U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:16 PM

8,590 posts, read 7,325,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It was built for the NHL or NBA. KC is always one of the first cities that comes up when an NHL or NBA team gets into trouble, but so far, KC has only been able to help other cities keep their teams . Penguins etc. Plenty of rumors out there with the Sac Kings (used to be in KC), Detroit Pistons, NY Islanders, Phoenix Coyotes, Nashville Preds etc plus any expansion team talk. But who knows when or if KC will get a team. With 2.6 million people within sixty miles of downtown KC, the region should be able to support at least one major league winter sport.

For now, it's one of the top concert venues in the nation, plus KC hosts quite a few major NCAA events.
Kansas City is overloaded with sports teams. I think it'll be a while before it gets another professional sports team. Maybe if it was completely isolated like Denver, but it isn't. St. Louis isn't even that far away, and they don't even have an NBA or NHL team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:53 PM

140 posts, read 126,981 times
I nominated Washington DC as a contender:

Verizon Center

Flickr Photo Download: The Verizon Center (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ears737/4142537082/sizes/l/ - broken link)
Flickr Photo Download: washington capitals (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aejonze/2186872798/sizes/l/ - broken link)
Flickr Photo Download: F Street NW Looking East from 7th Street NW (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_t_in_dc/515470548/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Nationals Park:
http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/n...washington.jpg
http://www.jdland.com/dc/images/even...bition-397.jpg
http://www.facilityplanners.com/www.facilityplanners.com/portfolio/dc_sports-entertainment_commission/ballpark2005/pic.jpg (broken link)

Fed-Ex Field:
Flickr Photo Download: St. Louis Rams vs. Washington Redskins (http://www.flickr.com/photos/toxikk/2958001113/sizes/o/ - broken link)
Flickr Photo Download: FedEx Field Landover,MD. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/benoitsyxx/2179150892/sizes/l/ - broken link)
Flickr Photo Download: Nosebleed at FedEx (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79006626@N00/1434863460/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Unread 03-30-2010, 09:34 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,451,041 times
Quote:
All you guys got it all wrong!

Arrowhead Stadium

Kauffman Stadium

Sprint Center

KC Speedway

New KC Wizards MLS Stadium (Under Construction)
I thought Arrowhead was a football stadium and Kauffman was for baseball. Just nitpicking.

Unread 03-30-2010, 10:51 PM

17,920 posts, read 13,192,323 times
Philadelphia

Unread 03-31-2010, 09:17 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,993,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Kansas City is overloaded with sports teams. I think it'll be a while before it gets another professional sports team. Maybe if it was completely isolated like Denver, but it isn't. St. Louis isn't even that far away, and they don't even have an NBA or NHL team.
Obviously you do not follow the NHL. St. Louis has had a team (the Blues) since the late 60s.

Unread 03-31-2010, 09:42 AM

6,720 posts, read 7,656,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Obviously you do not follow the NHL. St. Louis has had a team (the Blues) since the late 60s.
Yea and the Blues are one of the more successful and supported franchises too. I have to ask though and not to hijack this thread, but what in the world does St Louis have to do with KC when it comes to supporting sports? There is almost zero fan base overlap between KC and StL. The only reason people might drive from one city to the other to see a sporting event in the other town is to follow their team or because they relocated from one city to another or a rare weekend trip to take in a local game. I have been to a few Blue games, but I would bet less then 1% of the fans at any given game are people originally from KC (not St Louis transplants living in KC). Same with Royals, Chiefs, Cards, Rams, Wizards etc. Sure people from KC drive to StL to see games and vise versa, but it's hardly enough say that it takes StL fans to fully support a KC team or KC fans to fully support a StL team.

St Louis having an NHL team would only help because you would have a rivaly giving people a reason to drive to the other city to see a game. It's a four hour drive to StL, Very few people drive from KC to see the Blues play.

My point here is that KC's sports market for most games is only those about an hour from KC, which is about 2.6 million people. On weekends, the teams do draw from a larger region, but I think that KC gets a lot more out of town fans from Omaha than St Louis by a long shot.

The bottom line is that KC has a state of the art arena and wide open winter schedule combined with the 2.6 million people that live within an hour of KC. There is no reason KC could not support a NHL or NBA team today. The Royals can easily draw 100k for a good weekend series and will sell out many friday or sat night games or games when grenkie pitches despite being one of the worst teams in baseball consistently for 25 years and small weekday crowds. When the Royals even hint at being competitive, attendance starts to skyrocket, even though it's usually short lived. The Chiefs consistently sell out one of the largest stadiums in the league and they really have not done much either in decades. The Wizards sell out most games in the temporary minor league baseball stadium the play in and I'm sure that they will rise to a top team when their new stadium opens, which is supposed to be the best in the league. Speaking of minor leagues, KC has a minor league baseball team that averages like 7-10k a game (more than most AAA teams) and a CHL hockey team that is also doing well. Throw in regular sell outs for racing events at the 90,000 seat speedway and NCAA football at Arrowhead and NCAA events at Sprint Center and KC is a pretty darn good sports town.

On weekends KC does draw well from the 10 million people that consider KC their "big city" or those that consider KC a weekend destination. (Omaha, Wichita, Des Moines, Springfield etc), but St Louis has their own thing going on so you would be surprised how little interaction there is between residents of the two areas compared to Omaha or something. My point is that StL is really a non-issue, they actually help do to rivalries, while KC does have a lot of fans in smaller cities that don't have major league sports. This is why KC with only 2 to 2.5 million people could support another major league team while a city like say Baltimore could not.

NHL or NBA would do fine in KC, probably better than at least half the markets out there now that have a team.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-31-2010 at 09:52 AM..

Unread 03-31-2010, 09:43 AM

6,142 posts, read 6,667,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
On top of the other stadiums I mentioned in Indianapolis, I completely forgot about the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (more historic than any stadiums mentioned before).
Since when did driving your car become a sport? And since when was Indy car racing relevant? Aren't they going out of business anyway? I can't remember the last time I heard anything about Indy car outside of Danica Patrick...and even then nobody watched.

Unread 03-31-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
NHL or NBA would do fine in KC, probably better than at least half the markets out there now that have a team.
KC can have the Timberwolves just as long as Minneapolis somehow gets an NHL team in return. I know St. Paul already has an NHL team, but there are so many people in the TC area that want Wild tickets that another team would do well here.

Unread 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Since when did driving your car become a sport? And since when was Indy car racing relevant? Aren't they going out of business anyway? I can't remember the last time I heard anything about Indy car outside of Danica Patrick...and even then nobody watched.
I totally agree. If those motorheads would get out of their stupid cars and push or pull them around the track a few times, then we would have a sport.

Unread 03-31-2010, 10:11 AM

6,142 posts, read 6,667,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I totally agree. If those motorheads would get out of their stupid cars and push or pull them around the track a few times, then we would have a sport.
Yea seriously. I don't think anyone cares about the IndyCar circuit outside of Indianapolis at this point. I know it was big back in the 70s though...I think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City