choices in a department store such as Neiman Marcus, which every decent sized metro actually has. Orlando is in a totally different league. I am not saying that everybody should buy luxury brands. But if you want to talk about shopping, it is usually the high end that sets places apart. Of course every city has Gap and Banana Republic stores. Places with markets large enough to support luxury brands usually can support more less expensive labels too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
All these stores can be found in Charlotte.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-27-2010 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 PM

4,181 posts, read 6,348,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Are you sure?

YouTube - Winter Park FL - Explore Winter Park Florida online at www.explorewinterparkflorida.com

Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 AM

13,155 posts, read 12,256,264 times
Southpark Mall in South Charlotte is VERY high-end.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:51 AM

8,190 posts, read 5,726,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Are you crazy? Tell me where to find exclusive stores of Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Dior, Ferragamore, Tory Burch, Chanel etc. in Charlotte. You apparently know nothing about shopping and think everything is the same. All Charlotte has about luxury brands is a small corner with pitiful choices in a department store such as Neiman Marcus, which every decent sized metro actually has. Orlando is in a totally different league. I am not saying that everybody should buy luxury brands. But if you want to talk about shopping, it is usually the high end that sets places apart. Of course every city has Gap and Banana Republic stores. Places with markets large enough to support luxury brands usually can support more less expensive labels too.
Orlando can support those stores due to its huge tourist industry. Charlotte doesn't have anywhere as large as a tourist sector, which is why those stores aren't here. If it were just based on discretionary income of the local population, Charlotte would edge out Orlando in this category, but that's not how these sorts of things are configured.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:30 AM

7,875 posts, read 6,654,084 times
My natural instinct told me Charlotte.Then I thought about it.Orlando has more diversity,Better nightlife and shopping.Orlando also has better access to larger cities and the coast.Better weather is always a plus.Charlotte has better infrastructure,jobs and looks better.I decided to go with Orlando begrudgingly.For a younger single person like myself I think its a better fit.If I were married or wanted more middle of the road id pick Charlotte.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:35 AM

Charlotte overall has the slightly better economy, but as far as unemployment, and having trouble FINDING employment there about the same.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 AM

4,181 posts, read 6,348,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Southpark Mall in South Charlotte is VERY high-end.
But it doesn't come close to the mall at Millenia. First of all the south park mall is very old, opened in 1970 as a regular mall with very boring architecture, it is 100,000 sq ft smaller than the mall at millenia in GLA space and its only 1 story. Its so old that part of the parking garage collapsed in 2007, and it didn't get luxury stores until recently. The mall at mellinia opened in 2002 The mall was designed by JPRA Architects and features award-winning lighting by Paul Gregory, glass elevators, fountains, and LED lights. The mall at millenia has a trade mark name, "Millenia" is intensionally spelt with two L's so it can be unique. The South Park mall is the name of many other malls across the country.

The South park mall has less luxury stores, and a smaller GLA. The mall at Millenia has valet parking, and much better restaurants, none of the restaurants in the south park mall come close to the blue martini. The mall at millenia is owned by the forbes company, the south park mall is owned by simon malls

YouTube - The Millenia Mall - Flórida - EUA

Last edited by GLS2010; 03-27-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
But it doesn't come close to the mall at Millenia. First of all the south park mall is very old, opened in 1970 as a regular mall with very boring architecture, it is 100,000 sq ft smaller than the mall at millenia and its only 1 story. Its so old that part of the parking garage collapsed in 2007, and it didn't get luxury stores until recently. The mall at mellinia opened in 2002 The mall was designed by JPRA Architects and features award-winning lighting by Paul Gregory, glass elevators, fountains, and LED lights. The mall at millenia has a trade mark name, "Millenia" is intensionally spelt with two L's so it can be unique. The South Park mall is the name of many other malls across the country.

The South park mall is smaller, and it has less luxury stores. The mall at Millenia has valet parking, and much better restaurants, none of the restaurants in the south park mall come close to the blue martini. The mall at millenia is owned by the forbes company, the south park mall is owned by simon malls

YouTube - The Millenia Mall - Flórida - EUA
Ok, Ok, jeez. I've been to BOTH Southpark and Mall Of Millenia, I already knew about everything you just said. I was just saying Southpark is pretty upscale, and Charlotte doesn't get enough credit. Millenia is on a WHOLE nother level though. I was amazed by it, and I'm normally not amazed by malls. But Southpark is amazing also.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 AM

5,974 posts, read 3,061,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
The orlando premium outlet is the nation's third best outlet in terms of high end/luxury brands.
LOL, only in Orlando would someone brag about outlet stores. You guys need to get out more.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 AM

5,974 posts, read 3,061,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The mall at Millenia has valet parking, and much better restaurants, none of the restaurants in the south park mall come close to the blue martini.
Are you seriously bragging about chain restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City