Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times

Advertisements

I not here to argue and everyone has there opinion but to me How ever you slice it Atlanta has plenty great lyrical artist, and Atlanta has one the highest number of lyrical rappers. I'm going to just stop at 20 but there plenty of more anyways,

André 3000
Big Bio
Cee-Lo Green
Khujo
T-Mo
Big Gipp
Cool Breeze
Jody Breeze
Bubba Sparxxx
Stat guo
Laducris
I-20
2 chainz
TI
Young Dro
BOB
Young Jeezy
Pill
cyhi da prince
Donnis

Pill - "Surroundings" [Freestyle] - YouTube

Prynce "Hard Way" Music Video - YouTube

Donnis - Tonight [Official Music Video] - YouTube

I notice people have the tendency to ignore the amount of lyrical rappers and some how brand Atlanta hiphop culture after......

Gucci mane
Wakaflocka
Lil John
Unk
Fabo
Soulja boy
Shawty lo
and etc.

Atlanta has so many different type of artists that are in different lanes it's not even funny and some people like Gucci mane and etc. My point is even with all the non lyrical Waka flocka, Gucci Mane type rappers out of Atlanta, Atlanta still has a impressive number of lyricists.

-----------------

I wish I can speak more for Dallas but I can't. All the lyrical rappers I can think of from Dallas are too underground or old school. One of these days a underground Dallas rapper who's sick of the scene is going to pop up. And where's Funkytown at? The few Dallas rappers that go mainstream don't show Fort Worth luv as if they're not the same metro.

Last edited by chiatldal; 10-17-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Half of those aren't even the best Atlanta has to offer in terms of lyricism. Not even close.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I not here to argue and everyone has there opinion but to me How ever you slice it Atlanta has plenty great lyrical artist, and Atlanta has one the highest number of lyrical rappers. I'm going to just stop at 20 but there plenty of more anyways,

I notice people have the tendency to ignore the amount of lyrical rappers and some how brand Atlanta hiphop culture after......

Atlanta has so many different type of artists that are in different lanes it's not even funny and some people like Gucci mane and etc. My point is even with all the non lyrical Waka flocka, Gucci Mane type rappers out of Atlanta, Atlanta still has a impressive number of lyricists.
YOU SAID IT BEST!!!!!!

GREAT points that most people TRY to conveniently ignore (usually because I get the impression that people just hate to give credit to Atlanta specifically when/where credit is due... They have SUCH a hard time with that...)!!!

I agree 150%!

And you didn't even go to the HUNDREDS apon HUNDREDS of underground artists in the Atlanta area... i.e: Arablak, Dash, ADD, Sugar Tongue Slim (STS), Atmos, BackRoots, etc...

Atlanta runs DEEP in hip hop and people actually TRY to deny that.

Atlanta has SO MANY different (not even comparable) sub cultures of hip hop in the city that people outside just don't seem to understand.

Atlanta has so many different scenes...

Roots Rap scene (ie: Arablak, Dash, Backroots)
Backpack scene (ie: STS, Statquo, 4eyez,)
Crunk Music scene (ie: Lil John & Eastside Boyz, Miracle,
Snap Music scene (ie. Dem Franchise Boyz, D4L, DJ Unk)
Trap Music scene (ie. T.I., Young Dro, Big Country)
Booty Shake scene (ie: Corina, K.P. & Envy, DJ Smurf)
Tick music scene (ie: Kilo Ali, D-Roc, Kizzy Roc)
Dungeon Music scene (ie: Witchdoctor, Killa Mike, Goodie Mob)
Lac Music scene (ie: Youngbloodz, Jim Crow, PA, Jazzy Pha)
????? scene (ie: Wakka Flocka, OJ da Juice Man, Soulja Boy)
Outkast (in a league of their own)
????? scene (ie: Ludacris, Young Joc, etc...)

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 10-20-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 11:50 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

André 3000
Big Bio
Cee-Lo Green
Khujo
T-Mo
Big Gipp
Cool Breeze
Jody Breeze
Bubba Sparxxx
Stat guo
Laducris
I-20
2 chainz
TI
Young Dro
BOB
Young Jeezy
Pill
cyhi da prince
Donnis

Pill - "Surroundings" [Freestyle] - YouTube

Prynce "Hard Way" Music Video - YouTube

Donnis - Tonight [Official Music Video] - YouTube

Gucci mane
Wakaflocka
Lil John
Unk
Fabo
Soulja boy
Shawty lo
and etc.

-----------------

I wish I can speak more for Dallas but I can't. All the lyrical rappers I can think of from Dallas are too underground or old school. One of these days a underground Dallas rapper who's sick of the scene is going to pop up. And where's Funkytown at? The few Dallas rappers that go mainstream don't show Fort Worth luv as if they're not the same metro.
2chainz = lyrical lmao. I'd at least replace them with Alley Boi. He's lyrical at times

Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Houston is the primary hip-hop capital of Texas, and Dallas knows that, but that doesn't mean they don't have their own thing going on.
Houston has been on the Hip Hop map since the late 80's.

With that said, Dallas always had the better Electronic & Alternative scene.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:59 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
2chainz = lyrical lmao. I'd at least replace them with Alley Boi. He's lyrical at times
I also don't find I-20 or Young Jeezy (though improved) to be that lyrical either. Young Dro at times is as well.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:46 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I also don't find I-20 or Young Jeezy (though improved) to be that lyrical either. Young Dro at times is as well.
I put Artists at some level mediocre lyricist I wasn't trying to created a super list but just getting the point across. I-20 and Young Dro are lyrical you can tell they put some thought in their verse it's not like Gucci mane I put it like that, Young Jeezy on some songs he is, and I feel he improve but diffidently a weak link, 2Chainz freestyle or pre-writte all his verse in his head I gave him points for that.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has been on the Hip Hop map since the late 80's.
Actually, so has Atlanta... Since the mid 80s...

Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Actually, so has Atlanta... Since the mid 80s...
Never heard of Atlanta being a pioneer of southern rap. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
YOU SAID IT BEST!!!!!!

GREAT points that most people TRY to conveniently ignore (usually because I get the impression that people just hate to give credit to Atlanta specifically when/where credit is due... They have SUCH a hard time with that...)!!!

I agree 150%!

And you didn't even go to the HUNDREDS apon HUNDREDS of underground artists in the Atlanta area... i.e: Arablak, Dash, ADD, Sugar Tongue Slim (STS), Atmos, BackRoots, etc...

Atlanta runs DEEP in hip hop and people actually TRY to deny that.

Atlanta has SO MANY different (not even comparable) sub cultures of hip hop in the city that people outside just don't seem to understand.
But to be honest, sometimes it seems like Atlantans just enjoy playing the victim. "Everyone's picking on us and no one gives us credit for anything".

Chiatldal went on this tangent about no one acknowledging Atlanta's hip hop scene, and didn't see anyone make a negative comment about it, atleast not since I resurrected the thread.

Honestly, nowadays, what major "black" city doesn't have a respectable underground rap community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City