Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte vs. Orlando
Charlotte 66 50.77%
Orlando 64 49.23%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:02 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Disney is the largest single employer in the Nation so of course is going to be the largest single employer in Orlando.
Actually the largest private employer in the nation is Walmart (over 1 million employees) which is based in Bentonville, Arkansas. However Disney is the largest employer in Orlando by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,653,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Actually the largest private employer in the nation is Walmart (over 1 million employees) which is based in Bentonville, Arkansas. However Disney is the largest employer in Orlando by far.
No Disney is the largest SINGLE employer in the nation. Walmart is a chain store with locations all over the world. Disney employs more people in ONE location than any other employer in the US, thats a fact. So its obviously the largest single employer in Orlando.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
No Disney is the largest SINGLE employer in the nation. It employs the more people in ONE location than any other employer in the US, thats a fact. Walmart is a chain store with locations all over the world.
Yea because it employs the whole city of Orlando, lol.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:13 PM

That doesn't mean Orlando is only made up of Disney jobs. There are many other types of jobs in metro Orlando

Old 03-21-2010, 06:19 PM

Wikipedia:

"Metro Orlando has a rapidly growing $13.4 billion technology industry employing 53,000 people, and is a nationally recognized cluster of innovation in digital media, agritechnology, aviation, aerospace, and software. More than 150 international companies, representing approximately 20 countries, have facilities in Metro Orlando.

Metro Orlando has the 7th largest research park in the country Central Florida Research Park with over 1,025 acres. It is home to over 120 companies, employs more than 8,500 people, and is the hub of the nation’s military simulation and training programs. Metro Orlando is home to the simulation procurement commands for the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard.

Orlando is a major industrial and hi-tech center. Lockheed-Martin has a large manufacturing facility for missile systems, aeronautical craft and related high tech research. Other notable engineering firms have offices or labs in Metro Orlando: KDF, General Dynamics, Harris, Mitsubishi Power Systems, Siemens, Veritas/Seagate, multiple USAF facilities, Naval Air Warfare Center Training Systems Division (NAWCTSD), Delta Connection Academy, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, GE, Air Force Agency for Modeling and Simulation (AFAMS), U.S. Army Program Executive Office for Simulation, Training, and Instrumentation (PEO STRI), United States Army Research, Development and Engineering Command United States Army Simulation and Training Technology Center (STTC), AT&T, Boeing, CAE Systems Flight & Simulation Training, HP, Institute for Simulation and Training, National Center for Simulation, Northrop Grumman, and Raytheon Systems. The Naval Training Center until a few years ago was one of the two places where nuclear engineers were trained for the US Navy. Now the land has been converted into the Baldwin Park development. Orlando is close enough to Patrick Air Force Base, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, and Kennedy Space Center for residents to commute to work from the city's suburbs. It also allows easy access to Port Canaveral, an important cruise shipterminal.

Another developing sector is the film, television, and electronic gaming industries, aided by the presence of Universal Studios, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Full Sail School, the Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy, and other entertainment companies and schools. Numerous office complexes for large corporations have popped up along the Interstate 4 corridor north of Orlando, especially in Maitland, Lake Mary and Heathrow. The U.S. modeling, simulation, and training (MS&T) industry is centered around the Orlando region as well, with a particularly strong presence in the Central Florida Research Park adjacent to UCF. Nearby Maitland is the home of Tiburon, a division of the video game company Electronic Arts. Originally Tiburon Entertainment, it was acquired by EA in 1998 after years of partnership, particularly in the famous Madden NFL series and NCAA Football series of video games.

Orlando is the home base of Darden Restaurants, the parent company of Red Lobster and Olive Garden and the largest operator of restaurants in the world by revenue. In September 2009 they moved to a new headquarters and central distribution facility.

Orlando has two non-profit hospital systems: Orlando Health and Florida Hospital. Orlando Health's Orlando Regional Medical Center is home to Central Florida's only Level I trauma center, and Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women and Babies and Florida Hospital Orlando have the area's only Level III neonatal intensive care units. Florida Hospital's main campus is ranked as one of the best hospitals in the nation, and has a renowned brain attack facility.[citation needed] Orlando's medical leadership will be further advanced with the completion of UCF's College of Medicine and a new VA Hospital, both of which will be located in a new medical district in the Lake Nona area of the city.

The convention industry is also critical to the region's economy. The Orange County Convention Center, expanded in 2004 to over two million square feet (200,000 m²) of exhibition space, is now the second-largest convention complex in terms of space in the United States, trailing only McCormick Place in Chicago. The city vies with Chicago and Las Vegas for hosting the most convention attendees in the United States."

Old 03-21-2010, 06:27 PM

"Walt Disney World, for example, remains by far the biggest employer in the six-county area, with 62,200 full- and part-time employees, up 12 percent from 1999. And tourism-service companies still dominate the top ranks of the annual list."

Disney tops Central Florida's biggest employers - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
"Walt Disney World, for example, remains by far the biggest employer in the six-county area, with 62,200 full- and part-time employees, up 12 percent from 1999. And tourism-service companies still dominate the top ranks of the annual list."

Disney tops Central Florida's biggest employers - OrlandoSentinel.com
No sh** its the largest employer in Orlando, how many times do i have to tell you this, it is the largest single site employer in the United States of America.

Wikipedia:

"When the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, the site employed about 5,500 "cast members". Today it employs more than 66,000, spending more than $1.2 billion on payroll and $474 million on benefits each year. The largest single-site employer in the United States, Walt Disney World Resort has more than 3,700 job classifications."

That doesn't mean its the only employer in Orlando, look at my post above and you will see that.

Plus there is a lot of family owned/ small businesses in central FL which gives good incomes to a lot of people.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,829,546 times
It's funny. I live in Charlotte, and have family in Orlando. The unemployment issues here are just as bad if not worse then Orlando. My aunt down there is constantly telling me about how everyone in her family is finding jobs easily(and none of them work at any themepark) and that I should move down there. As far as economy goes, Charlotte has the better economy. But as far as employment, Charlotte doesn't seem any better.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:30 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,845,368 times
[quote=GLS2010;13388245]Jobs are scarce everywhere, but good jobs do exist in Orlando. Because the unemployment rate in Orlando is a few percentage points higher than what it is in Charlotte doesn't mean Orlando is so much worse than Charlotte to live a good life. I didnt look up CLT's unemployment rate, so I cant comment. But in the banking and finance sector, they are 2nd to only NYC. Orlando has more tourism jobs than CLT, but otherwise, I cant think of any one particular career that one would do better in Orlando than CLT. My parents have good jobs, a lot of people have good jobs here and there are a lot of nice areas to raise kids in. btw recreational options are factors for determining quality of life.

Charlotte has good entertainment, dinning and shopping too, Orlando's is just better. Dining and shopping doesnt mean much to me, so I cant comment on that one. I highly doubt that ORL has any restaurants or stores that CLT does not have. And good jobs do exist in Orlando along with nice areas to raise families, there is just more opportunity in Charlotte at the time. It just depends on what you want. Not everyone is moving to a city to start a family.

But if I already had a job lined up, I would pick Orlando because many communities exist in metro Orlando with good schools and low crime to raise families, then you have all the recreational options that comes with living in Orlando.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:33 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,845,368 times
Quote:
Wow you're right, I didn't know that. Orlando's is at 12.4. Looks like more people are jobless in Charlotte than in Orlando.

There's a big reason why CLT's unemployment is high. Think 'Wall St.' and what I said in my earlier post about CLT's banking/finance sector only 2nd to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City