Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen Miami or New York on the freeway, but I can speak for Chicago, where I personally feel that even the police expect you to drive 15-20 mph over the speed limit. I drive pretty fast and usually few people pass me, but in Chicago I may be going 70-75 in a 55 zone and I am being passed on the right and left by 50% of the other drivers on the road, and those drivers can range from young guys like me, old fogers easily in their 80's, small sedans, big trucks, even semi trucks, nice cars (Beamers esp!), and piles of crap that seem like they are about to explode!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 03:28 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,464 times
Chicago

Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 AM

215 posts, read 474,729 times
Of the cities I've experience driving in here is my take.

New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

NYC: They just drive insane and with no regard for anyone on the city streets. Some parts of the metro outside the city isn't too stressful. Like areas I remember driving in Westchester County around Ossining, and White Plains. Long Island out by Islip didn't seem to bad either.

Chicago: They drive fast on the expressways, but not as fast or crazy as LA drivers on the freeways, but they come close. On city streets, I find they drive the craziest on the south side, everyone is in a hurry. Downtown traffic can be heavy in certain parts, but not too stressful. The north side can be the most stressful with its narrow streets, and commercial trucks double parking in the right lane. Although from my experience living on the north side they are less aggressive in their driving habits on the city streets. Also as you get into the suburbs, they driving isn't so bad, although traffic is quite heavy, especially in the western, and northwestern burbs.

Los Angeles: City streets can be very heavy, especially the west side of the city, downtown, south LA, and the southern sections of the San Fernando Valley. Even the commercial corridors of Boyle Heights/East LA can be quite bad, and areas such as Maywood, Bell, South Gate is down right nasty.

Although most drivers are tame compared to city streets in New York, and Chicago's south side. Los Angeles drivers make it up in craziness is when they enter the freeways. You will notice it as soon as they hit the ramp, everything changes. No rules apply as if this is a free pass to be rude, it becomes every man for himself.

I remember this forumer on another web site discussing this about his visit to LA from Philly the first time. He noticed the same thing about LA freeways.

Honorable mentions: Philly, San Jose (freeways only) San Diego (north county only, as you get closer to LA metro)

Someone mentioned San Francisco Bay being more aggressive than LA drivers. Not in my experience, and I visit quite often since I have lots of family in the area. Personally I think the traffic is just as bad if not worse than LA, but drivers are less agressive, and a lot more considerate. At least they let you change lanes up there without it turning into a battle like it is in LA.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
People in LA drive fast on the freeways, but are extremely slow on city streets. Everyone says that Bay Area drivers are slower than their LA counterparts, but my experience has been the direct opposite. The drivers up here are insane! - then again, I do live in Oakland...
I think the Bay Area has slower drivers than SoCal-but they are also ruder up north. 880 is packed full of strange drivers. LOL

LA, despite its horrendous traffic, has really well-mannered drivers imo-they really know what theyre doing.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:18 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
It's expected you drive at least 10 mph over the speed limit here.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 AM

215 posts, read 474,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LA, despite its horrendous traffic, has really well-mannered drivers imo-they really know what theyre doing.
I agree they know what they're doing, but well mannered? Then again compared to NYC drivers, I guess they would be true.

On the freeways, it's get the hell out of my way, I'm on a mission to get somewhere by a certain time, and I'm late. Angelenos are notorious for using the excuse of traffic was bad, therefore thats why I'm late. Ever seen a Lakers game on tv at the Staples. We always come late to things, and then blame it on the traffic. We can do that and get away with it most times. (lol)

Old 05-02-2010, 10:18 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think the Bay Area has slower drivers than SoCal-but they are also ruder up north. 880 is packed full of strange drivers. LOL

Oh totally! My family now lives in San Francisco and we joke that people there all must be high because they drive so cautiously on the freeways!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
For the south from my opinion I would say..
Atlanta: very fast on interstates, but not aggressive.
Birmingham, AL: extremely fast or extremely slow depending on the time of day.
Dallas: fast and aggressive on expressways, tame on streets.
Houston: tame on freeways, fast on streets.
Jackson, MS: how ever an individual feels like driving. (ie. car doing 10 in far left, another doing 80 far right.)
Miami: fast and aggressive, period.
New Orleans: fast and rude on freeway, aggressive but courteous on street.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:29 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
The Mid-Atlantic in general, even in the more rural areas.

The Speed Limit is nothing but a sign unless you see cops on the side of the highway, but even still people get away with 70+ on 55 mph highways.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:55 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,466 times
On the freeways and interstates, I'd say Chicago. But on the city streets and arterial roads, I am inclined to choose my current city of residence: Rockford, Illinois. Most main city roads have 45mph 'speed suggestions' (if I said 'speed limits' I'd be lying LOL). I usually get passed by countless vehicles even when I'm going 50mph (keep in mind, this is in-town driving). Also, US Route 20 on the east side of town, which has side street, factory access road, and at-grade railroad crossings, has a speed limit of 65mph for some odd reason. Anywhere else in the country, the limit would be 55mph. And don't get me started on the innefficient timing/sensored traffic lights. Ugh.

LOL Rant over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City