U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:26 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,169,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Yeah, that's why the exact same car always wins regardless of the driver, because the car is doing all the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 02:31 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,426,538 times
Quote:
#6 Fenway Park, Boston MA (it's really a piece'o'junk but you have to include it just for the sense of history.
Sacrilege! And Erroneous! Have you ever been to Fenway? It is in fantastic condition. The current owners have put a lot of money and effort into shoring up the old park and ensuring that she remains a gem for several decades to come. Most of the seating has been replaced with newer, more comfortable seats, structural deficiencies have been remedied, concourses have been rationalized and expanded, archways that had been bricked over in an era when train smoke threatened the air inside the park have been re-opened bringing a light and airiness to the grandstands.

I have been spending summers at Fenway for 20 years and ever year it is better than it was the year before. It is beautiful, comfortable, and intimate. And the crowd is something to behold. Fenway is a national landmark and a treasure, decidedly not a "piece'o'junk". Nothing compares to a game at Fenway Park.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,660,695 times
Wrigley

Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,169,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Not a NASCAR fan, but got to drive one as a gift (Although I hate nascar, being a fan and driving one are two different things!) and it really is intensive, you need a lot of strength and endurance. I can't imagine doing that for 3 hours in 140 degree heat. I also enjoy the high performance go cart places (Malibu etc). So I think you could call it a sport and you really do have to be physically fit to be successful at racing. I would argue you have to be in better shape to drive a nacar or indy car than to play a game of baseball.

Is bobsledding a sport? Aren't those guys athletes?
I have drove 20 hours straight during the summer and at times between 90 - 100mph. Does this qualify me as an athlete?

I don't agree that drivers are in better shape than baseball players.

If race car drivers are considered athletes then the crew members in bobsledding are definitely athletes because they have to run, push and jump in the sleigh before one pilots and the other breaks. It's obviously harder if it's only a 2 man crew.

If people really want to rank everyone as athletes, then car drivers should be somewhere below those who skate in roller derbies.

Anyway, I can't be convinced racing a car is a sport so I will just stick to the topic.

Last edited by BlackOut; 03-31-2010 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 02:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,873,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Sacrilege! And Erroneous! Have you ever been to Fenway? It is in fantastic condition. The current owners have put a lot of money and effort into shoring up the old park and ensuring that she remains a gem for several decades to come. Most of the seating has been replaced with newer, more comfortable seats, structural deficiencies have been remedied, concourses have been rationalized and expanded, archways that had been bricked over in an era when train smoke threatened the air inside the park have been re-opened bringing a light and airiness to the grandstands.

I have been spending summers at Fenway for 20 years and ever year it is better than it was the year before. It is beautiful, comfortable, and intimate. And the crowd is something to behold. Fenway is a national landmark and a treasure, decidedly not a "piece'o'junk". Nothing compares to a game at Fenway Park.
Yes. Sorry pal, this is an opinion thread so you can't tell me I'm in error. Actually you can, but then you're really just putting yourself in error. I put it on my top six list, what more do you want? Everyone else must think it's the greatest just because you do? I'm glad it's still there and I hope it continues to be for a long time, but let's just acknowledge its spot in history and then evaluate it for what it really is... a very old park that was never built well in the first place.

Last edited by treedonkey; 03-31-2010 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 02:48 PM

2,060 posts, read 2,457,167 times
Quote:
Yes. Sorry pal, this is an opinion thread so you can't tell me I'm in error. Actually you can, but then you're really just putting myself in error. I put it on my top six list, what more do you want? Everyone else must think it's the greatest just because you do? I'm glad it's still there and I hope it continues to be for a long time, but let's just acknowledge its spot in history and then evaluate it for what it really is... a very old park that was never built well in the first place.
Yeah let's see what Coors Field looks like in 99 years.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I have drove 20 hours straight during the summer and at times between 90 - 100mph. Does this qualify me as an athlete?
Were you in a sanctioned, competitive race? If so, then yes.

I'm a huge baseball fan myself and really not a racing fan at all but I'll be the first one to admit that a lot of the best ballplayers have historically not been all that fit. True, that has changed over the past couple of decades, but let's not go into why... And let's also not even get started on the NFL. We all know about the obesity epidemic in that sport.

I guarantee, if this thread were somehow confined to people who had had any real experience with what it takes to race competitively, every single one of us would agree that it takes athleticism to drive a car in that way. But instead what we're getting is a bunch of ignorami sounding off about something they know nothing about.

What I can't figure out is why fans of these other sports feel so threatened by the idea that something involving a motor could possibly be considered a sport. What are you, a bunch of sports agents that have been losing fans to Nascar?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 PM

13,222 posts, read 12,633,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Well in Arlington, TX you can catch a baseball or football game then walk across the street and ride some roller coasters!
Haha so true.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Yeah let's see what Coors Field looks like in 99 years.
I think the question was what ARE the top 10 cities for... ballparks. Not what will they be in 99 years. Will you be happier if I agree that Coors park will probably not even exist in 99 years? Let me know if you plan on being around to verify that. As for THIS CENTURY, I still say Fenway is junk. Historically significant junk, but still junk, pretty much like the rest of Boston.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:05 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,426,538 times
Quote:
Yes. Sorry pal, this is an opinion thread so you can't tell me I'm in error. Actually you can, but then you're really just putting yourself in error. I put it on my top six list, what more do you want? Everyone else must think it's the greatest just because you do? I'm glad it's still there and I hope it continues to be for a long time, but let's just acknowledge its spot in history and then evaluate it for what it really is... a very old park that was never built well in the first place.
If it wasn't built well, how can it still be standing? But again, I ask if you've ever been there. You can't properly offer an opinion without the experience. But trust me when I say that it is enjoyable, and not just for nostalgic reasons.
[edit]
Quote:
I think the question was what ARE the top 10 cities for... ballparks. Not what will they be in 99 years. Will you be happier if I agree that Coors park will probably not even exist in 99 years? Let me know if you plan on being around to verify that. As for THIS CENTURY, I still say Fenway is junk. Historically significant junk, but still junk, pretty much like the rest of Boston.
Ah, I see you are just a troll. Carry on then, we have quite a few bridges in Boston. I recommend the Longfellow.
[/edit]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City