U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:59 PM

999 posts, read 1,368,001 times
Default Best medium sized cities?

What would you suggest as a good medium sized city to live in? By medium sized, my definition is between 200,000-600,000, roughly. That can include the metro area but I don't want an area where the city itself is half a mill and another mill live in the suburbs. I've heard good things about Colorado Springs, and Madison, Wisconsin. I'm looking for an area that's not too big or too small. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM

113 posts, read 137,682 times
Good ones, how about San Antonio Texas

Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 PM

6,234 posts, read 3,447,794 times
You already mentioned Colorado Springs, so look no further. It is right in the size range you are looking for and has awesome scenery. It is literally nestled up next to the Rockies, with Pike's Peak dominating the city scape. Then you've got the Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, Cave of the Winds, and several other natural attractions. If natural setting is your thing, Colorado Springs is tough to beat.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 PM

I am showing San Antonion metro at just under 2 mill. I am not opposed to a big city, I just like less traffic and find most of the things I want/need can be found in the medium sized ones. I live in wichita, Kansas now. I like the size of the city but I have a job that I can live in almost any city of significant size.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:22 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,643,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
What would you suggest as a good medium sized city to live in? By medium sized, my definition is between 200,000-600,000, roughly. That can include the metro area but I don't want an area where the city itself is half a mill and another mill live in the suburbs. I've heard good things about Colorado Springs, and Madison, Wisconsin. I'm looking for an area that's not too big or too small. Any suggestions?
Try Lexington, Kentucky.

Famous for not being famous but still being one of the most educated, clean, and cultured cities of its size.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Try Lexington, Kentucky.

Famous for not being famous but still being one of the most educated, clean, and cultured cities of its size.
Ooh, good one!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:32 PM

IMO, a good college town of about 300,000 has as much more to do than a city of twice it's size. College towns can be great if you love sports.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:35 PM

You're right about college towns. You may look at Lincoln, NE for that. It's in your size range and is a huge college sports draw with the Huskers.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:41 PM

29,062 posts, read 33,003,808 times
Syracuse NY....Is big enough to say busy and interested, but also is in a great location to check out other areas like NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Washington DC, Baltimore and Pittsburgh, among others. All are within 5-6 hours, if not less and you also have the aspect of nature being close by. For instance, the Adirondacks are only an hour and a half away. It's only about 20 minutes from the first Finger Lake and the 1000 Islands are only an hour and a half away. There are plenty of parks and good schools in the area. There are many colleges and universities in the CNY region too.

Then, you have Syracuse University sports, an AHL Hockey team and an International League Baseball team.

There's an professional theatre venue, an opera, a symphony and plenty of live music.

We have festivals of various kinds from cultural festivals, Taste of Syracuse and Winterfest, among others.

There are around 750,000 in the metro and about 140,000 in the city of Syracuse. It's also more affordable that people would think, eventhough it is in NY State too.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:46 PM

719 posts, read 1,121,966 times
Boise, Idaho is one of the finest medium sized cities and falls into your population category. There is more going on here than in many larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City