U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:14 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,807,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Never heard of Atlanta being a pioneer of southern rap. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate.
I would call Atlanta a pioneer of the earlier stages of southern rap. But lyrically, Houston is the city that was at the forefront. UGK and the Geto Boys are seen as the forefathers of the genre, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a southern rapper who would say otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 PM

1,823 posts, read 1,573,364 times
I remember some old school rappers from Texas... LOL!

Remember Ron C? Or Nemesis?

Back when Atlantans used to listen to Ron C, Nemesis, Kid Sensation (From Seattle), B.O.S.E., Too Short (Oakland), Kilo Ali, DJ Kizzy Rock, MC Shy D, Baby D (the OLD Baby D & not the one from JJ Fad), etc...

Old 10-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Never heard of Atlanta being a pioneer of southern rap. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate.
Oh, yeah there were some rappers from Atlanta back in the 80s. I'm trying to remember the name of this 3 man rap group from Atlanta right now. They came out back in like 86. Now, I'm not claiming that they were nice, but they were there...

I remember listening to a MC Shy D in the 80s. I remember Baby D from the Late 80s. I can't even find his stuff on Youtube now, but when I DO find something, I'll tell you where to find him.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:52 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,794,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I would call Atlanta a pioneer of the earlier stages of southern rap. But lyrically, Houston is the city that was at the forefront. UGK and the Geto Boys are seen as the forefathers of the genre, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a southern rapper who would say otherwise.
Just seemed he was trying to say Atlanta was on the scene before Houston was. It's pretty much known Houston is what put the south on the map.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Just seemed he was trying to say Atlanta was on the scene before Houston was. It's pretty much known Houston is what put the south on the map.
"Before?" Nobody ever said anything about "before..."
What I'm saying is, don't try to push Atlanta's involvement backwards a decade. Atlanta was there in the 80s.

Anyone would agree that Houston was on the scene 1st, but Atlanta ultimately made a larger footprint.
Only thing is, the old Houston rappers that I remember, they carried a very West-coast influenced style. It wasn't until Ghetto Boys til they started getting their own voice... Then UGK & Outkast came next...

OLD OLD rappers like Nemesis & Ron C sounded like they could've been straight from Oakland... And OLD OLD Atlanta rappers were usually mistaken for being from either Miami or somewhere out west. Atlanta had a specific sound, but it was whack...

Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 PM

2,251 posts, read 1,907,948 times
Quote:
Houston and Miami were first to get a Artists mainstream but that doesn't mean Atlanta was absent underground.

Underground artists Raheem The Dream, Splack Pack, MC Shy-D, A-Town Players, Hitman Sammy Sam, Kilo All of which started with with mix tapes in the late 80s or early 90s. You may not recognized their names but chances are you probably heard at least one song by all them. Organized Noize and The Dungeon Family form in the late 80s.

Dungeon Family PART ONE (pg. 2) | VIBE

I don't know know why Da brat is listed but everything else is right.
Atlanta's top 30 list of old-school rap songs | Atlanta Music Blog

CB A-Town Rap & Bass 1985-1992

MTVNews.com: My Block: Atlanta

Old 10-22-2011, 12:47 AM

3,560 posts, read 4,544,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I also don't find I-20 or Young Jeezy (though improved) to be that lyrical either. Young Dro at times is as well.
Young Jeezy is decent IMO. His last album The Recession was good. Skill wise he's no Immortal Technique or even Jay Z but he's good at what he does.

Young Dro is decent too.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:50 AM

8,937 posts, read 5,807,109 times
Jeezy doesn't rap. He talks. I still listen to his stuff, though.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Jeezy doesn't rap. He talks. I still listen to his stuff, though.
LOL!!!
That's still my dude!

Old 10-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Houston and Miami were first to get a Artists mainstream but that doesn't mean Atlanta was absent underground.

Underground artists Raheem The Dream, Splack Pack, MC Shy-D, A-Town Players, Hitman Sammy Sam, Kilo All
I think I strayed from my original point because other thoughts popped up and took over. But that (in bold) was my original point. Thanks, you said it best...
This is exactly why my lyrics (when I was young rapping) were whack, but I could destroy people freestyling.

And WOW!!! You went WAAAAAY Back!
I remember Hitman Sammy Sam was like already a decade into rap by the mid 90s. He was already an old rapper by the mid 90s!!! LOL!!! He must be like 50 something now! LOL! No, really how old is he now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City