Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte vs. Orlando
Charlotte 66 50.77%
Orlando 64 49.23%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times

Advertisements

Which city is better? Which offers more nightlife, shopping, things to do (for residents) etc? I know Orlando has Disney but I am talking about things for everyday people who live there. How do the economies compare? Where would you rather live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:55 PM

174 posts, read 403,675 times
I WAS given the choice....I chose Charlotte. NC's natural beauty and physical diversity is hard to beat.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
I can't really compare the nightlife and things to do for the locals (even though I'd guess that Orlando might have a better nightlife), but even though both are hurting right now economically, I think Orlando is hurting a little more than Charlotte is right now if nothing but for the fact that it's in Florida.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:43 AM

44 posts, read 49,961 times
I give Orlando the edge in shopping ( blows Charlotte out the water) I give them the edge in nightlife too. I give Charlotte the edge in economy.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:43 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,474 times
Charlotte is a more traditional city with a more diversified economy.
It would also suit you better if you like four seasons and scenery.

Orlando is better in most other categories IMO. I think it is better pertaining to nightlife, dining, entertainment. Being close to other major cities and beaches, worldwide attractions, etc all help it out. I gave Orlando my vote. I know a whole slough of people who moved to Charlotte and hated it as well, most have moved back so it also has never appealed to me too much. It is Bible belt and Nascar disguised as a city.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:06 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,035 times
For nightlife, entertainment, shopping, dinning, etc I think Orlando is better. As far as the economy goes, charlotte is better but Orlando's economy has diversified greatly these passed few decades and is diversifying more and more every day, esp in the high tech and medical industries, orlando's future looks bright. Charlotte has natural physical beauty, while Orlando is mainly flat, but has a lot of man made beauty, like nice land scaping, well kept roads and buildings. Charlotte is more of a traditional city though.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,074 times
In terms of economy and QOL, the edge goes to Charlotte. In terms of nightlife, entertainment, shopping, etc., Orlando, hands down.

When I lived in Tampa Bay and I needed a change of pace, believe it or not, I'd go right up the road to Orlando. It's a smaller metropolitan area than Tampa Bay, but the pace was much faster (to me) in many ways. With all the tourist attractions there, it tends to attract people from all over the world, and felt a lot more cosmopolitan than Tampa as a result. The amenities in terms of shopping, dining and nightlife were very good for a metro area of Orlando's size due to all of the tourist traffic there. Mall at Millennia and Florida Mall both packed a retail punch.

Charlotte has transplants from all over, but its amenities are what you'd expect for a metro area of its size. They have grown according to the population.

However, if I were looking to settle down, marry and have a family, Charlotte hands down. If I were young and single, Orlando

Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,971,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Charlotte is a more traditional city with a more diversified economy.
It would also suit you better if you like four seasons and scenery.

Orlando is better in most other categories IMO. I think it is better pertaining to nightlife, dining, entertainment. Being close to other major cities and beaches, worldwide attractions, etc all help it out. I gave Orlando my vote. I know a whole slough of people who moved to Charlotte and hated it as well, most have moved back so it also has never appealed to me too much. It is Bible belt and Nascar disguised as a city.
Are you basing your opinions on personal experiences or what others have said about Charlotte? Judging by your post, that's what it seems like to me, that you are going by what others are saying rather than you spending enough time in Charlotte for yourself. I can't speak for Orlando. I've only visited Disneyworld as a kid, so other than that, I don't know anything else about Orlando, except the Magic NBA team. I think Charlotte is a wonderful city in its own right and is progressing everyday, and I don't feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of Bible thumpers when I'm in Charlotte, either! To me, I feel that people who hate Charlotte always want to make that generalization. Furthermore, Charlotte's entertainment may not be up to par with with Orlando or any other city in Florida, but I think it is getting better. Every time I'm in Charlotte, people are always passing out flyers talking about some new nightclub opening up, so that tells me that the nightlife must be improving. I'm not into shopping, so i'm not an authority on that, that may still be a work in progress, though! Furthermore, I'm not saying that Charlotte's singles scene is anywhere on par with Orlando or any other city, the fact of the matter is, North Carolina is still all about family and church and what have you, but I do think that Charlotte has a decent nightlife scene, go uptown on any Friday or Saturday night and you will notice that!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,051 times
Charlotte

Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Are you basing your opinions on personal experiences or what others have said about Charlotte? Judging by your post, that's what it seems like to me, that you are going by what others are saying rather than you spending enough time in Charlotte for yourself. I can't speak for Orlando. I've only visited Disneyworld as a kid, so other than that, I don't know anything else about Orlando, except the Magic NBA team. I think Charlotte is a wonderful city in its own right and is progressing everyday, and I don't feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of Bible thumpers when I'm in Charlotte, either! To me, I feel that people who hate Charlotte always want to make that generalization. Furthermore, Charlotte's entertainment may not be up to par with with Orlando or any other city in Florida, but I think it is getting better. Every time I'm in Charlotte, people are always passing out flyers talking about some new nightclub opening up, so that tells me that the nightlife must be improving. I'm not into shopping, so i'm not an authority on that, that may still be a work in progress, though! Furthermore, I'm not saying that Charlotte's singles scene is anywhere on par with Orlando or any other city, the fact of the matter is, North Carolina is still all about family and church and what have you, but I do think that Charlotte has a decent nightlife scene, go uptown on any Friday or Saturday night and you will notice that!
I have been to Charlotte myself and because I do not like a lot of places that others like, I also felt it appropriate to point out that several people I know are not too fond of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City