Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 04:29 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Pittsburgh:

The new home of the Penguins - Consol Energy Arena (opening this fall, the bldg on the bottom):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Hmm... kinda like baseball.

Obviously, the longer and faster the race, the more physical strength and endurance it will take to really compete and stay sharp at high speed.
baseball requires running and throwing, which require athletics. I don't see endurance as athletic but as something completely different. And I don't see all ball players as serious athletes. There ave been plenty of fat relief pitchers and DHs that couldn't run to save their lives that insult serious athletes.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:07 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
baseball requires running and throwing, which require athletics. I don't see endurance as athletic but as something completely different. And I don't see all ball players as serious athletes. There ave been plenty of fat relief pitchers and DHs that couldn't run to save their lives that insult serious athletes.
Hmm... who DO YOU consider to be serious athletes then? Football players? Jai Alai gamers? Sprinters? Yourself? Because most of the serious athletes I know have admiration instead of disdain toward those who compete in other sports at which they do not excel. In my experience, it's usually just the out-of-shape fans who criticize the athletes of their less favorite sports as not being 'real athletes'.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
If only your mom didn't make a mistake...
What are you trying to say?

Old 03-31-2010, 05:23 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Hmm... who DO YOU consider to be serious athletes then? Football players? Jai Alai gamers? Sprinters? Yourself? Because most of the serious athletes I know have admiration instead of disdain toward those who compete in other sports at which they do not excel. In my experience, it's usually just the out-of-shape fans who criticize the athletes of their less favorite sports as not being 'real athletes'.
Who I consider a real athlete depends on the person.... or position in the sport.
And I'm not some out of shape fan. I play hockey, basketball, lacrosse, and cycle.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I'd like to see you in a race car, having to race with numerous other competitors, under strenuous conditions in a confined space, and continuing to do so for a couple hundred laps around a race track.

It requires physical endurance, and mental endurance, which is more than playing 1 hour of football, or 48 minutes of basketball.

And although it doesn't require the physicality it might for an actual basketball or football game, it still is a lot longer. Additionally, there is more danger associated with racing, where one is risking their lives every time, a lot more so than other sports.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
If you like beer dumped on you.
Wimpy Tampa fans deserve it.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Wimpy Tampa fans deserve it.
Its called class, something philly fans no nothing about

Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
I think Atlanta deserves honerable mention although I am more impressed with Dallas overall.Although I like how Atlanta is more centrally located with all the facilities being close by and in the downtown area with lots of attractions nearby.There is also the fact that one of the finest NASCAR tracks.

Phillips Arena

Turner Field

http://www.conceptsremembered.com/images/TurnerFieldLg.jpg (broken link)

Georgia Dome

http://www.chick-fil-abowl.com/Portals/0/2008/article%20images/Dome-from-Money-Shot.CP.jpg (broken link)

Also just curious.In the county of Gwinnett,they have a new triple A Braves minor league stadium.It is really a first class minor league facility.Any other cities have minor league facilities of like quality?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Its called class, something philly fans no nothing about
Does Tampa even have fans? Your stadiums seem to be full of people cheering for the opposing teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City